BPL Community Profile

joe newton (holdfast) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Bergen, Norway
About Me 40 years old and currently living in Bergen, Norway although originally from England.
My Website URLhttp://thunderinthenight.blogspot.com/
My PDF Gear ListDownload my Gear List (PDF)

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by joe newton

Showing 101 - 110 of 199 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Forum » Thread

Re: WTB: BPL ultralight mosquito headnet
...or buy the MLD version. A whopping 0.2oz heavier mind... http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=66

In Gear Swap » WTB: BPL ultralight mosquito headnet
April 22, 1:57am

Re: What rain gear do you use?
If the rain is that infrequent, the humidity that high and you don't use trekking poles then I'd consider a trekking umbrella and windshirt as my 'rain gear'. It doest get much m...

In GEAR » What rain gear do you use?
April 20, 3:44am

Re: jacket
Christoph, I think you've found what you're looking for, the Rab Alpine Pull-on is basically a Vapour-Rise without the liner. It also has a hood. Sounds like it will be perfect.

In GEAR » Powerdry/Powerstretch Pullover/Jacket for summer use
April 18, 12:53pm

Re: shirt
Christoph, I sometimes carry a very simple fleece vest (Haglofs Treble - half micro-fleece, half Powerstretch, one small pocket - 187g/6.5oz in M) to wear under my windshirt if it's a little...

In GEAR » Powerdry/Powerstretch Pullover/Jacket for summer use
April 18, 3:23am

Re: Re: Update - new Rab Gear 2010
Douglas - The Pull-on just looks like the new name for the Smock. They've changed the pocket configuration (the Smock had a 'kangaroo' pocket while the Pull-on has separate A-line pocke...

In GEAR » Rab: Size dilemma - need advice
March 26, 5:52am

Re: Re: Mid-day snacks / on the go lunch
Pretzel Pete's Gourmet Peanut Butter filled nuggets (these bad boys will struggle to make it to the trail once I've opened them! http://www.pretzelpete.com/pretzelpetedifference.cfm Cru...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Mid-day snacks / on the go lunch
March 05, 3:34am

No, no and thrice no
I swapped hiking poles with my Dad on an overnighter a couple of years ago, his poles had shocks in them. I found them noisy, had a 'rattle' feel to them and pretty much pointless. I can...

In GEAR » Trekking Poles - Shock or No?
March 02, 9:55am

Re: Re: Re: Gloves
I agree with Mark and Eugene. Gloves suck and there is no such thing as a 100% waterproof glove. I would certainly steer clear of Sealskinz, they take FOREVER to dry. Mark had it right when he sugg...

In GEAR » Gloves
February 22, 11:58pm

Re: Re: Twin FirstLights
I'm looking at getting a FirstLight for winter next year. I'm glad the new one hasn't changed much but I'd wished they'd change the door and 'hinge' it from the side so ...

In GEAR » New BD Nano Shield FirstLight Tent
February 19, 9:27am

Re: Stix for XC Ski?
If they're the right height for hiking/snow-shoeing then they will be far too short for cross-country skiing in my opinion. Cross-country ski poles should be somewhere near shoulder height to p...

In GEAR » Stix for XC Ski?
February 19, 2:01am

All Reader Reviews by joe newton

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Allen and Mike's Backcountry Ski Book
Pretty much the bible when it comes to winter backcountry travel and camping, and not just on skis. Knowledgeable, interesting, humorous and Mike's illustrations are cute and technically astute. ...

In Books and Media
June 13, 11:31am

Terra Nova Laser Competition
Couldn't agree more with the other reviewer. It's a cinch to set up and while there are a couple of obvious tiny compromises to keep the weight low (single zip on the door, etc) it really is a...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
July 16, 11:03am

Thermarest Neo-Air
I purchased the Short version of this much lauded/derided sleeping mat and have to say it proved to be nothing less than exceptional. I'm a smidge over 6 feet and around 190lbs and once I realised...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 15, 3:10pm

Inov-8 Debrisgaiter
I agree with Sam's review above. The Inov-8 Debris Gaiter is almost perfect. The fit and functionality of the product was just what I was looking for when trail running and backpacking. Stretch...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
May 22, 4:04am

Sea to Summit Alpha Light Spoon
I swapped my previously beloved Primus folding Ti spork for the Alphalight spoon (long version) for a couple of reasons. The Alphalight is longer (no more messy knuckles when eating freeze-dried meals...

In Cookware - Other
May 22, 3:34am

Montane Lite-speed
I've been wearing this jacket for over a year now and it gets used maybe three times a week for hiking, backpacking, road and trail running. It is light, packable and just weather resistant enough...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
May 22, 3:22am

Optimus (Brunton in US) Folding Ti Spork
I already had a Light My Fire plastic spork which worked perfectly well, weighed next to nothing, cost a couple of quid but kept getting lost in my food/cooking bag. When I was looking to 'streaml...

In Cookware - Titanium
July 28, 6:19am