Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Sean Staplin (mtnrat) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern Cdn Rockies
About Me Sean Staplin has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Sean Staplin

Showing 101 - 110 of 192 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Forum » Thread

1/2 pyramid
For high wind/rain conditions I pitch the 1/2 pyramid wide and low. When it gets really bad I just pull in the lower end of the pole while maintaining tension on one edge. Not a perfect no muss set...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » Approaching 4lb barrier....need feedback on modded MLD Poncho Tarp Specifically
August 09, 3:41am

What is it?
What is it?

In GEAR » Shoes: How light is too light?
August 05, 8:52pm

Received
I received mine. They are great and seem to be well made. Thumbs up. I think these will become the standard to which all others are compared.

In Gear Swap » Peter'sHeadNets are Back .. soon.
August 05, 12:04pm

Tarp
When it is really nasty at tree line I pitch my BMW poncho tarp in a half pyramid as low as i can. When the wind swirls and tries to drive rain into the opening I just grab the handle of my pole an...

In Philosophy & Technique » Any pearls on how to use a bivy/tarp setup?
August 04, 10:38pm

Trail PO closings
Here is an article on the subject. Some interesting comments as well. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43935668/ns/travel-active_travel/

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » US Post Office Closings: Stehekin & others near the PCT
July 29, 8:28am

LOL Bob
LOL Bob. I have had visions of the bear just grabbing my shirt, tucking it in and using it as a bib as he enjoys my soft tender flesh. :)

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » First solo trip
July 16, 4:02pm

As for bears
As for bears of which I live and hike in area with lots of Grizzly and Black bear. I think I have found a good way to deal with them. I usually make some noise, but when I do come up on a bear, I s...

July 16, 3:22pm

Stop to look around
When I am solo which is most of the time, I have a rule that if I want to look around, I stop. It is very easy to twist something if you are not watching where you are stepping. A good thing to do ...

July 16, 3:10pm

Good reply
Good reply Brad. My experience going lighter over the years may be different from others. I was always a minimalist, even when each item of my gear was heavy. I started using just a bivy 30 years a...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » XUL Definitions
July 16, 8:48am

not worthy
Addie, we are not worthy. :)

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » We need a SUL Thread PLEASE
July 15, 8:50pm

All Reader Reviews by Sean Staplin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Titanium Goat AGP AGP
Collapsed Size next to ULA CDT

In Trekking Poles
December 18, 11:55am

Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape
A 5 so far, but I have only just set it up and slept in it. My main reason to post a preliminary review is to comment on the set up. I bought this tarp/poncho used without instructions. First set up t...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
April 20, 12:29pm