BPL Community Profile

HK Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Started backpacking in 1998 in my early 30's- US with some global travel (Pacific, Europe, Asia, northern Mexico). Semi-retired from govt type work, now working 2-3 contracts per yr, trying to keep summer and winter free to backpack, mountain-bike,snowshoe. Here to hike maybe a bit more further, faster while still enjoying scenery, as I still haven't discovered the fountain of youth. Have a 20F kit, .. starting on a 45F one, maybe a deeper winter one (all interchangeable) need to update gear list.
CityDuke City
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by HK Newman

Showing 101 - 110 of 1152 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...116

Forum » Thread

Re: JMT Hike: Convertable Pants vs Shorts with built in liner
Recently returned a pair of convertible pants that had a seemingly tough-looking zipper fall apart after only a few zips. Definitely not a fan and going back to shorts or regular pants with approp...

In GEAR » JMT Hike: Convertable Pants vs Shorts with built in liner
May 29, 8:36am

Re: Thoughts on Colin Fletcher
Always have time to crack open my 4th ed of the Complete Walker having read the earlier eds at the library, ... guess it was a different time. There's a passage where he woke up in a farmers f...

In On the Web » Thoughts on Colin Fletcher
May 27, 12:17pm

Re: WTB: Exped Downmat Short or UL Downmat XS (47")
If you cannot find one, I have a small at 47 inches long with the built in handpump. Feel free to PM me.

In Gear Swap » WTB: Exped Downmat or UL Downmat short (46")
May 23, 4:23pm

Re: Suggestions for late June backpacking in CO
Leigh it's dry in the Pecos but not like last May - just returned. Even some postholing Not sure what it will look like late June though unless there's moisture. I was planning the we...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Suggestions for late June backpacking in CO
May 20, 7:50pm

Re: Hikers shot and robbed in California
That's odd for a remote trailhead, and have never had an issue. One of these urban wilderness areas I caught 2 looking to break in when I returned (lucky it was next to a well traveled highway)...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hikers shot and robbed in California
May 20, 7:31pm

Re: Medical establishment appears divided on suction.
Not sure one could do ethical medical research on rattler bites on humans. The best way may be an analysis of snake bite victims who used the Extractor -- plus there's various heads for other ...

In GEAR » Sawyer Extractor Snake Bite Kit - Still Relevant?
May 17, 1:26pm

Rule #1 It's never nice to surprise a rattler...
Sometimes they do not rattle when startled ... here's a recent article from Backpacker about someone being bitten day hiking in Los Angeles : http://www.backpacker.com/out-alive-bitten-by-a...

In GEAR » Sawyer Extractor Snake Bite Kit - Still Relevant?
May 16, 3:49pm

ALS Re: News of Jeff Lowe
Sad to hear, ... remember some news of his climbs way back. The symptoms of uncoordinated hand movement were exhibited by a backpacking acquaintance of mine several years back who more quickly suc...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » News of Jeff Lowe
May 14, 8:14pm

No snow to mo' snow gear
Just a dusting of snow and think that will be "it" this year. Carrying snowshoes sounds like the best option so may get a winter pack with appropriate daisy chains in about a half year i...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » No snow to mo' snow gear
May 14, 8:10pm

Re: Grand Canyon Royal Arch route
Nice but this time of year, got to watch the water especially going uphill.

In Post-Trip Reports » Grand Canyon Royal Arch route
May 14, 9:18am

All Reader Reviews by HK Newman

HK Newman has posted no reviews.