Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Laurence Beck (beckla) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I was born in Kansas City,MO. but raised in Riverside,CA before moving to Orange County, CA in 1989. I developed a love for backpacking in the Boy Scouts as a kid so, in 2004, I joined a local Hiking and Backpacking Club. My lightweight testimony has been an evolving story. I started out in 2004 with a base weight around 40 lbs, made a transitional reduction to 30 lbs and then to 25 lbs over the last couple of years. Now, with the help of BPL forums, I am down to about 14 1/2 lbs including a bear canister.
CitySan Juan Capistrano
StateCalifornia
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListMar 2011 - Stuck at 15-16 lbs

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Laurence Beck

Showing 101 - 110 of 246 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...25

Forum » Thread

Adventure 16 has a 10% off sale until Dec 13th.
Adventure 16 has a 10% sale going on until Dec 13th. You get 10% of your entire purchase and they carry Western Mountaineering bags. I tried the Summerlite out in their store with my MB Down Inner ...

In GEAR » marmot helium vs. montbell UL Spiral Down Hugger #1 vs. WM alpinlite/ultralite
November 30, 10:37am

Pick it up!
If it is within reason, pick it up and carry it out with your own trash. I found someone's trash stash under a rock at Tyndall Creek on the JMT so I just shoved it into my own trash bag. It ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Trash in the woods
November 21, 6:01pm

Thanks.. I do remember that now...
I must be getting senile... :) I even commented on your original post. I'll have to try out the bandana approach and your handle idea. I may also just breakdown and get a esbit stove with...

In GEAR » Beer can pot questions
November 14, 9:12pm

Beer can pot questions
I just made a Foster's Oil Can beer can pot. It has a 25oz capacity and it weighs under 1oz. My questions are: Is there any problem using a beer can pot with a canister stove like a Pock...

In GEAR » Beer can pot questions
November 14, 8:02pm

Partial JMT's are great
Although all of these off trail hikes may be cool you can always cut out a chunk of the JMT to suit your needs. Yosemite Valley to Red's Meadows - 60 miles Red's Meadows to Whitney Port...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What are the best 50-150 mile hikes in the country?
November 12, 6:20pm

What a beautiful baby!
Your baby is beautiful! What are your plans when the baby gets too heavy to carry? My friends have one that they take backpacking as well. He is 15 months old now so next summer he may be too heavy.

In Editor's Roundtable » Backpacking: Baby on Board
November 11, 1:10am

FS: Golite Lair Nest 2
I purchased this item and never used it except to setup in my backyard once. It is a fully enclosed bug screen with a bathtub floor and a zipped entry. I am asking $50. It weighs 25oz. The photos a...

In Gear Swap » FS: Golite Lair Nest 2
November 05, 9:01pm

This is kind of goofy but some of the avatars on BPL show off some really cool places. I am always wondering, "where is that?" So, if you feel like it, describe the place, event,and wh...

In Chaff » Avatar
October 28, 9:49pm

Harness?
David Ure: I am not planning on having my feet off the ground for my kind of summit. I am mostly planning on using this day pack for side excursions where you would not be taking your full pack. Th...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Summit pack?
October 28, 9:43pm

REI Flash 18?
David Lutz: Are you talking about the REI Flash 18? That weighs 10oz but if you are just using it as a removable extension to your pack then it effectively would not add weight provided that you ne...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Summit pack?
October 28, 4:41pm

All Reader Reviews by Laurence Beck

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1
I purchased the Big Agnes SL1 three years ago and I have spent at least 30 nights in it. I am only 6 ft tall so the length is actually perfect for me. The real beauty of this tent is that it is light ...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
September 28, 8:27pm

Klearwater Klearwater
I have been using KlearWater for about 3-4 years and I love it. I refrigerate it while not in use and I have never had to throw out a bottle. My favorite feature is the ability to treat a larger quant...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
April 27, 12:08pm

National Geographic TOPO! Outdoor Recreation Mapping Software - California
I used Nat. Geographic's TOPO California to plan a John Muir Trail hike last summer (06). It was great at showing profiles and I loaded waypoints to my Garmin GPSMAP 60C. The one slight ptoblem is...

In Navigation Gear & Accessories
February 07, 5:18pm