Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Jim W. (jimqpublic) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale So-Cal
About Me 46 years old. Married with two kids- Daughter born in 2000, son born in 2003. Loved camping as a little kid. Then we moved to the foot of Mt. Whitney when I was 13. I spent my teenage years backpacking, hiking, snowshoeing, xc & downhill skiing. A lot less since then (living in LA).

Jim
StateCalifornia
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear List2009 solo & family gear

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim W.

Showing 101 - 110 of 876 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...88

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: There Must Be More About Gear Swap We Can Bitch About
We were all Small or Medium once. Bought gear. Then sat behind the computer all year drinking soda and beer for the cans to make stoves and cook pots. Didn't get any exercise, didn't hik...

In Chaff » High Price of Gear on Gear Swap Forum
March 08, 2:41pm

FSO complete
Let's just say that about 1/2 of my garage is camping or other outdoor gear for the family. A sampling: 12 mattresses 11 pair skis 10 tents 9 packs 8 sleeping bags 7 stoves 6 pair cra...

In Chaff » Full Skin Out.....of ALL my gear
March 07, 12:18pm

Re: Face cover
Any thoughts on the sun blocking properties of a black mosquito head net?

In Multiple Use Gear » shemagh/bandanna for high altitude?
March 07, 9:11am

Bears are not all as practiced as Yogi
My parents have a place in the far northern Sierra Nevada foothills. Bears go through on occasion and get into trash cans. The accepted local practice is to bungee the lid on. Apparently if the ...

In GEAR » ursack vs bear canister
March 06, 4:27pm

Re: LYV or beyond
In 2008 I got a same-day walk up permit and all they had was for LYV. (I could have had any option for the next day but this was a cancellation). I left HI at 9:00. Got to LYV, had a swim, had a...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » JMT First camp site
March 06, 1:06pm

If you don't want to get sick, hike alone.
Almost every Sierra tale of gastrointestinal distress comes from someone who was part of a group that thought they were properly treating their water. Probably true- It wasn't the water rather...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Gear necessities for JMT mid july
March 06, 12:48pm

Re: Re: Re: get the aluminium one
I suppose I should have re-read his article before being so bold. Still, it is doubtful that he tested more than a few of each model. It is my understanding that the stove itself is the same, so ...

In GEAR » Titanium JetBoil Sol -- CAUTION
March 06, 12:36pm

Re: get the aluminium one
... "Ti version" ... "slightly more fuel efficient (gas mileage) and has a slightly faster boil." Don't bet on it being significant- I would bet that if you tested a repr...

In GEAR » Titanium JetBoil Sol -- CAUTION
March 06, 9:10am

Rain, Rain, Rain
Rain pouring all night. Rain pouring all day. Every flat spot a lake. Every sloped spot a river. Those are tough conditions which thankfully I haven't backpacked in. Generally it isn&#...

In GEAR » using a water RESISTANT bivy in the rain..?
March 05, 4:24pm

Re: Huh?
Sadly, you're right on the USFS road building and NPS concessionaire point. I was not proposing pure preservation, rather reasonable conservation. I think that Conservation is the best bet ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Forest Service to Drop Adventure Pass Fee
March 05, 4:10pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim W.

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Six Moon Designs StarLite
I purchased the SMD Starlight with hip belt pockets and frame stays for a 2008 hike of the John Muir Trail. Currently it has about 5 weeks of backpacking use. Weight is per spec at just under 2 po...

In Backpacks - Frameless
January 30, 11:19am

Black Diamond Equipment Customer Service
First, I'll say that usually before you call Customer Service of an equipment manufacturer it means something has gone wrong. This wasn't true for me at all- I contacted them for advice on wh...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 11, 5:06pm

Nike Lava Dome
My original Lava Domes lasted me several years- Wearing to school, mountain biking, hiking, working as a land surveyor. I remember carrying 5 pound Asolo boots in my pack as I wore the Lava Domes wa...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
April 02, 4:40pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
4.5/5 for overall performance/weight. I bought a Jetboil PCS last summer and used it for testing at home, a two week solo trip, and during a few family day hikes. I love the system compared to...

In Stoves - Canister
March 05, 2:10pm

Sierra Trading Post (STP) web shopping and service
I've been shopping with STP for at least 20 years. The web made this sort of business much easier to shop. Prices are almost always great. Being closeouts, overstocks, and 2nds you have to ke...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 22, 2:48pm