BPL Community Profile

Stephen Barber (grampa) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale SoCal
About Me Stephen Barber has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Stephen Barber

Showing 101 - 110 of 1306 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...131

Forum » Thread

re: Girlfriend's pack problem
Jennifer says, "Every single osprey I ever tried hurt my collarbones. And every woman I ever lent my ospreys to thought they hurt her collarbone. So there you go." I'm not a girl, ...

In GEAR » Girlfriend's pack problem
February 20, 10:37pm

Re: Re: Do you carry a backup fire starter?
Two mini Bics in different places, plus a misch metal "flint" and striker, and a couple of vaseline & cotton balls sealed in plastic straw sections. Why? Because even though I now...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » Do you carry a backup fire starter? What and Why or Why Not?
February 20, 10:20pm

re: San Gabriel Range near Los Angeles
Haven't been up there recently, but I sure can't see any snow from down below here. Given the weather this "winter", it's dry as heck and I'd be surprised to see much snow...

In Pre-Trip Planning » San Gabriel Range near Los Angeles
February 20, 1:16pm

re: A Beefy Paring Knife
@ Delmar Have you heard of Bark River Knives? Two of their knives might be close to what you want - the Gunny Hunter and the UL Bushcrafter. I think they meet all your qualifications except f...

In GEAR » Knife features, uses
February 19, 3:47pm

ZPacks 30* bag
FWIW, there's a good review of the ZPacks 20* bag in this month's TrailGroove - link below: http://www.trailgroove.com/issue13.html?autoflip=75

In GEAR » Looking at a ZPacks 30* bag for my wife--summer hiking in the Cascades. Your thoughts?
February 18, 12:02pm

Re: Looking for backpackers in or near Los Angeles county
Okay, if y'all wanting to meet other lightweight hikers in Southern California haven't connected with the SoCal GGG, you should do so now. Here's the link: http://www.backpackinglig...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Looking for backpackers in or near Los Angeles county
February 17, 4:05pm

re: Sourdough on the Trail?
Jon, you're the baking guy who'll be at SoCal GGG! I'm looking forward to meeting you and checking out your Flat Cat gear! I'll try to have some sourdough for you to demo. Bob, s...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Sourdough on the Trail?
February 17, 8:46am

Re: Re: re: Sourdough on the Trail?
Puffer fish bread, I like it!!! Ken, looks like an interesting recipe - I'll have to try a variant. Okay, the reason I'm asking about sourdough is because the doctor has put me on a ...

February 16, 2:42pm

TP or DPW?
" I also do the dirt inoculation and stick stir thing. :-)" Add a bit of water to the mix a la Qi Whiz, and the TP disintegrates completely. Comment on overall topic: Is the issu...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Toilet Paper
February 16, 12:07pm

re: Sourdough on the Trail?
Thanks for all the replies - I should have mentioned that I am aware of the various soda and baking powder methods of making trail breads, but was specifically looking for suggestions on sourdough ...

February 16, 11:43am

All Reader Reviews by Stephen Barber

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

SmarTube Drinking System for Bottles
Since having a hydration bladder spring a leak inside my pack, I have avoided all such bladders. I stuck to simple water bottles until a couple of years ago when I ran across the SmarTube - a drinking...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
May 13, 1:33pm

ZPacks Sleeping Bag 40* and 20*
This is the side sleepers dream bag! The bags are filled with 900 fill power goose down, outer shell is green .95 oz/sq yd Pertex Quantum ripstop nylon, and the liner is black .67 oz/sq yd nylon. ...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
July 25, 9:25pm

Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite Sleeping Pad
Upon receipt of the pad, I inflated it to sleeping firmness, and stood it up against the bookcase. An hour later it looked rather soft; three hours later it was in a pile on the floor. Brand new, and ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
January 24, 11:49pm

Lawson Equipment Customer Service
I've purchased from Lawson on several different occasions. I've always gotten excellent service, fast shipping (especially considering I live clear across the country!), and good interaction v...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
January 20, 11:47am

ULA Catalyst
I've spent the last two years trying to find a pack that is both light and comfortable, ie, transfers weight to the hip bones well. To date, i had found packs that were only one but not the other ...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
June 04, 8:11pm

Bushbuddy "Ultra" (BPL/Ryan Jordan/Arctic 1000 Version) Wood Stove
I was able to pick up a Bushbuddy Ti used, and can't imagine why anyone would want to get rid of one! I used it repeatedly this summer and have been absolutely delighted with it! It is probably...

In Stoves - Other
August 18, 11:59am