Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Bernard Shaw (be_here_now@earthlink.net) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Upstate New York
About Me Avid Mountaineer, Trip Leader, Kayak Instructor and Educator, my love of people, wildlife, nature, and photography are fulfilling balances to my profession of child psychology and compassionate assistance for complex child and adult abuse situations. I have had a wonderful life and feel fortunate to have a loving partner, good friends, and wonderful outdoor students and professional clients. Please feel free to email me for integrated outdoor adventures whether to the High Sierras or On the water!
CitySaratoga Springs
StateNY
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://web.mac.com/be_here_now/iWeb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Bernard Shaw

Showing 101 - 107 of 107 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Forum » Thread

Myths about protein and energy
A number of nutritionists and researchers say that it is a myth that protein supplies allot of energy to the athlete, and there is such a thing as too much, i.e., there are very important negative...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Lightweight Food and Nutrition (LEGACY POSTS FROM OLD FORUMS)
October 21, 5:46am

Re: Re: WP/B Commentary
This makes sense out of the bewildering array of factors presented to us by the industry hype. Do you currently feel that under the conditions you describe that the increased transfer of eVent...

In Editor's Roundtable » Waterproof-Breathable Technologies
February 13, 8:44am

WP/B Commentary
Congratulations on yet another researched, clear,and integrated article that helps to balance the trend away from hype, faddishness, and heat without light. Although you all have discussed t...

In Editor's Roundtable » Waterproof-Breathable Technologies
February 13, 7:53am

What if there were NO rescues?
How might this discussion go if reality was explicitly that stepping into the wilderness meant you understood there would be NO rescue if you screwed up? Like during a huricane and you choose to i...

In Editor's Roundtable » Personal Locator Beacons & Other Wireless Technologies for Backcountry Travel?
February 03, 6:11pm

Integrity Plus Knowledge May not Be Best for Business Always
It is worth saying that althogh we all treasure retailers who have integrity, knowledge born of experience and intelligent analysis of that experience, we know that as buyers many of us can and ar...

In Editor's Roundtable » Outdoor Specialty Retailers
January 28, 8:21am

Adopt carefully balanced rescue costs
Neighboring states, Vermont and New Hampshire have adopted carefully reasoned and balanced regulations for those among us who do not use good judgment, proper equipment, maps, compass, and knowled...

In Editor's Roundtable » Personal Locator Beacons & Other Wireless Technologies for Backcountry Travel?
December 20, 8:48pm

plb benefits costs
My concern with plb's has to do with increasing the tendency among some adventureers to not taking personal responsibility for one's own safety, causing worry and suffering for family during rescue...

November 23, 9:45pm

All Reader Reviews by Bernard Shaw

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear SpinnTwinn Tarp
Definitely 5/5. 47 sq. ft. useable area for 8.0 oz of the best spinnaker cloth available this is a very versatile tarp for two plus their gear. A Pletntitude of stake loop, very high quality stitchi...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
April 16, 7:24pm

Titanium Goat 2 section poles
These two section poles are very stiff, come apart and join effortlessly, are quiet, the tip is replaceable, very light, about 4.7 oz. per pole (the non-take down pole, 3.1 oz), and the handles comfor...

In Trekking Poles
April 08, 8:32pm

Backpacking Light Ti Esbit stove
Well made and my own fault for not noting dimensions and specs. That said, fit is marginal at best for MSR titan kettle. I have to bend and grind it to modify it so it would work.

In Stoves - Other
March 09, 8:27pm

PossumDown Glove Liner Gloves
BPL has been clear about the limits of durability of the Possum material, so not a gripe here. Just, in my experience, even when baby them they wear out very very quickly. Thin spots develop even whe...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
February 06, 7:25am