Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Mina Loomis (elmvine) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Central Texas
About Me I have been backpacking on and off in the western US since college in the early 1970's. Summer 1970 a bunch of us spent a week in the Three Sisters Wilderness in Oregon barefoot with blankets, book bags, and no proper gear at all. Now I coordinate youth backpacking for our Camp Fire council, and enjoy taking the kids to the mountains. I hope to take up more long distance walking after retirement.
CityAustin
StateTexas
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.camp-fire.org
My PDF Gear ListJMT 2011 Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mina Loomis

Showing 101 - 110 of 202 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Forum » Thread

Dragonfly
For big groups we ended up buying a MSR Dragonfly. Bulkier than the Simmerlite but *very* stable, I've used really big pots on it, like an Open Country aluminum 8-quart. Noisy when running. ...

In GEAR » Looking for suggestions - stoves for one pot 6 people
January 19, 7:00pm

Big Bend Ranch State Park, December 2010
Big Bend Ranch State Park December 2010 A Route through Ancient Volcanoes and Modern Desert Big Bend Ranch State Park is just west of Big Bend National Park, in far west Texas along the Rio Gr...

In Post-Trip Reports » Big Bend Ranch State Park, December 2010
January 19, 3:22pm

test

In User Test Forum » test
January 19, 11:56am

JMT days for 17 year old
My older son (now nearly 30) solo hiked the JMT at age 17. He planned on 14 days but finished in 12 days. He said it was beautiful but he got very lonely. Now he still loves hiking but he do...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » JMT Dates?
January 09, 11:39pm

head downhill
I am not a medical person, but way back decades ago in college I worked part time in the college infirmary. The nurses there used to say that when they worked long shifts on their feet in nursing ...

In Philosophy & Technique » How to tell which way the tent floor is sloped on a level site?
December 15, 8:55pm

tent
"I didn't see any rain on my trip; you will have to rig your own rain protection over the Wenzel as the seams and walls seem pretty thin." So that's what my customers at REI ar...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Backpacking, Wal-Mart Style
December 07, 5:51pm

Thanks!
John, Thanks for your additional information. I am glad to hear the route is well-marked. Sometimes it's hard to interpret generic published warnings. And the bigbendchat looks like a...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Big Bend Ranch State Park
December 06, 10:29am

Big Bend Ranch State Park
Calling on anyone familiar with Big Bend Ranch State Park. We (my husband and I) are thinking of going over there for the first time at the end of December or in early January. Thinking of hiking...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Big Bend Ranch State Park
December 05, 10:38am

Mid in wind
I had something like that happen last summer in west Texas. Gatewood Cape--sort of a modified pyramid. Monahans Sandhills. Not raining, although it had rained earlier. But steady strong wind all...

In GEAR » 'Mid vs TT Moment in psycho winds
November 15, 9:07pm

Pecos Baldy
Lucas, I haven't been up Trailriders Wall, although I mean to go that way sometime. Have only been to the top of the saddle in that direction, where there's a rocky outcrop in the middle, ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Fear and Loneliness on the Ozark Highlands Trail
October 23, 9:56am

All Reader Reviews by Mina Loomis

Mina Loomis has posted no reviews.