BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 in my early 30's- US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from govt type work, now working 2-3 contracts per yr, trying to keep summer and winter free to backpack, mountain-bike,snowshoe. Here to hike maybe a bit more further, faster while still enjoying scenery, as I still haven't discovered the fountain of youth. Have a 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one, maybe a deeper winter one (all interchangeable) need to update gear list.
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 101 - 110 of 1212 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...122

Forum » Thread

DEET and dyneema
Anyone else have experience with 100% DEET getting on Dyneema (same Dyneema as GG packs btw)? Had the cap work itself lose while in a water bottle pocket of one of my ZB-2's, but noticed it a ...

In GEAR » DEET and dyneema
July 30, 11:08am

Updating my cool to cold and wet gear
Cool to cold and possibly wet -talking central to southern Rockies as the monsoons roll through (or not), central California coast this winter, and perhaps Vermont - or use with present 60L-ish Zi...

In Gear Lists » Updating my cool to cold and wet gear
July 30, 10:43am

Re: Fire in El Portal / Yosemite NPS
Here's an updated article from the LA Times with photos and a unique twist - someone was flying a drone I guess for info purposes but fire officials feel it poses a threat to firefighting aircr...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Fire in El Portal / Yosemite NPS
July 29, 7:19am

Cut the cord
Pros: if connected to a weather app, one could be more prepared and the almost real time blogs of thru- hikers are pretty neat. Cons: peering into a screen or waving the phone in the air while try...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Connected on the trail
July 29, 6:25am

Re: Reasonable vs unreasonable
If an item has provided a reasonable lifespan, I'd be loathe to return it. If it failed almost out of the box or off the showroom floor a return is in order. Complicating this is a lifetime...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » REI return policy
July 29, 6:14am

Bear spray
@Justin - the spray has been tested against bears, some requiring 2 sprays from the canister (iirc - black bear), with anecdotal evidence against charging bison plus other Rockies critters. Howeve...

In On the Web » Glacier NP, Texan, Bear spray and gunshot
July 28, 8:09pm

Re: The trail food you just can't stand.
GORP ... Grew tired of that 10years ago

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » The trail food you just can't stand.
July 28, 5:55pm

Re: Pack size for UL thru-hiking - 40L too small?
Could check out the PCT Blogs see what everyone is carrying (ULA,GG,osprey, ray-way,etc...) and how they handled their food/bear canisters http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/...

In GEAR » Pack size for UL thru-hiking - 40L too small?
July 28, 5:46pm

Re: Re: Re: Glacier NP, Texan, Bear spray and gunshot
Call me a skeptic but something a little fishy about the story. Bear spray has been shown to repel a Grizz off of a food source, so not sure of it "not working". It could be the attemp...

In On the Web » Glacier NP, Texan, Bear spray and gunshot
July 28, 5:21pm

Re: Safety in the backcountry
...In fact, the only times I've ever had problems with people was near a road or in an easily accessible camping area. Problems including inappropriate gun discharge /bullets whizzing over our...

In Philosophy & Technique » Safety in the backcountry
July 27, 6:30am

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.