Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Thomas Burns (nerdboy52) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
About Me English professor at Ohio Wesleyan University, Director of Perkins Observatory

Words to live by: "Alas, poor Yogi. I knew him, Horatio. He was a bear of infinite appetite. So they shot him."

More words to live by: "Yeah, I'm a nerd. Want to make something of it . . . punk?" ;vD

Even more words to live by:
Solvitur ambulando.
"it is solved by walking."
St. Augustine
CityColumbus
StateOH
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListShoulder season gear list 2

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Thomas Burns

Showing 101 - 110 of 823 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...83

Forum » Thread

+1 on the iPhone
Well, the question isn't so much whether you need a smart phone or whether you want one. Lately, I've been using mine for multiple purposes that required me to carry other stuff: 1. m...

In Chaff » Do I need a smart phone?
August 19, 3:07pm

Frameless packs
I really do think this is one of those YMMV situations. I've found that my zPacks frameless is perfectly comfortable below 20 pounds sans hipbelt and stays as long as I have my foldable GG pad ...

In Philosophy & Technique » The craze with frameless
August 15, 12:29pm

Heetsheets Emergency Bivies . . .
. . . are tough, flexible, and quiet. I added a full-length stick-on zipper to mine (2.4 oz for the zipper, 3.4 oz. for the bivy). It spreads out to be my groundcloth, and zips up under my Zpacks t...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » breaking the 3 lb barrier- bushcraft style :)
August 06, 7:35pm

Yikes!
As the old sixties joke button slogan goes: "Help! The paranoids are after me." Sorry, all, about the thread hijack. I'm done. Goodbye. Stargazer

In Philosophy & Technique » Tooth Paste Dots: which toothpaste
August 06, 7:28pm

Baking soda
I agree (I don't carry anything else -- neither soap nor toothpaste -- on the trail), but with this proviso: I only use BS for teeth brushing on the trail and only occasionally in real life....

August 06, 6:18pm

Baking soda
I currently carry a small baggie of baking soda, which I use for everything -- including teeth brushing. However, as my dentist pointed out, BS is highly abrasive. Occasional use is fine, but you&#...

August 06, 5:52am

Going dotty
Semi-seriously, a few of these in a snack-sized baggie has got to be lighter than the equivalent amount in a toothpaste tube with that heavy lid. Besides, the dots are also a cheapskate's wa...

August 05, 6:27pm

Good one, Doug!
And half a dot, slightly chewed, in each nostril will mask the stink after a week or so in the same clothes. Ooooooommmmmm . . . . Stargazer

August 05, 4:01pm

The toothpaste-dot approach
>Travel style toothpase in tube weighs 1 oz. Apart from having some fun with young children, I see no reason to do this. Ah, my friend. UL is a mode of thought, a way of life. Every gram ...

August 05, 3:09pm

More on buffs
You are so right, John. I like my bandannas of the "do rag" variety for headwear. Forgot to mention in my previous post that buffs can also be worn as sun hats to protect the back of the ...

In GEAR » Best backpacking hat?
August 04, 3:24pm

All Reader Reviews by Thomas Burns

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

FlexAir Pillow Dual Compartment Ultralight
>I think I'll stick with my Wal-Mart water wing pillow, which is about a third the price, a little lighter, and just as comfy if wrapped in my fleece jacket. Yo, Michael. Always looking for ...

In Miscellaneous Products
October 11, 11:18am

Fanatic Fringe Thompson Peak
Ditto to the above review. I added a top compression cord by tying a short length of cord to the upper drawcord, looping it over the top, and connecting it to the lifting strap loop with a small carab...

In Backpacks - Frameless
May 14, 6:13am