BPL Community Profile

Mark Hurd (markhurd) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale South Texas
About Me Backpacker, climber, cyclist, sometime kayaker, aerospace engineer, entomologist, physician, DIY gear maker, gadget junky, hammock aficionado and former daguerreotypist.---- "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt
CitySan Antonio
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mark Hurd

Showing 101 - 110 of 457 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...46

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Using Compression Sacks for a Tent
Greg, Great advice. I never really thought about it, but you're right. Taking the time to pack and repack until it all works is one of the best ways to learn. When I downsized to an UL b...

In GEAR » Using Compression Sacks for a Tent
May 23, 3:47pm

Re: Re: Which Alcohol Stove
Gerry, You are so right about pot diameter. I like your experiment! The beer can and mug type pots always take more time and more fuel, but then often weigh less and take up less space. Also...

In GEAR » Which alcohol stove?
May 07, 2:45pm

Re: Re: Re: The Performance of Alcohol Fuels for Backpacking Stoves<br/>Part One: Three Straight Alcohols and Alcohol Blends
>FYI Alcohol/water mixes and flames are covered in part two of this series which will be published soon.< Hi, Tony, I am anxiously awaiting the next installment. -Mark

In Editor's Roundtable » The Performance of Alcohol Fuels for Backpacking Stoves
Part One: Three Straight Alcohols and Alcohol Blends

May 07, 12:17am

Re: tiny little stoves
>Don't you run the risk of losing your dinner?< Yeah, happened to me a couple of times. Part of the reason I switched to a cone. -Mark

May 06, 12:37pm

Re: Re: Re: The Performance of Alcohol Fuels for Backpacking Stoves&lt;br/&gt;Part One: Three Straight Alcohols and Alcohol Blends
>Once the alcohol has vaporised and left the vicinity of the stove to become a flame, the chemistry is fixed< Thanks Roger, but I see merit to David R's argument that the air fuel mixt...

In Editor's Roundtable » The Performance of Alcohol Fuels for Backpacking Stoves

May 06, 11:47am

Re: The Performance of Alcohol Fuels for Backpacking Stoves&lt;br/&gt;Part One: Three Straight Alcohols and Alcohol Blends
Tony and Roger, Nice work! It is great to have the scientific method applied to this analysis. I have used and advocated blended fuels in the past, but have gravitated to plain ethanol over t...

May 06, 12:30am

Re: "ADVANCED" water treatment
Barbara, For the steripen, you may consider taking your batteries out between use and keep them warm, like in a pocket. I've been using mine for over a year and the only time I've ever h...

In GEAR » water treatment
May 05, 11:29pm

Re: Re: Which alcohol stove?
I'm with Jim on using a stove that is miserly with the fuel. I've used Tinny's stoves from minibull design, the gramweenie, and zelph's starlyte. I've made cat, super cat, teali...

May 04, 9:28pm

Re: Re: Re: caldera cone
Rand, I know this is off topic, but IMHO I think the kind of information in your reply to my question should be published on your website to let folks know the background on your stoves. Maybe i...

In GEAR » caldera cone
May 04, 12:45am

Re: caldera cone
Rand, Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure what AGG could sell, and I appreciate the insight on stove performance in the cone. Also, Congratulations on the new Caldera Keg lines! -Mark ...

In GEAR » caldera cone
May 02, 6:35pm

All Reader Reviews by Mark Hurd

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Packa eVent
I got an eVent Packa when they first came out and have used it quite a bit over the last couple years. The jacket weighs 16 oz, but it is also a pack cover, so if you subtract 1.5 oz for that you ...

In Clothing - Raingear
October 16, 4:52pm

Warbonnet BlackBird
Like the other reviewers, I am really pleased with this piece of gear. Brandon makes each hammock himself. He offers two weights of fabric and single and double bottom models. The roominess of th...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
January 22, 6:31pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
I am reviewing the Caldera Keg, but much of this also applies to the Caldera Cone for the 1.3L Evernew pot which I also own. Easy To Set Up- unroll the cone and slip the dovetails together then ins...

In Stoves - Alcohol
November 06, 5:10pm

TarpTent
My first tent under 7 lbs. was the Cloudburst 2. Well, no, actually it was a Squall 2 which I got and loved, but my wife, Nancy, thought it might be a little, too snug. So I got the Cloudburst 2. Well...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
April 16, 7:18pm

Six Moon Designs
I purchase both the Gatewood Cape and the Essence '07 pack from this company. Very responsive, quick shipping, and well made products. I have not had a problem with either item. Concerning durabil...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 28, 8:27pm

Six Moon Designs Essence '07
Review of the Six Moon Designs Essences ’07 pack I have entered this as a new review as I believe the redesigned pack is significantly different from the previous version and therefore deserves its...

In Backpacks - Frameless
February 27, 6:37pm