November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Mark Larson (mlarson) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southeast USA
About Me Lifelong student and nerd in general, currently working on the web. I have a bias for higher mileage and longer days on the trail. Most of my hikes are on the border of SUL & UL; I still weigh everything, but pretty much stopped using spreadsheets. I read all the time, blog less, and run a good bit.
My Website URL

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mark Larson

Showing 101 - 110 of 338 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...34

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: 100 weight fleece examples
Dale writes: "I'm wondering if the $75 shirts are markedly different than the $20 models." From my experience, the difference in price shows up in terms of durability. The off-brand stuff will t...

In GEAR » 100 weight fleece examples
September 17, 6:46pm

Re: Re: Weighing Gear
I use the Pelouze SP5, which I believe is the same one David mentions above. Up to 5lbs in tenths of ounces, and in grams. Definitely shop around, E-Bay is a good suggestion. -Mark

In GEAR » Weighing Gear
September 17, 6:35pm

Re: Re: If you're bored.
I love the AT photos. It was like being in my old footprints again. -Mark

In Photo Gallery » If you're bored.
September 15, 12:34pm

Re: Ideas for 2007
This idea just hit me: how about a nice overview of winter hiking footwear options? There are a number of different product designs out there from shoes or boots; neoprene socks or waterproofs or t...

In Editor's Roundtable » READERS - What do you want investigated in 2007?
September 14, 9:08pm

FS: GoLite, Kiva Packs; Equinox Silponcho
All items are spoken for and on the way to their new owners. Thank you all for looking. ------ GoLite Infinity $30--sold Black, Size L, 33.9oz This pack has seen about 10 days use from me...

In Gear Swap » FS: GoLite, Kiva Packs; Equinox Silponcho
September 14, 8:57am

Re: Mission accomplie! pass the Advil
Ibuprofen is also known in the thru-hiking crowd as "Vitamin I". I found it has helped on really, really long days. I have taken it at night, not necessarily for pain relief at night, but for re...

In Gear Lists » Pack List for a Sierra High Route variation
September 07, 9:00pm

Re: Tarp / SpinnShelter Paradox
A couple thoughts: Here in the Southeast, more often than not I end up camping in some sort of forest. Open territory can be hard to come by, so it's not uncommon to have leaves, pine needles, pine...

In GEAR » Tarp / SpinnShelter Paradox
September 07, 8:55pm

Re: Great Idea
Contact juggling can be pretty cool. It's a lot like watching someone who's really good at footbag or a breakdancer who can pop really well (see YouTube for hundreds of great examples). Having that...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Consumable Juggling balls
September 06, 8:56pm

Re: RE: What do you want investigated in 2007
"why not make a "FAQs" section that can be updated periodically to cover some of the state of the art in that particular field" To piggyback on Dane's idea, how about something like a glossary i...

In Editor's Roundtable » READERS - What do you want investigated in 2007?
September 05, 3:20pm

Re: Tarp design
Wikipedia can be a great clearinghouse for information about freeware, shareware, and open-source software. Perhaps start with this article and see what you can find. -Mark

In Make Your Own Gear » Tarp design
September 05, 1:56pm

All Reader Reviews by Mark Larson

Showing 1 - 10 of 18 | Page: 1 2

GoLite Virga
Used this one on the AT this summer. My particular model has 1 large pocket on the right-hand side. I accidentally purchased a Small @ 8.1oz, but it ended up working out just fine for size [5'11, ...

In Clothing - Raingear
July 18, 8:18am

Montrail Masai
I like the Masai quite a bit. They don't wear as well as many other shoes. The toe rubber and seams started to flake out around the 300-mile mark, but surprisingly the fabric itself showed very li...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
June 01, 10:26am

Gossamer Gear Miniposa
I've put about 1000 miles on this pack, and so far it has easily displaced my GoLite Jam as my go-to pack. And I really love my Jam. I had the new Miniposa mailed to me in the middle of a long ...

In Backpacks - Frameless
May 14, 9:29am

Inov8 Flyroc 310
The Flyrocs are quite good. The deep-lugged soles make for excellent grip. I like that the heel isn't significantly raised, so you the shoes feel nice and close to the ground. The open mesh lets some ...

July 02, 9:07am

Evernew Nonstick Titanium 0.9 L Pot
This pot has great dimensions. Wide base, but not too shallow. Also wide enough to fit a trimmed spoon inside with my entire kitchen, and still close completely. I like the volume for meals on long-te...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 16, 11:19am

Gatorade Bottle
I'll put a plug in the for the Gatorade Endurance bottles in particular. They are a little more narrow and taller than the standard squatty bottles, so they fit more easily in side pockets. 1L/34oz ca...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
November 04, 3:05am

Salomon Tech Amhibian
This shoe is almost brilliant. I love the mesh, and the thin tongue is very comfortable. The footbed is probably the most supportive and comfortable I've ever used--no sore spots or aches. My bones an...

November 04, 3:00am

U.S. Department of Defense MRE Spoon
Meals-ready-to-eat come with great spoons, and some food, too. I'm not sure who the manufacturer is or where to find them commercially. The spoons have a generous length, long to reach the bottom o...

In Cookware - Other
November 04, 2:49am

Montane Featherlite
A great, great windshirt, and I've been really surprised by its inclement weather performance. I've been on brief runs [20-40 minutes] in the rain with the Featherlite. While it eventually wets out an...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
November 04, 2:40am

Equinox Silnylon Poncho
This is a review of the non-extended version, which I've really grown to like. Just a bit over 7oz, about 7.75 feet long, and a bargain at $40-50. I have had no problems with durability; snags on tree...

In Clothing - Raingear
November 04, 2:29am