Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Evan McCarthy (evanrussia) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Mid-Atlantic
About Me UL Backpacker
My Website URL
My PDF Gear ListGear List for June-July Kungsleden

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Evan McCarthy

Showing 101 - 110 of 395 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...40

Forum » Thread

Re: Hiking through Germany
Great idea to post this. Are there other similar forums in Northern Europe for long-trails and backpacking? I'm about to move to Latvia and I'm trying to figure out where my likely areas ...

In Post-Trip Reports » Hiking through Germany
February 17, 3:38pm

Drat! Grand Jury!
I need to vent to somebody who cares. After planning a week long trip in May and getting excited to officially get the time off (a rarity for me), I received a grand jury summons for the entire...

In Chaff » Drat! Grand Jury!
February 16, 1:56pm

SynMat UL 7 Limbo: How Low Can You Go?
Yo! I am a bit of a cold sleeper - FYI. How low have others taken their SynMat UL 7 down? I know the technical R rating is 3.1 (per Exped's website) but I've seen several of you post...

In GEAR » SynMat UL 7 Limbo: How Low Can You Go?
February 06, 5:40pm

New Balance Men's MO1000 Multi-Sport Boot
Cheap, sturdy, and well-recommended on BPL. I don't often wear boots, but these are light and warm.

In GEAR » Need recommendations for winter boots
February 04, 11:35am

Re: Re: Obsessive?
My guess is that we'll see a different period in Skurka's life later in which he becomes more John Muir-like and adopts a cause or two linked to his outdoor activity (something he has said ...

In Philosophy & Technique » How I Make a Living as an Adventurer
January 23, 6:25am

Re: Evan
Thanks, Ike! Since the dog needs to sleep against me in any context, I think I'll just have to keep sharing the quilt with him on the trail.

In Winter Hiking » Winter Hiking With Your Dog
January 21, 6:35pm

Re: Winter Hiking with the Dog
"A wet cold pitbull is an unhappy pitbull." So true! Ike, where can I get my pit bull hiking companion thermals like yours? When my pooch comes out with me in the winter, he insists ...

In Winter Hiking » Winter Hiking With Your Dog
January 20, 6:38pm

Re: Forecast your sex life for the year ahead.
"She was a sous chef at Belini's, making beef Wellington, lobster Newburg, and jambalaya to die for." Not sure what to make of this.

In Chaff » Forecast your sex life for the year ahead.
January 13, 3:39pm

Another vote for the Houdini
The Houdini is incredible. Apart from the other benefits described above, it can form the perfect high-breathability shell for on-the-go colder weather. A perfect piece to add to the clothing lin...

In GEAR » lightest windshirt that can withstand backpack abrasion
January 12, 7:31pm

Hi Andrew! Thanks for your great work! I purchased an earlier draft edition of your gear guide. Can you briefly summarize what has changed between earlier drafts and the final edition? I&#...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » The Ultimate Hiker's Gear Guide -- Now available!
January 12, 4:18pm

All Reader Reviews by Evan McCarthy

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Nunatak Arc Edge
I was dubious about an 11 oz. quilt that keeps you warm when pushing it -- but I just go back from an outing with the Arc Edge down to high 30s even (not quite expected) and found the quilt and Nunata...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
April 17, 6:48pm