BPL Community Profile

James Lantz (jameslantz) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale North Georgia
About Me 52 YO physician(Internal Medicine), Eagle Scout, Philmont veteran, convert to lightweight backpacking in summer of 2007.  Passions include Jesus Christ, backpacking, tennis, grilling & barbeque-ing, single malt scotch(in moderation of course) & Georgia Southern football!!!
CityMetro Atlanta
StateGeorgia
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Lantz

Showing 101 - 110 of 117 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Forum » Thread

Lightweight Testimony...
Jamie, Thanks for a great article! My gear list shares many of your choices which makes me think I'm headed in the right direction! Lightweight is definitely liberating. My wife refers to ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Testimony: My Journey into Lightweight Backpacking
February 04, 6:42pm

Beverages
Joe, You can usually find cask strength scotch at larger beverage stores with larger selections. Macallan, Laphroaig, & Aberlour all make cask strength offerings & all are about 25% more...

In Philosophy & Technique » Adult beverages in the backcountry.
January 22, 12:58pm

Montbell Ex Light: UL Madness
Allison, I own the MB UL Inner Jacket & recommend it highly. Like you I would have doubts about a lighter alternative. For me the pockets are a must. Thus far my jacket has lost one down ...

In GEAR » MontBell Ex Light: UL Madness?
January 19, 4:00pm

The Angel's share
Allison, The alcohol & water both evaporate thru the cask which is known as the "angel's share". I would assume that many factors such as the porosity of the white oak casks, t...

January 15, 2:17pm

Single Malt "neat vs splash"
William, I envy you. One of my dreams is to experience the "Whisky trail" in Scotland. My use of a splash of water is a very small amount, certainly not approaching 50% but perhaps maybe ...

January 14, 6:57pm

Single Malt- neat vs. splash
Ken, I used to drink my scotch neat but over the last couple of years have come to appreciate how a splash of water improves the "nose" & brings out the complexities of the malt, p...

January 14, 3:52pm

Single Malts
For you single malt guys, consider Glenlivet for the summer (light, refreshing);& for the colder nights, cask strength Laphroiag (peaty, smokey, warming). Cask strength iterations of single ma...

January 13, 6:42pm

Tarptent Sublite Tyvek Water Resistance
I have used my Sublite Tyvek on one 2 day trip thus far and can report its wind worthiness is excellent. Haven't had it in rain yet but it seems to me that due to its horizontal orientation, t...

In Editor's Roundtable » Tarptent Sublite Tent Review
January 07, 7:09pm

2008 Favorites
1) Tarptent Tyvek Sublite 2) Big Agnes Clearview 72" mummy 3) GoLite Ultra 20 quilt 4) AGG Caldera Cone with Snowpeak 600 mug 5) GG Mariposa Plus

In Editor's Roundtable » 2008 Backpacking Light Staff Picks
December 17, 3:31pm

Gear list addition
Chris, Thanks for a great article. I find that an important item that should never be left off a cold & wet gear list is 2 oz of 16 YO Lagavulin in a lightweight Nalgene flask!;) It seems to...

In Editor's Roundtable » Gear Suited for Wet, Cold Weather Hiking
December 11, 7:19pm

All Reader Reviews by James Lantz

Showing 1 - 9 of 9 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear
I experienced corrosion of one of my Lightrek poles' threaded aluminum bolts which holds the rubber expander to lock the 2 halves of the pole together. This made it impossible to use the pole. Af...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
June 17, 4:40pm

Titanuium Goat Ptarmigan Bivy
This is a well made, economical, & versatile bivy. However, when used with a 72" NeoAir pad it is very tight in the foot area to the point of being very uncomfortable. I am 6'1", 2...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
March 28, 6:06pm

Golite Versa Force
Brian, Thanks for your excellent initial impression discussion on the Versa Force. I owned two pair of these, one for the trail & one for my practice hikes around my hilly neighborhood. I found t...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 25, 4:04pm

Osprey Exos 34 Large
I recently received the Exos 34 & had my first opportunity to use it on a day hike, though I had it loaded with the gear I will use on a 4 day hike on the AT around Labor Day, including food &...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 23, 7:08pm

Thermarest Neo-Air
I've spent a total of 5 trail nights on the NeoAir short. It weighs 9 oz on my scales. Very comfortable down into high 40's. Haven't had the opportunity to test lower temps yet. I'...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
May 28, 7:29pm

Gossamer Gear Lightrek 4 Adjustable CF Trekking Poles
Absolutely the best trekking poles I have ever used! I've got over 100 trail miles on them including 60 miles this past weekend on the AT from Standing Indian campground to Fontana Dam N.C. This...

In Trekking Poles
May 28, 7:03pm

Montbell UL Down Inner Jacket
This is one of my most indispensible articles for cold weather backpacking. When coupled with a lightweight baselayer & a lightweight waterproof shell layer like the GoLite Virga, I have been warm...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
February 21, 7:54pm

Montbell U.L. 90 Sleeping Pad U.L. 90
I just received the Montbell UL 90 pad & pillow today. It is about 6" longer than the GG closed cell foam pad I usually use. It fits perfectly, when folded into thirds, into the external sl...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 23, 8:04pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
I agree with the previous posts about the merits of the Caldera Cone. So much lighter than my Primus Technotrail II! I simply roll up the cone & place it in my Snowpeak 600 Ti mug. Then, place t...

In Stoves - Alcohol
March 09, 7:00pm