BPL Community Profile

Dirk Rabdau (dirk9827) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest
About Me Dirk Rabdau has not added a biography yet.
StateWashington

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Dirk Rabdau

Showing 101 - 110 of 657 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...66

Forum » Thread

Re: PCT in Oregon 2012
Bob - Glad to hear we are very similar in our outlooks! I agree with you - I never have been one to cook early and keep going into the night. I could see the benefit in bear territory - if I ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » PCT in Oregon 2012
December 31, 6:13pm

Bob - First off, let me state that you have forgotten more about backpacking than I will ever know. I really enjoy your frequent posts here and your willingness to share your knowledge. Thank yo...

December 31, 5:42pm

I used Heet or denatured alcohol
Ian - For what it's worth, Heet (the Yellow bottle) was available at quite a number of places along the PCT. As you moved north, this got fairly tricky, just because there were less "st...

December 31, 1:18am

Ian - Mighty kind of you to provide a little trail magic for northbounders. I'd say that pack get to Oregon typically during August, but it really depends upon the snow pack, fires, etc. ...

December 28, 9:43pm

Re: 2011 Backpacking Light Staff Picks
Loved the picks this year, because the reasons for the choices were not merely an exercise in tech specs and gram counting. Instead, it reflected a greater appreciation of simplicity and making use...

In Editor's Roundtable » 2011 Backpacking Light Staff Picks
December 27, 5:51pm

Re: Sony NEX Lens Impressions
Ryan, thanks for adding your experience to the mix of opinions here. I think hit the nail on the head when you talk about investing in a system, since the cost of quality glass far outweighs the co...

In Photography » Sony NEX Lens Impressions
December 27, 4:28am

Cesar +1
I think the same could be said for UL, to be honest. Summertime backpacking through the mountains of California was an epiphany in this regard after many seasons in the Cascades and Olympic ranges ...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » The best SUL solution = geography?
December 25, 11:41pm

Re: EN13537 vs US based Temp ratings
Michael - I was merely asking what would the advantage for a cottage manufacturer to invest in the test? I agree with Richard, the decision to buy a bag isn't made solely upon specs. There a...

In GEAR » EN13537 vs US based Temp ratings
December 25, 1:59pm

Re: 5000USD is nothing
I fail to see the upside of certified testing for any of the small cottage producers. Unless sales are negatively affected by the lack of a certification, I can't see anyone spending the money ...

In GEAR » EN13537 vs US based Temp ratings
December 25, 4:04am

Piper and Greg +2
I concur with the sentiments expressed by these PCT veterans. Experience a long backpacking trip, one that spans weeks and months,and gear becomes, well, just a means to an end. Many people init...

In Philosophy & Technique » The Lean Approach to Wilderness Travel
December 23, 2:18am

All Reader Reviews by Dirk Rabdau

Dirk Rabdau has posted no reviews.