BPL Community Profile

Dale Wambaugh (dwambaugh) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest
About Me Native Seattlite, hiking and biking in the woods since I was a kid. Returned to backpacking a couple years ago and discovered the pleasures ultralight hiking-- it appeals to my gadgeteering nature and my aging body parts :)
CitySeattle
StateWashington
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListGeneric Ultralight Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Dale Wambaugh

Showing 101 - 110 of 7173 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...718

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: rain or wind
I would take an umbrella to Hawaii and get the sun shade advantage. A poncho would be good too. I've been through some Maui drenchers: warm, short-lived, at least on the dry side and switch...

In GEAR » 2013 Spring Patagonia Houdini Pants / Jacket
March 24, 2:27pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: so can Houdini sub for a rain jacket?
So all your travel and layering plans ( read personal safety ) are based on avoiding packing 7 ounces of rain gear? That doesn't make sense to me.

March 24, 1:39pm

Re: Re: so can Houdini sub for a rain jacket?
How and when will you dry those wet layers? The ones that are now cold and wet once you stopped moving? Have you ever been hiking in 40f wet weather for several days? Your layering scheme is a clas...

March 24, 1:19pm

Re: Re: Re: so can Houdini sub for a rain jacket?
You're going to wait out three weeks of constant drizzle, wet brush and overcast skies? I don't think so. I'll give you 8 hours of precip and switchbacks in the Cascades or Olympics...

March 24, 12:49pm

Re: What jacket to buy?
A rain shell or windshirt will block wind and hep retain heat in the layers you have below, but won't have any insulation value past the wind blocking. There isn't going to be much differen...

In GEAR » What jacket to buy?
March 24, 12:43pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: condensation temp v.s. freezing temp
If you are in cool/high humidity conditions, I would expect to have more issues with moisture condensing on the cold fabric on the outside of the bag and would consider a light breathable bivy/cove...

In GEAR » Pushing the Dew point out of a down bag using a synthetic overquilt.
March 24, 11:24am

Re: so can Houdini sub for a rain jacket?
The new Houdini is less breathable, but as good or a bit better than mostvofcthe other current offerings. It is not a rain jacket, with unsealed seams and will wet thorough. DWR treated windshi...

March 24, 11:14am

Re: Stairways Seattle
That's the book. I've been waiting to spot a used one :) I could see a PBS travel show on this travel niche In San Francisco we walked from Union Square to Chinatown, up to Grace Cath...

In Post-Trip Reports » Stairways of San Francisco - 568 Stairways in 4 Days
March 23, 9:25pm

Re: Whut Dale sed
Actually, I use a Sawyer Mini with Micropur tablets for backup.

In GEAR » Water purification alternatives?
March 23, 8:40pm

Re: Wetting Out?
Not breathable. Wetting out kills breathability, but *shouldn't* cause leaks. The water will roll off this stuff

In Gear Deals » Red Ledge Backpacker Poncho at REI $17
March 23, 6:02pm

All Reader Reviews by Dale Wambaugh

Dale Wambaugh has posted no reviews.