BPL Community Profile

Hoot Filsinger (filsinger) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest
About Me Started backpacking in 1968 with my first and only Kelty Pack. Have enjoyed many adventures in Los Padres, Sierra Nevada, Cascades, and coastal hiking in the Pacific Northwest.Colin Fletcher was my mentor in my youth and I now enjoy the kind and knowledgeable folks at BPL.
CityCrescent City
StateCA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Hoot Filsinger

Showing 101 - 110 of 285 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...29

Forum » Thread

Re: Case for a Panasonic Lumix GX1?
Hello Rick, You could make your own from reflectix bubble wrap and duct tape. If you are not handy I will make you one for a few bucks. They are very protective for there weight and I add Velcro...

In GEAR » Case for a Panasonic Lumix GX1?
December 27, 5:03pm

Re: New 2.8 liter water bags at Goodwill $1.79
Found on eBay for $3.35 each. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Collapsible-Water-Bag-Camping-or-Survival-Gear-2-8-Liters-Clear-Container-/230899085331?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c2a87013

In Gear Deals » New 2.8 liter water bags at Goodwill $1.79
December 27, 2:30pm

Re: Sporks SUCK!!!
Only a spoon can be found in my pack. I do keep spaghetti and steak off my menu list.

In GEAR » Sporks SUCK!!!
December 26, 7:25pm

Re: Montbell VS FirstAscent Jackets?
Greeting Mark, I own both the FA EB and UL Montbell down jackets. The EB is a better fit for me with their tall sizes and although the montbell may have a slightly better weight/warmth advantag...

In GEAR » Montbell VS FirstAscent Jackets?
December 23, 10:28am

Platys work with Sawyer Squeeze
Michael, Platys and many other water bottle threads work fine with the Sawyer Squeeze if you replace the 1/8 washer with a 1/16 neoprene washer which allows the platypus threads to set deeper. C...

In GEAR » Can anyone find the Evernew 2L bottle?
December 22, 11:22pm

Re: Desert Trail: Mexico to Canada, Highlight Video
Buck, Your trip video left a poignant mark on me. Very well edited to tell the story of your trip. Just enough text about your photos and like your photo choices. Especially like the photo of you...

In Post-Trip Reports » Desert Trail: Mexico to Canada, Highlight Video
December 22, 1:01pm

Re: Having food stolen
Have never lost food to bears but have had occasional rodent, squirrel , and crow issues. In the 60's and 70's I was careless with my food storage and would carry salami, cheese, and cornut...

In Philosophy & Technique » Having food stolen
December 22, 11:45am

Re: Backpacking the CT - In December
Randy, Thank you for your trip report. Scenery, solitude, great grub, and a shagrai-la 3 with built in doggy heaters. This is the recipe for joy to the world and peace and inner happiness. You rem...

In Post-Trip Reports » Backpacking the CT - In December
December 19, 8:00pm

Re: Houdini's $37.83 on sale at REI-Outlet
Thanks Tad! $37.83 plus free 2 day shipping. Mens sizes in L, XL, XXL only in red womens in M, L, XL in Hydrangea and redish pink http://www.rei.com/outlet/search?query=houdini

In Gear Deals » Houdini's 37.83on sale at REI-Outlet
December 17, 8:45pm

Re: Re: 1%ers
Sun Conure (Aratinga solstitialis)

In Chaff » 1%ers
December 01, 1:15am

All Reader Reviews by Hoot Filsinger

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Bearpaw Wilderness Designs company
John at Bearpaw was terrific to work with. He listened to my needs and designed a cuben fiber structure similar to the cub den but with slight mods to fit my big boy size. He backs his warranty, send...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
March 27, 12:23am

Saywer Squeeze Filtration System
SP131- Sawyer Squeeze Filter – multiple capacity The NEW Sawyer Squeeze Filter is the lightest and most versatile filtration system on the market. With a total field weight of 3 ounces, it is extr...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 7:58pm

Tarptent Contrail
I used the Contrail in the Cascades and was impressed with the design and weight. The bug net paid for itself the first two nights. I stayed dry in light rain and moderate wind and had very little con...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
March 11, 11:48pm