Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 101 - 110 of 1890 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...189

Forum » Thread

Re: Winter is still here in force
It's raining now Jim. Value is falling. Maybe a package deal with one of the lakes? You can have one of our lakes when you pry it from our cold, dead hands. Oh, now that I think about it...

In Gear Swap » Winter is still here in force
March 03, 4:57pm

Re: Winter is still here in force
@Stephen: -14F ... phffftt, -29F yesterday at my destination for next weekend;-) and our BPL friend from Lake Laberge would call that skinny dipping weather, he-he @Ken: No price given. It'...

In Gear Swap » Winter is still here in force
March 03, 7:27am

Re: Eagles are majestic?
I think of goldens as being in open country like Denali and Montana. Also Nunavut and northern Quebec. The Nunavuts winter in the driftless zones of SE MN, SW WI, NE IA and NW IL. I think the ...

In Photography » Golden Eagle eating deer that mountain lion killed
March 01, 6:40pm

re: Kestrel
While the Golden is the largest raptor in NA. Maybe, maybe not. Not everyone considers New World Vultures to be raptors but current prevailing opinion leans towards yes. Those in the yes c...

February 26, 5:46pm

Re: Osprey
Very cool Golden pics! But your Osprey is a male American Kestrel. All of those are raptors though These are Osprey: http://bit.ly/MtsoYj

February 26, 7:09am

Re: Send a Scout to Philmont
JC, Be aware that Philmont resists scouts solo tenting ... are fine with adults solo. Even if they allowed solo scout tenting it would reduce the "goofy factor" ... a key ingredient t...

In Philmont » Send a Scout to Philmont
February 24, 7:16pm

Re: Me for 3 on the SHT
Glenn, I've bike shuttled on the SHT some. I've used a poncho successfully hiking (but a largish one, 5'x8') ... but not for cycling. You could easily have a 2 hr bike shuttl...

In Gear Lists » Me for 3 on the SHT
February 24, 3:09pm

Superior Hiking Trail teaser
Not quite a trip report but I'm not finding a better fit for this ... Another guy (Tom Salwasser) has created this delightful SHT photo montage from photos taken over the past several years.

In Post-Trip Reports » Superior Hiking Trail teaser
February 24, 2:58am

Re: Packable Min/Max Thermometer
Be aware of the temperature range on electronic thermometers relative to temperatures you might encounter, especially on the low end The acurite's low end is -4F, there are others with the l...

In GEAR » Packable Min/Max Thermometer
February 21, 8:55pm

Re: The CAFFIN tents come
Hi Roger, Another PM headed your way.

In GEAR » The CAFFIN tents come!
February 20, 5:35pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am