BPL Community Profile

Erin McKittrick (mckittre) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Seldovia, Alaska
About Me Finished up a 4000 mile, year-long, human-powered Journey on the Wild Coast. From Seattle to the Aleutians by foot, packraft, and skis.

www.GroundTruthTrekking.org
My Website URLhttp://www.groundtruthtrekking.org

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Erin McKittrick

Showing 101 - 110 of 129 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Forum » Thread

Re: I like nature- I am a dirty, crunchy, organic-eating, bike-riding hippie
It seems there are a couple of things to think about. One is our environmental impact as consumers. This is probably best looked at as a total. How much total stuff we buy, traveling we do, e...

In Philosophy & Technique » I like nature- I am a dirty, crunchy, organic-eating, bike-riding hippie.
December 28, 3:36pm

Re: when you can't rely on DWR
It's interesting to hear what people think about the newer fabrics. I've been poking at wet weather systems for years, but usually with homemade gear (harder to get the latest snazziest fa...

In Editor's Roundtable » A Lightweight Guide to Backpacking in Sustained, Cold Rain
December 28, 1:59pm

Re: when you can't rely on DWR
Richard - Thanks for the thoughts. For the SE Alaska portion of my trip, I'll be doing a mix of hiking and packrafting, biased towards hiking. Since I'm going to need to lug a couple we...

In Editor's Roundtable » A Lightweight Guide to Backpacking in Sustained, Cold Rain
December 28, 12:01pm

when you can't rely on DWR
I do a lot of stuff in the wet (rain, packrafting, and both together), so I find this a fascinating topic. However, it seems like the reliance on a working DWR finish is completely impractical...

December 26, 10:46pm

Re: How does one become a thru-hiker?
It seems like the general consensus is - just do it anyway. Transition times are good (between jobs, between schooling, etc...). Don't be tied down to a lot of stuff, and you can decide to ma...

In Philosophy & Technique » How does one become a thru-hiker?
December 20, 12:40am

Re: Alaska footwear question
In my opinion, you don't need boots for the Alaska backcountry. Boots will be a detriment. I always use trail runners (Montrail Vitesse and Hardrock are what I've used). One pair lasts...

In GEAR » Hello and Alaska footwear question
December 19, 6:54pm

Re: One luxury
Does a camera count? That's the one thing I carry that seems to keep getting heavier and heavier... (now a digital SLR with a couple different lenses, extra batteries, memory cards, dry bags ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » One Luxury
December 17, 12:01am

without maps
Depends on what you mean... Have I headed out without a map? Sure, on little day hikes around Seattle. Have I ended up without a map in the middle of the Alaska wilderness, for one reason or a...

In Philosophy & Technique » specific Map question:
December 16, 10:36pm

Re: Finding game trails
Depends on the animal. Some make more useful trails than others. Caribou, for instance, seem to favor the approach of making a million minor trails on every hillside. Easy to find, useless to ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Finding game trails
December 13, 11:02pm

Re: Making a sleeping system warmer
For external heat, rocks heated in the fire are also nice. And there's usually no limitation to the size and number of them you can have (unlike hot water bottles). The only concern is that y...

In Gear Lists » Making a sleeping system warmer
December 13, 10:51am

All Reader Reviews by Erin McKittrick

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

MLD Supermid 2010
Simple. Roomy. Effective. Hig and I spent a year living in t...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
July 20, 12:19pm