BPL Community Profile

David Bonn (david_bonn) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale North Cascades
About Me Semi-retired computer geek, sometime employee of the National Parking Lot Service, fluent skier and hiker.
CityWinthrop
StateWashington
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Bonn

Showing 101 - 110 of 202 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Forum » Thread

Goats!
Well, not actual goats. North American mountain goats are more closely related to Chamois and Ibex.

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » Goats!
May 09, 7:31pm

Re: Tents not Tarps and Other Concerns
Can any tent survive a real flash flood situation? When I was young and impecunious (back in the late Carter and early Reagan years) I depended on tarps for outdoor adventures. I would borrow a...

In Gear Lists » Philmont gear selection..
April 24, 4:25pm

Re: Wrist Thermometers
I usually ""wear" my Suunto instrument on a loop through the shoulder strap of my pack. That makes the thermometer a little more accurate. There are also two other benefits: the gadget is less l...

In GEAR » Thermometer
April 21, 8:27pm

Re: Re: Clothing for Desert Hiking
> I have tended toward darker colors, despite the theoretical reflective action of light colors. Native desert dwellers seem to agree. ... except for Bedouins and Berbers in the Sahara Desert wh...

In Philosophy & Technique » Clothing for Dessert Hiking
April 19, 3:46pm

Re: Best June/July Backpacking
For early season hikes in Washington, there are really two strategies: go low or go east. The eastern slopes of the cascades typically melt out a couple of weeks earlier than the western slopes. ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Best June/ July Backpacking?
April 18, 6:20pm

Re: What is winehiking?
This takes me back to a trip in the early 90's. Sitting around camp as the stars came out, up on a huge flat boulder with two large boxes of two-buck chuck. We were having a long and sometimes ...

In On the Web » What is winehiking?
April 18, 10:45am

Re: Convertible pants
I can think of two that you can buy offhand... Either the Integral Designs Pertex Pants (representative link): http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/appareldetail.cfm/ID5110 Or the Montan...

In GEAR » Convertible pants
March 19, 10:10pm

Re: Re: Re: Miguel's Towel
Of course this is about entertainment. Almost everyone here is talking about playing outside. This is about toys for grownups, but not in the usual `adult toys' sense. I'll throw in my own two...

In Chaff » Throwing In The Towel
March 16, 9:05pm

Re: Solar Power is Great
There are a lot of perverse incentives in utilities. Where I live, part-time (e.g. vacation) homes outnumber full-time homes by almost three to one. One of the interesting problems that this ha...

In Chaff » Solar power...
March 06, 9:49am

Re: Solar Power Is Great!
I live on the other side of the Okanogan River from Curlew. That is real deliverance country over there. Right now it is snowing lightly here and -1C. Probably warmer and drier there.

In Chaff » Solar power...
March 05, 8:55pm

All Reader Reviews by David Bonn

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Western Mountaineering Summer Coupler
I think the big killer for me and my so was that it was made of cotton. It needs to be made of some very light synthetic instead. Once again, a great idea with poor execution.

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
August 26, 9:09am

Patagonia R1 Balaclava
One other thing that I think is good is that the stretchy fabric is relatively thin -- this means that if you are exercising you can still wear the hat in quite cold weather, and if it is wicked cold ...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
August 25, 1:56pm

Superfeet Performance Green
Thirty bucks is a lot of money for an insole. But it is way cheaper than knee surgery. I've been using them religiously for four years in everything but rock climbing shoes and backcountry ski boots...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 09, 11:02am

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
Lightweight, simple, doubles as a pillow. This pullover is a wonderful evolution of the original puffball pullover.

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
August 09, 10:55am

GoLite Phantom Jacket
Awesome light jacket. Enormous pit zips help ventilation a lot. High pockets let you stash gloves and trail mix where you can get them without taking your pack off. A little heavier than some more ...

In Clothing - Raingear
August 09, 10:53am

Patagonia Dragonfly pullover
I don't go anywhere without this pullover. For everything from groomed cross-country ski tours to weeklong climbing trips to long-distance backpacks. This is probably the most useful item of clothin...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
August 09, 10:51am

Patagonia Specter Jacket
Wonderfully light. Waterproof. Reasonably breathable. More expensive than my first car (and more waterproof too). The big pockets help venting a bit, but it doesn't (in my opinion) vent particul...

In Clothing - Raingear
August 09, 10:49am

ULA Equipment P-1
I've used my P-1 since March, with several trips up to two weeks (with resupply) and trips as long as seven days without a resupply. I like the side pockets a lot. I'd like them better (and give t...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 09, 10:43am