BPL Community Profile

Richard Matthews (food) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado Rockies
About Me Orienteering 25+ years.

Xski and done 20+ hut trips

Hiked Colorado Trail and now adopter.

Hiked Wonderland Trail

Summitted 29 14'ers.

40+ nights below the rim in the Grand Canyon. Linked trips to walk from Cameron to Elves Chasm.
CityWheat Ridge
StateColorado

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Matthews

Showing 101 - 110 of 392 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...40

Forum » Thread

Re: No Vestibule - what to do?
How about a tarp that is all vestibule and no tent? Or better yet a hammock. The Hennessy is like a suspended tent with a vestibule below.

In GEAR » No Vestibule - what to do?
May 30, 9:35am

expensive shuttle
Wyndham timeshares runs a shuttle. 970-731-8060 It is about 80 miles from Durango to Wolf Creek. Another alternative would be to get the Alpine Taxi service to drop you at Rabbit Ears Pass a...

In GEAR » SUL hammocks
May 27, 2:05pm

Re: Advice about tarp camping...
Ryan, Before I converted to hammocks I seldom set my tarp the same way twice. My tensioning adjustment was on the tarp end of the guy rather than the anchor end. Natural anchors were gener...

In GEAR » Advice about tarp camping...
May 27, 11:26am

Hammock and Colorado Trail
Rick, Two things. The Colrado Trail and the CDT are the same trail between Georgia Pass and Twin Lakes Creek (96.2 miles)and then again from the head of Fooses Creek to Bear Town (126.1 miles...

In GEAR » SUL hammocks
May 27, 8:07am

Re: Stove Fuel issues
My first preference is HEET in the yellow bottle. The red bottle leaves soot. Second preference is denatured alcohol from the hardware store. Third preference is grain alcohol from the liquo...

In GEAR » Stove Fuel issues
May 22, 1:28pm

Re: Essential knots?
If I were teaching a one hour knot tying class this is the order I would teach them: Clove hitch: around stakes when stake placement is used for tension, around trekking poles or other ...

In GEAR » Essential knots?
May 15, 7:41am

Ben is right - forums need to be interesting.
Sometimes the topic drift that happens after someone asks the classic "what is the best ******" will bring out creative technique and gear design. A little latitude is needed to allow th...

In Chaff » >: ( Respecting the G Spot thread
May 13, 1:51pm

Re: Internal frame - using tent poles? - it depends
Using tent poles or even the rolled pad tube works when I keep my pack weight below 20 pounds. Over 20 pounds I need curved pack stays. Because my back is very curved the poles or pad tube pu...

In Make Your Own Gear » Internal frame - using tent poles?
April 25, 9:05am

starter kit
I think the best starter kit is a Claytor No Net ($45) with ccf pads between the layers. Use a painters drop cloth for a tarp and sleep in your back yard. It took me three nights in the hammock b...

In GEAR » how to hammock camp?
April 24, 3:55pm

Re: Re: Clothing and Hygiene for Feet
Steve, I use your exact system. I also use that sytem for gloves in the winter. I rotate the use of two pair of fleece gloves, but have shell gloves and heavier gloves in a waterproof stuff sa...

In Philosophy & Technique » Clothing and Hygiene for Feet
April 24, 8:17am

All Reader Reviews by Richard Matthews

Showing 1 - 10 of 11 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Trail Designs Customer Service
Rand provides better customer service that we have a right to expect. The Caldera Cones are the most fuel efficient that I have used.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
November 26, 3:48pm

zpacks Company
I have purchased packs and pouches and had Joe do some custom sewing. The quality is excellent and the delivery time is great. I mailed him a G4 for some modifications and received it back in 8 da...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 04, 8:23am

Zpacks Blast 32
Blast 32 by Zpack Options and additions: Webbing belt, Sternum strap, Daisy chain on shoulder straps, Base shock cord loops, One shoulder pouch, Shockcord and cordlock water bottle holder on ...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 26, 9:08am

Equinox Silnylon Poncho
I use the extended version sold through Campmor. Recently I did a rainy week long hike with my 74 year old friend. We wore our ponchos at some time every day for a week. When we were coming out we ...

In Clothing - Raingear
January 04, 9:54am

Jacks R Better No Sniveller quilt
I got the No Sniveller and Nest together to use with my hammock. When wearing expedition weight long underwear the quilts will keep me warm to 30 degrees in the hammock. I also use the NS on the g...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
January 03, 3:23pm

Hennessy Hammock Asym
I have used the Hennessy as my primary shelter for 4 years now. The A-Sym design allows a poncho to be used as the fly. The bottom entry allows the fly to be set very close to the hammock. This...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
January 03, 3:09pm

Gatorade Bottle
I use a cozy made out of CCF pad so that I can shake my hot beverages. The mouth is just wide enough to allow drink mixes to be added without spilling. They fit in a normal bike bottle holster. ...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
January 03, 2:37pm

Trangia 28-5 Mini Aluminum Cook Pot
The lid from the AntiGravityGear 3 cup pot fits pretty well on the pot. Pour in a bag meals become monotonous quickly. This set gives me the ability to fry. The skillet works well with the alco...

In Cookware - Other
January 03, 2:27pm

Mary Jane's Farm Sante Fe Pasta
Don't forget Nick's Couch Potatoes, Red Pesto Pasta and Mac & Cheese. Lots of olive oil with all of them. I generally add chopped turkey pepperoni or bacon crumbles.

In Foods - Prepackaged Meals & Side Dishes
August 04, 7:18am

Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo
This tent brings together many of the superior design features from other light weight tents. The basic design is similar to the Dancing Light Gear Tacoma Solo Shelter. The Lunar solo has a very g...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
August 04, 7:08am