BPL Community Profile

Evan McCarthy (evanrussia) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Northern Europe
About Me Expat UL backpacker living in Riga and exploring Northern Europe's trail and forests.
CityRiga
StateRiga
CountryLatvia
My Website URLhttps://www.facebook.com/evankylemccarthy
My PDF Gear ListGear List for June-July Kungsleden

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Evan McCarthy

Showing 101 - 110 of 392 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...40

Forum » Thread

New Balance Men's MO1000 Multi-Sport Boot
Cheap, sturdy, and well-recommended on BPL. I don't often wear boots, but these are light and warm. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003GXEN5G/ref=asc_df_B003GXEN5G1886298/?tag=hyprod-20&c...

In GEAR » Need recommendations for winter boots
February 04, 11:35am

Re: Re: Obsessive?
My guess is that we'll see a different period in Skurka's life later in which he becomes more John Muir-like and adopts a cause or two linked to his outdoor activity (something he has said ...

In Philosophy & Technique » How I Make a Living as an Adventurer
January 23, 6:25am

Re: Evan
Thanks, Ike! Since the dog needs to sleep against me in any context, I think I'll just have to keep sharing the quilt with him on the trail.

In Winter Hiking » Winter Hiking With Your Dog
January 21, 6:35pm

Re: Winter Hiking with the Dog
"A wet cold pitbull is an unhappy pitbull." So true! Ike, where can I get my pit bull hiking companion thermals like yours? When my pooch comes out with me in the winter, he insists ...

In Winter Hiking » Winter Hiking With Your Dog
January 20, 6:38pm

Re: Forecast your sex life for the year ahead.
"She was a sous chef at Belini's, making beef Wellington, lobster Newburg, and jambalaya to die for." Not sure what to make of this.

In Chaff » Forecast your sex life for the year ahead.
January 13, 3:39pm

Another vote for the Houdini
The Houdini is incredible. Apart from the other benefits described above, it can form the perfect high-breathability shell for on-the-go colder weather. A perfect piece to add to the clothing lin...

In GEAR » lightest windshirt that can withstand backpack abrasion
January 12, 7:31pm

Comparison
Hi Andrew! Thanks for your great work! I purchased an earlier draft edition of your gear guide. Can you briefly summarize what has changed between earlier drafts and the final edition? I&#...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » The Ultimate Hiker's Gear Guide -- Now available!
January 12, 4:18pm

Vest Success
Thanks for the vest advice! It was a great piece of clothing for on the move in 30-35 degree weather (combined with just a merino baselayer and fleece gloves).

In GEAR » Wearing a fleece vest?
January 08, 5:08pm

thanks!
Just in time. I don't leave until this afternoon. The other thread helped. I'll try the vest.

January 06, 8:01am

Wearing a fleece vest?
So I'm heading out tomorrow and the temperature for the hiking part of Saturday and Sunday could be in the 40s, but with the potential to drop into the 30s, or even up to the low 50s at low ele...

January 05, 8:58pm

All Reader Reviews by Evan McCarthy

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Nunatak Arc Edge
I was dubious about an 11 oz. quilt that keeps you warm when pushing it -- but I just go back from an outing with the Arc Edge down to high 30s even (not quite expected) and found the quilt and Nunata...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
April 17, 6:48pm