BPL Community Profile

Benjamin Smith (bugbomb) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale South Texas
About Me My first "lightweight" trip involved me tossing gear and spare clothes out of my external framed pack the night before a trek in southern Colorado. Now, I experiment with and design (my wife calls it "twiddling") some simple, lightweight gear and carry loads that have become dangerously flirtatious with the SUL barrier.

In south Texas, if you're a hiker, biker, or runner, you don't have to deal with elevation or cold temps. However, you do have to like the feeling of sweaty silnylon next to your skin on a 100 degree, 90+% humidity day.
CitySan Antonio
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Benjamin Smith

Showing 101 - 110 of 361 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...37

Forum » Thread

GoLite VO24 Backpack REVIEW
Companion forum thread to: GoLite VO24 Backpack REVIEW

In Editor's Roundtable » GoLite VO24 Backpack REVIEW
June 05, 10:02pm

Re: Re: CDT SUL Hiker
Hey John, Francis lists his base pack weight for the CDT at 6.64 pounds here. He notes elsewhere that if he ditches the digital camera, MP3 player, and solar panel, he's under 5 pounds total...

In Philosophy & Technique » CDT SUL Hiker
June 04, 4:08pm

Re: Cleaning Closet
Jason - contacted you RE: the 900 Ti pot.

In Gear Swap » Cleaning Closet
June 02, 11:09pm

Re: Custom G4
I'll kick some pictures of my latest creation up as soon as I have the framesheet worked out. And I agree on mesh pockets. They don't help me a bit for most of the hiking I do.

In Make Your Own Gear » Custom G4
May 31, 10:48am

Re: Re: CO effects on health, long-term
FYI - Roger and Sue are out on their multi-month trek in Europe. We will likely hear from him when he gets back. Great article, Roger!

In Editor's Roundtable » Stoves, Tents and Carbon Monoxide - Deadly or Not?
Part 3: Laboratory Measurements for Canister Stoves

May 30, 2:28pm

Stoves, Tents and Carbon Monoxide - Deadly or Not? <br>Part 3: Laboratory Measurements for Canister Stoves
Companion forum thread to: Stoves, Tents and Carbon Monoxide - Deadly or Not? Part 3: Laboratory Measurements for Canister Stoves

In Editor's Roundtable » Stoves, Tents and Carbon Monoxide - Deadly or Not?
Part 3: Laboratory Measurements for Canister Stoves

May 29, 10:32pm

Sierra Designs Flash Sleeping Bag REVIEW
Companion forum thread to: Sierra Designs Flash Sleeping Bag REVIEW

In Editor's Roundtable » Sierra Designs Flash Sleeping Bag REVIEW
May 29, 10:31pm

Ultralight Knives and Other Sharp Things
Companion forum thread to: Ultralight Knives and Other Sharp Things

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Knives and Other Sharp Things
May 22, 9:05pm

Doing Denali Light
Companion forum thread to: Doing Denali Light Podcast: Doing Denali Light Part 1 Podcast: Doing Denali Light Part 2

In Editor's Roundtable » Doing Denali Light
May 22, 9:03pm

Sierra Designs Assailant Tent REVIEW
Companion forum thread to: Sierra Designs Assailant Tent REVIEW

In Editor's Roundtable » Sierra Designs Assailant Tent REVIEW
May 22, 8:53pm

All Reader Reviews by Benjamin Smith

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Platypus Platy Reservoir
I use the 4L Big Zip as my in camp water supply and for carting extra water through dry stretches (here in south Texas, the whole hike is typically a "dry stretch"). While I find the cap ang...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
July 15, 12:10pm

Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Pad
I've slept on this pad and on the similar POE Max Thermo (both full-length). The BA is more comfortable for back sleeping, and the POE is more comfortable when side sleeping. There's something...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 7:42am

Backpacking Light FireLite 500 Titanium Cookpot
I waited until I received the updated lid before posting my review, so my rating applies to the pot with the new "GOOD" lid, not the old "BAD" lid. My old lid didn't seat flush...

In Cookware - Titanium
May 07, 7:44pm

MSR Titan Kettle
I used this item on my recent Sawtooths trip. It worked great - stable, tight lid, strong - but I have one dilemma. I am a boil-and-set type cooker. This means I'm only boiling a cup or two at a time,...

In Cookware - Titanium
September 06, 4:46pm

New Balance 872
Weight - 12.7 oz Size - 9 EE Color - screaming, bright, obnoxious yellow So after years of wearing ill-fitting shoes, I decided to go in and see what size my feet really were. I typically wear 10...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
April 24, 5:19pm