BPL Community Profile

carl becker (carlbecker) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Northern Virginia
About Me 54 years old 6' at 200lbs and getting back to doing some overnight hiking.
CityFairfax
StateVirginia
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear List3 season

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by carl becker

Showing 101 - 110 of 319 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...32

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Should I upgrade?
Bob, Ric and Micheal have given you good recommendations. I would add that it is a mistake to take a new camera on a trip. Learn a new camera at home. VR helps control your handshake it will not...

In Photography » Should I upgrade?
June 06, 10:52am

Re: Is the Montbell inner parka much warmer than the inner jacket?
I chose the inner parka as warmth to weight is what I was after and believe the hood covering the neck and head adds very high value to overall warmth.

In GEAR » Is the Montbell inner parka much warmer than the inner jacket?
June 03, 12:11pm

Re: Question for cold sleepers who use Montbell UL super spiral down hugger #3
Since you sleep cold I suggest you upgrade you pad and bag. I read the katabatic quilts are warm and light.

In GEAR » Question for cold sleepers who use Montbell UL super spiral down hugger #3
June 03, 7:07am

Re: ul camera
I have been using a Nikon D700 for a few years. I have tried a few smaller camera's and even MF film but have not been happy with the results and or use of the camera. I much prefer using a g...

In GEAR » ul camera
June 03, 6:57am

Re: Depends on weight
I replaced my old REI poles with LT4 and straps. A screw on top holds the strap on. My straps stay put adjustment wise and are comfortable, for me they work very well. I also use them for my Tar...

In Philosophy & Technique » Gossamer Gear LT4's ... Strap or no strap? that is the question
June 02, 8:02am

Re: But I'm SAVING money! Need gear suggestions from Amazon.
aqua mira, leukotape, platy's, Minus 33 wool, smartwool socks

In GEAR » But I'm SAVING money! Need gear suggestions from Amazon.
May 27, 4:59am

Re: A little help please
I just checked the listed weight of the Helium and it was 41 ounces. I all ready had a scale for another activity and have gone a bit nuts with it but still find it a useful tool to get my weight ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » A little help please
May 26, 8:17am

Re: A little help please
Purchase a scale. Weigh everything and list it. Decide what you don't need and delete it from the list. Look at your heavy items and decide your best dollar per ounce to get lighter. For re...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » A little help please
May 26, 6:15am

Re: bugs/tent
I have thought about this myself. I have a couple of Tarptents - the Rainshadow2 is pretty large but I don't know if our 80 long legged lab mix would fit. Other options might be Oware or MDL ...

In GEAR » Your ideas for a 3 person plus 1 dog shelter
May 26, 6:03am

Re: Backpacking W. Virginia this weekend, what to bring
Check the weather report for your intended area. 50 degrees may be your low depending. Probably a good chance for some rain, has been lots this month. Bugs are starting to come out but not bad y...

In GEAR » Backpacking W. Virginia this weekend, what to bring
May 25, 6:11am

All Reader Reviews by carl becker

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Inov8 RocLite 315
I did lots of research to replace my 30 year old heavy leather boots. I tried many different boots at REI before I ordered these and have found my hiking shoe. I went one size up from my street shoes...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
January 16, 8:14pm

Osprey Exos 34 Exos 34
I recently looked at packs for some over night hiking. I tried the REI Flash 30, Montbell versalite 50, SMD Swift, GG Miniposa and Osprey exos 34. At 23 pounds the Osprey is by far the most comforta...

In Backpacks - External Frame
January 16, 8:03pm