BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 in my early 30's- US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from govt type work, now working 2-3 contracts per yr, trying to keep summer and winter free to backpack, mountain-bike,snowshoe. Here to hike maybe a bit more further, faster while still enjoying scenery, as I still haven't discovered the fountain of youth. Have a 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one, maybe a deeper winter one (all interchangeable) need to update gear list.
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 101 - 110 of 1193 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...120

Forum » Thread

Re: cheap yet durable poncho/tarp?
Cheaper than $40 yet still good? Have a $70 sea-to-summit "nano-sil" poncho-tarp that makes some compromises. Good luck but sounds like you may want to consider the MYOG route - might ...

In GEAR » cheap yet durable poncho/tarp?
July 24, 8:51am

bivy measurement
Martin, just to compare with Kenda's measurement, the OR helium has about 19 inches of hoop height* with no pad. A pad will shorten that obviously. 26 in side to side ...I fit in it stationa...

In GEAR » bivy questions
July 23, 1:46pm

Winter pack diameters
ed: never mind - answered with Greg's YouTube video above

In GEAR » Winter Pack recomendations
July 23, 1:34pm

2d and 3d helpings of data and gravy ....
The numbers of backpackers are going up but think what Paul is saying is in relation to the growing population of the USA, they still may be going down. From a similar conversation using the 2014...

In On the Web » Death of backpacking?
July 23, 10:10am

Death overrated
Seen plenty of younger backpackers on regular loops (2-4 day itineraries) this year. More of all ages mountain biking for the day on multiple use trails. More road bike pack types too. Ed: wc

July 22, 10:22pm

FS: Enlightened equipment enigma 40F reg/wide
Selling a gently used 2014 Enlightened Equipment quilt rated at 40 (regular/wide) in the regular 750 fill down (see EE website for details) with original straps, storage bag - nothing wrong - just ...

In Gear Swap » FS: Enlightened equipment enigma 40F reg/wide
July 22, 9:51pm

Not really from what I've seen (US)
I seem to see more young people backpacking (mostly in groups and mostly heavier gear - big box = cheaper or hand me down). Mostly on more popular trails, which I've been on since the fire...

July 22, 8:52pm

Re: Custom packs - positive things to say
Once I got my torso length down, been really enjoying my Zimmerbuilt ZB-2's (different sizes -interchangeable frames .... some other differences ... might have gone overboard but only a little)...

In GEAR » Custom packs - positive things to say
July 22, 7:00pm

Pecos update (July 2014)
Went up day-hiking (trying a little trail running) and found the trail crews did an excellent job on the main trails through the burn. A change* is gates are locked from 10 PM to 6 AM at Jacks...

In Post-Trip Reports » Pecos wilderness post burn status 2014
July 22, 6:18pm

Quilts..
I've used EE Enigma (pro and regular) and just went with a long option on one since the difference in weight didn't matter much with the down. More concerned about getting one of their re...

In GEAR » Can we talk down quitls, your help appreciated
July 21, 9:26pm

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.