Steven McAllister (brooklynkayak) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Atlantic North East
About Me Outdoors
Expedition kayaking
Backpacking
CityBrooklyn
StateNY
CountryUS

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Steven McAllister

Showing 101 - 110 of 2000 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...200

Forum » Thread

Ultralight Hard Bottle?
From what I find, soda and Gatorade bottles break down over time when exposed to UV, like in a bike bottle holder. If you can keep the sun off them, they work great and last for many years. I...

In GEAR » Ultralight Hard Bottle?
November 23, 3:30am

Tricked Out Guy Lines
@Dale, Yes, I do use a larks head on the tarp tie-out to Whoopie connection. The Marlin Spike hitch would sometimes be used to attach to a line looped around the tree if needed.

In Philosophy & Technique » Tricked Out Guy Lines
November 22, 2:55pm

Tricked Out Guy Lines
Oh, and by the way, the best trick I found for splicing Zing-it or any other tiny line is to use a guitar string 15 to 20 gauge solid, not wound. It's just the right size and stiffness.

November 22, 2:40pm

Tricked Out Guy Lines
Yes James, I'm sure there are a few other nuts like us that are doing this. And on the subject of panel guy lines, I wanted to keep my post relatively simple, but in fact I also do use whopp...

November 22, 2:18pm

Tricked Out Guy Lines
I had made whoopie slings for my hammock and thought why not whoopie slings for my tarp ridge lines? These could be useful with or without the hammock, tied to trees or staked with trekking pole...

November 22, 1:52pm

Opinel 6 3/8 inch Beechwood Handle Folding Saw
This looks to be a good compromise in weight and functionality compared to other saws I've seen. I don't build fires or cook with a wood stove much anymore, but if I did, I'd definit...

In GEAR » Opinel 6 3/8 inch Beechwood Handle Folding Saw
November 22, 12:32pm

winter tents
And: "Not including the 2+ lb sleeping bag/quilt" Actually many people I know use 3 pound or heavier sleeping bags in the winter, but they strip down to almost nothing when they go to...

In GEAR » winter tents
November 19, 6:44pm

Bear bag line options
I use the Lawson Iron Wire for my bear bag line and love the way it slips through almost everything. Also consider Zing-it. It is what the arborists use and is also very slick and the 1.7 version ...

In GEAR » Bear bag line options
November 19, 6:35pm

winter tents
Spindrift in a hammock is not an issue with a winter setup with closed end tarp and a hammock sock. An open hammock of course is obviously not meant for winter camping, but people do it. I did it ...

In GEAR » winter tents
November 19, 4:19pm

Winter Tents
Another consideration. When solo, it's going to be cold and trees are common, a hammock can be a good option. My example is a hammock, with down under and top quilt, a highly breathable h...

In GEAR » winter tents
November 19, 5:51am

All Reader Reviews by Steven McAllister

Showing 1 - 10 of 11 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

RailRiders Eco-Mesh Clothing
I wear both the shirt and the pants when sun and/or bugs are an issue. They are light, well ventilated and flexible. Mesh ventilated sleeves on the shirt protects arms from bug and sun. Loose fi...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
November 08, 5:25pm

Melanzana micro grid hoody
Grid fleece is more hydrophobic than standard fleece, but not quite as warm without a shell. Great for cool days. Put a wind shell over the top and you have a warm combination that breaths well and k...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
November 08, 4:53pm

Integral Designs Silcoat Cape
The biggest complaint that people seem to have about this cape is that it doesn't extend below the knees. I personally prefer this as it works better when hiking in rough terrain or when wearing ...

In Clothing - Raingear
November 08, 10:12am

Mountain Laurel Designs Monk Tarp Spinnaker
This makes a great summer or emergency ultralight shelter. Add a bivy and it could be used year round. I had problems with the durability of the spinnaker version. A couple tie-outs are starting to...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 08, 10:00am

Six Moon Designs Serenity NetTent
Although most people use this combined with the Gatewood Cape, I have used it many times under an Oware Alphamid and I'm sure it would work great under many other pyramid shelters. It is lighter...

November 08, 9:50am

Equinox 8 X 10 silnylon tarp
Although it has grommets instead of tie-outs, the grommets are reinforced and can take abuse. It has mid-point tie-outs that help make it a more versatile shelter. A great step up from the stand...

November 08, 9:41am

Integral Designs Siltarp 2
A good all around tarp. It does not have any mid point tie-outs like Oware and others have. This limits your pitch options, but if all you use is an a-frame or flying diamond pich, this is perfe...

November 08, 9:28am

Oware Flat Tarp 2.5
You will not find a more flexible shelter. Square shape and multiple well placed tie-outs means more pitch options than most shelters. 9'x9' means big enough for a variety of conditions. ...

November 08, 9:23am

Gossamer Gear Spinshelter
The GG Spinnshelter has much of the flexibility of a flat tarp, but easier pitch in a storm-proof mode. It sheds wind well and is fairly roomy when pitched high. You may not be able to fully sit ...

May 25, 9:48am

Gatorade Bottle
On problem with sports drink(Gatorade) bottles is that the cap is made out of a different more brittle material. I have experienced the caps breaking many times from being dropped when full of water. ...

In Hydration - Water Storage Containers
June 18, 5:24am