BPL Community Profile

Carol Crooker (cmcrooker) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Desert Southwest, USA
About Me I live and do a lot of my backpacking in the desert, but I LOVE the mountains of the west! I also get out to the east coast occasionally to backpack.
CityPhoenix
StateArizona
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListHammock, Lows to 40

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Carol Crooker

Showing 101 - 110 of 305 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...31

Forum » Thread

Great article!
Will, I enjoyed reading about your custom pack design process. Too bad my torso length isn't a bit shorter or I'd ask what happened to the first pack :)

In Editor's Roundtable » A Custom Backpack – Designed by You
December 19, 10:25am

Video
Thanks Mark, Interesting to know you could survive an hour in ice water!

In Philosophy & Technique » Swim Crossing techniques/clothing
December 17, 10:00pm

Dress on the move @ Arctic guys
Hey Jason, Interesting. I wouldn't have thought to only partially dress, but it makes sense to keep moving. The cover of BPL magazine issue 7 has Jason Geck swimming across a river in the A...

December 14, 11:18am

Snow melt
I've been immersed in snow melt. But just to dunk in. Never had to stay in long enough to swim - and wouldn't look forward to having to do that! One thing I hadn't considered before thi...

December 13, 3:32pm

Swim Crossing techniques/clothing
After talking with Justin Lichter, Kevin Sawchuk and Ryan Jordan about the joys of cold water swimming, I gave it a try a few weeks ago. I hiked half a mile to a narrow reservoir, swam about 50 yds...

December 13, 11:03am

Target
I went to Target yesterday - they have a nice selection of silicone stuff. Including individual muffin cups, muffin pans like in the photo above, and a 1 cup measuring cup that collapses that proba...

In Editor's Roundtable » Groovy-Biotic Cooking: Quick, Healthy Meals with an Ultralight Cook Kit
December 09, 2:07pm

Columbia zip offs
I've beat a pair of Columbia zip offs to death - and I still haven't found anything I like better. The fabric on mine is quite light - like the REI pants - but is holding up to lots of thor...

In GEAR » Convertible / Zip-Off Pants ?
December 08, 7:06am

Nice!
Excellent! Thanks Nia.

In Editor's Roundtable » Groovy-Biotic Cooking: Quick, Healthy Meals with an Ultralight Cook Kit
December 07, 11:52am

RE: Weight muffin cup
Darn! 5" diameter won't fit inside my SnowPeak 600 (about 3.5" diameter) or even my FireLite 1100 (about 4.5" D). I really need a muffin baking cup with no ridges. Are they out ...

December 07, 11:00am

Etan question #1
Etan, Look at the third picture below the one you refer to in question 1. It's the Forty Below Light Energy TR Overboot in the photo.

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Footwear Systems for Snow Travel Part 3: Model Lightweight Footwear Systems for Snow Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Snow Camping
December 07, 10:10am

All Reader Reviews by Carol Crooker

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Coughlan's LED Clip-on Headlight
The Coughlan’s LED Clip-on Headlight is light weight, inexpensive and bright enough for around camp chores. The red filter is a nice feature to save night vision. I gave it a 3 of 5 because it was fru...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
August 07, 4:22pm

Coughlan's Micro Lantern
The Coughlan Micro Lantern is a tiny LED light shaped like a lantern. It has a clip ring on top so it can be hung from your tent zipper pull or the like. The light shines out in a 360 degree circle an...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
June 03, 5:16pm

Inov8 Terroc 330 - Men's
I love the way the Terrocs conform to my feet without needing to be tied too tightly. So - our feet are different or your Terrocs came laced differently than mine. Mine came with a heel locking lacing...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
June 27, 10:21pm

Wilderness First Aid Classes by WMI/NOLS
16 hour course on first aid in the backcountry. Lots of hands on scenarios for practice. The course I attended in AZ in May 2006 was taught by an EMT from Pennsylvania and an EMT/ski patroller from Co...

In First Aid and Survival Gear & Accessories
May 09, 1:06pm

Tilley LT5
Well I thought the LT5 was perfect until Ryan suggested it would be even better if it was lighter. But of course! And it's stylish too - at least we Tilley wearers think so. And Ryan, just slip on yo...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
August 02, 6:30am