BPL Community Profile

Mark Larson (mlarson) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southeast USA
About Me Lifelong student and nerd in general, currently working on the web. I have a bias for higher mileage and longer days on the trail. Most of my hikes are on the border of SUL & UL; I still weigh everything, but pretty much stopped using spreadsheets. I read all the time, blog less, and run a good bit.
CityAtlanta
StateGA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.mlarson.org

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mark Larson

Showing 101 - 110 of 338 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...34

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: 100 weight fleece examples
Dale writes: "I'm wondering if the $75 shirts are markedly different than the $20 models." From my experience, the difference in price shows up in terms of durability. The off-brand stuff will t...

In GEAR » 100 weight fleece examples
September 17, 6:46pm

Re: Re: Weighing Gear
I use the Pelouze SP5, which I believe is the same one David mentions above. Up to 5lbs in tenths of ounces, and in grams. Definitely shop around, E-Bay is a good suggestion. -Mark

In GEAR » Weighing Gear
September 17, 6:35pm

Re: Re: If you're bored.
I love the AT photos. It was like being in my old footprints again. -Mark

In Photo Gallery » If you're bored.
September 15, 12:34pm

Re: Ideas for 2007
This idea just hit me: how about a nice overview of winter hiking footwear options? There are a number of different product designs out there from shoes or boots; neoprene socks or waterproofs or t...

In Editor's Roundtable » READERS - What do you want investigated in 2007?
September 14, 9:08pm

FS: GoLite, Kiva Packs; Equinox Silponcho
All items are spoken for and on the way to their new owners. Thank you all for looking. ------ GoLite Infinity $30--sold Black, Size L, 33.9oz This pack has seen about 10 days use from me...

In Gear Swap » FS: GoLite, Kiva Packs; Equinox Silponcho
September 14, 8:57am

Re: Mission accomplie! pass the Advil
Ibuprofen is also known in the thru-hiking crowd as "Vitamin I". I found it has helped on really, really long days. I have taken it at night, not necessarily for pain relief at night, but for re...

In Gear Lists » Pack List for a Sierra High Route variation
September 07, 9:00pm

Re: Tarp / SpinnShelter Paradox
A couple thoughts: Here in the Southeast, more often than not I end up camping in some sort of forest. Open territory can be hard to come by, so it's not uncommon to have leaves, pine needles, pine...

In GEAR » Tarp / SpinnShelter Paradox
September 07, 8:55pm

Re: Great Idea
Contact juggling can be pretty cool. It's a lot like watching someone who's really good at footbag or a breakdancer who can pop really well (see YouTube for hundreds of great examples). Having that...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Consumable Juggling balls
September 06, 8:56pm

Re: RE: What do you want investigated in 2007
"why not make a "FAQs" section that can be updated periodically to cover some of the state of the art in that particular field" To piggyback on Dane's idea, how about something like a glossary i...

In Editor's Roundtable » READERS - What do you want investigated in 2007?
September 05, 3:20pm

Re: Tarp design
Wikipedia can be a great clearinghouse for information about freeware, shareware, and open-source software. Perhaps start with this article and see what you can find. -Mark

In Make Your Own Gear » Tarp design
September 05, 1:56pm

All Reader Reviews by Mark Larson

Showing 1 - 10 of 18 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

GoLite Virga
Used this one on the AT this summer. My particular model has 1 large pocket on the right-hand side. I accidentally purchased a Small @ 8.1oz, but it ended up working out just fine for size [5'11, ...

In Clothing - Raingear
July 18, 8:18am

Montrail Masai
I like the Masai quite a bit. They don't wear as well as many other shoes. The toe rubber and seams started to flake out around the 300-mile mark, but surprisingly the fabric itself showed very li...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
June 01, 10:26am

Gossamer Gear Miniposa
I've put about 1000 miles on this pack, and so far it has easily displaced my GoLite Jam as my go-to pack. And I really love my Jam. I had the new Miniposa mailed to me in the middle of a long ...

In Backpacks - Frameless
May 14, 9:29am

Inov8 Flyroc 310
The Flyrocs are quite good. The deep-lugged soles make for excellent grip. I like that the heel isn't significantly raised, so you the shoes feel nice and close to the ground. The open mesh lets some ...

July 02, 9:07am

Evernew Nonstick Titanium 0.9 L Pot
This pot has great dimensions. Wide base, but not too shallow. Also wide enough to fit a trimmed spoon inside with my entire kitchen, and still close completely. I like the volume for meals on long-te...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 16, 11:19am

Gatorade Bottle
I'll put a plug in the for the Gatorade Endurance bottles in particular. They are a little more narrow and taller than the standard squatty bottles, so they fit more easily in side pockets. 1L/34oz ca...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
November 04, 3:05am

Salomon Tech Amhibian
This shoe is almost brilliant. I love the mesh, and the thin tongue is very comfortable. The footbed is probably the most supportive and comfortable I've ever used--no sore spots or aches. My bones an...

November 04, 3:00am

U.S. Department of Defense MRE Spoon
Meals-ready-to-eat come with great spoons, and some food, too. I'm not sure who the manufacturer is or where to find them commercially. The spoons have a generous length, long to reach the bottom o...

In Cookware - Other
November 04, 2:49am

Montane Featherlite
A great, great windshirt, and I've been really surprised by its inclement weather performance. I've been on brief runs [20-40 minutes] in the rain with the Featherlite. While it eventually wets out an...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
November 04, 2:40am

Equinox Silnylon Poncho
This is a review of the non-extended version, which I've really grown to like. Just a bit over 7oz, about 7.75 feet long, and a bargain at $40-50. I have had no problems with durability; snags on tree...

In Clothing - Raingear
November 04, 2:29am