BPL Community Profile

Bruce Tolley (btolley) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me I have been backpacking off and on since Boy Scouts at the end of the 1960s. Although at that time, it was called camping. We just had to walk 5 or 10 miles to the campsite. :))

I moved to lightweight to be able to keep up with my son when he joined Boy Scouts. Now I mostly aim for winter camping in Yosemite or the Tahoe-Donner area, spring and fall hikes in the Santa Cruz mountains, and summer trips to the Emigrant or Carson-Iceberg wilderness.
StateCalifornia
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Bruce Tolley

Showing 101 - 110 of 214 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Forum » Thread

Scout Adventure Race?
Sounds like a super awesome idea. Just some top of mind feedback... Here in California many of the orienteering club events work closely with the local land management agencies. It might be a...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » SCOUT ADVENTURE RACE?
October 02, 9:06am

Mountain House
In my experience the MH beefstew is their worst tasting dish. The turkey a la king is ok. I personally prefer to augment Mary Janes dishes or bring something prepared at home. Mike Clelland h...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Mountain House Beef Stew -- not impressed
October 01, 2:35pm

blended butane failure
+1 to another discussion of Boyle's Law on BPL.

In GEAR » blended butane failure
October 01, 2:31pm

Eater Reviews of Vegetarian Offerings ... For Scouts
To the OP, how long are you out for? and are you able/willing to use multiple pots or even a frying pan. If you are talking about one or two nights on the trail, I have been with groups that hav...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Eater Reviews of "vegetarian" offerings from Mountain House or other mainstream
September 27, 6:44pm

How many folk backpack all year round => snow camping!
In the winter in California above 7K, we call it snow camping. Shorter hikes, more solitude, and fresh ingredients for your dinner. What could be better. :-))

In Chaff » How many folk backpack all year round.
September 26, 9:02pm

Winter Pack Recommendations
+1 to Osprey Aether I fit all my gear into the 60 liter version but usually am sharing common gear and food with one or two buddies. Also, I have broken several components of the pack while ...

In GEAR » Winter Pack recommendations
September 22, 12:06pm

Philmont Repair Kit
Remember that there are commissaries and staffed camps available, so you area not really that far from help and small stores. Our 12 person crew took -one small roll duck tape that we did not u...

In Philmont » Repair Kit
September 22, 12:01pm

Solo -Plus Tent SOM-- Crowd Sourcing??
I found the author bashing a bit surprising. Having started out at BPL with getting printed copies in the mail. I was just happy to find a real, original article posted :-). I found it informative...

In Editor's Roundtable » Solo-Plus Tent State of the Market Report
September 22, 11:20am

Neoair Trekker plus
I find for snow camping that a full length Large original NeoAir works great on top of a CCF pad which in my case is usually my GG 3/4 length NightLight.

In GEAR » Neoair Trekker plus mylar/space blanket
September 13, 8:54pm

ULA Sleeping Bag
This thread seems to be generating more heat than light. The original questions posted by Ken Thompson still stand I think: >>> Specs. 20 Degree 550 Down Sleeping Bag 2.59 lbs 8...

In GEAR » ULA Sleeping bag
September 13, 2:08pm

All Reader Reviews by Bruce Tolley

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Big Agnes Sting Ridge 2
My usual solo snow camping shelter is a MLD duo mid with bivy sack. But last year I started doing base camping so I started looking for an affordable, relatively lightweight 4 season tent. After exa...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
September 15, 2:55pm

Black Diamond Ultra Distance
The new BD poles need to be praised for applying design principle of avalanche probes to hiking poles to create a lightweight, foldable pole. The 120cm carbon fiber pole has a manufacturer's claim...

In Trekking Poles
April 24, 11:12pm

Arc'Teryx Gamma LT pants
I bought these pants because out of the pletora of sub 16 oz. softshell pants on the market, they were about the only model that seemed to come with multiple zippered pockets (3), a built in belt, and...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
November 07, 11:16am

Lightweight Backpacking and Camping by Ryan Jordan et al.
I found Lightweight Backpacking and Camping for $24.95 in REI before I discovered the web site, so cannot fault it for repeating material on the web site. I had already read Ray Jardine's books so...

In Books and Media
September 07, 3:00pm

ULA Equipment
After much comparative shopping, I bought a Relay Pack from ULA. It arrived only a few days after placing the order. After four short trips, the haul loop ripped out. I wrote a short email to ULA (...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
September 05, 10:39pm

Suunto Vector
I bought this watch primarily as a watch and as an aid to navigation. More specically, my goal was to possess for a trek in the Rocky Mtns of New Mexico to have a compass to discretely double check b...

In Navigation Gear & Accessories
August 25, 3:59pm

Osprey Aether 60
While other reviewers have noted that this pack is not truly lightweight, some of that extra weight is due to features that come in handy for winter treks. This pack has shovel pocket that you can act...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
September 24, 3:30pm

Hilleberg Akto
The Hilleberg Akto is a relatively lightweight, one-person, double-walled hoop tent weighing in at a minimum 2 lbs. 14 oz., packed 3 lbs. 5 oz. (manuf claimed weights). I bought this tent for solo hik...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
April 20, 9:02pm