Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Rick Dreher (halfturbo) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northernish California
About Me There once was a hiker from Nantucket....

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rick Dreher

Showing 101 - 110 of 1656 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...166

Forum » Thread

Re: Pick me a camera
At $800, a fixed-lens digital camera is a dicy "investment" compared to an interchangable-lens system camera, which at this point can be had for considerably less. I suspect Canon's f...

In Photography » Pick me a camera
January 06, 11:23am

Re: Pick me a camera
E-PL3 and M Zuiko 9-18 Cheers, Rick

In Photography » Pick me a camera
January 02, 12:47pm

Re: battery life per weight
"What does that mean? There's a big difference between leaving it on the entire time while flipping pages every minute or two or the other 'test' of flipping five pages real quick ...

In GEAR » new nook e-reader 1oz lighter than lightest kindle
November 30, 10:19am

Re: Feathered Friends vs. Western Mountaineering
Owning bags from both, I think I can safely recommend buying based on design, sizing and features because the quality is equivalent. And you can tell your girlfriend she's very lucky :-) Che...

In GEAR » Feathered Friends vs. Western Mountaineering
November 29, 10:40am

Re: recommend a headlamp with red beam
Petzl Tikka XP2 is a good option. It helpfully returns to red mode when switched on, if that's the last mode used. Cheers, Rick

In GEAR » recommend a headlamp with red beam
November 27, 11:55am

Re: What Filter Do You Use?
Hoo-boy Tony, unleash that can 'o worms! :-) Probably 80% of filters are simple "UV" filters folks use primarily as a first line of lens defense to keep debris off the front elemen...

In Photography » Sony NEX Lens Impressions
November 23, 1:38pm

Re: Lumix G3 and lenses
"Call me crazy but would outfitting a G3 with one of the new smaller G X Vario 14-42mm lenses be worthwhile in an effort to make it more compact?" You're crazy! :-) Actually no...

In Photography » Lumix Micro 4/3 thoughts?
November 23, 10:26am

Re: Photos
Hi Jacob, Have fun with your legacy lens experiments. I'll be interested in the Contax G results since I still have my G kit. I've gazed at the adapters available for ยต4/3 and they all ...

In Photography » Sony NEX Lens Impressions
November 22, 11:15am

Re: Lumix Micro 4/3 thoughts?
Alas, the GF2 and G3 are completely different--most importantly the G3 has a higher resolution chip and of course, the high-resolution EFV, and articulating display versus touchscreen. Yes, it'...

In Photography » Lumix Micro 4/3 thoughts?
November 21, 9:41pm

Re: Snowy dayhikes in California?
Good suggestions already. I'm familiar with several, and will add Loon lake off Highway 50 to the list. The road there is plowed and there are established trails as well as plenty of open count...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Snowy dayhikes in California?
November 21, 11:18am

All Reader Reviews by Rick Dreher

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Gear
I've placed a few orders with Mountain Gear, going as far back as when they were based in Idaho, and they've responded flawlessly each time. I admire the breadth and high quality of their sele...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 15, 2:03pm

Backcountrygear.com
I have to put in a plug for these folks, with whom I've shopped on line and over the phone, and who also have a store in soggy Eugene, Oregon. They have a great backpacking and climbing selection f...

November 20, 6:47pm

Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)
As another Seattle kid who loved few things more than pilgrammages to the Capitol Hill store, I still associate the smell of cresote with hiking gear. It's hard to imagine backpacking without REI. ...

November 20, 6:22pm

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
I upgraded to the Micro Puff pullover after several seasons with the old Puffball pullover. Lighter, warmer, stuffs smaller--the Micro Puff is an all-around improvement to what was already a fine garm...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
November 12, 12:53pm

MSR Titan Kettle
Noting the shape isn't the most efficient for squeezing every btu from the stove, the MSR kettle remains a very good single-pot option. It packs nicely, works well with small to medium stoves, pours w...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 15, 12:17pm

MSR SimmerLite
I find the Whisperlite to be MSR's easiest liquid stove to use, and certainly the nicest to lug, bulk and weight-wise. Simmering performance is best with a light touch on the fuel pump--try using l...

In Stoves - White Gas
December 20, 11:46am

Golite Hex 3
I've used a Hex 2, the 3's somewhat smaller brother, with good success for a few seasons. The quarters are a little snug for six-footers, but it's a minor concern. My main complaint is that the ventil...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 28, 8:43pm