BPL Community Profile

Andrew Wilson (andreww) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Vosges
About Me A PCTr 1998, all home-sewn, I've persued outdoor pursuits lightweight since. Currently I'm riding my 1983 Raleigh super-comp through the passes of the Vosges.
CityStrasbourg
StateBas-Rhin
CountryFrance

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Andrew Wilson

Showing 101 - 110 of 120 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Forum » Thread

Clothes + Umbrella + sending things ahead
I think your clothes are well chosen for higher elevations like the Sierra (though a 200wt fleece equivalent may help here), or parts of the Desert Divide, and N. Washington. Its perhaps too much (...

In Gear Lists » PCT gear list
January 13, 3:09am

Emergency gear
Since I'll be making mostly day climbs from refuges in the Alps, a lighter weight offering for emergency use is really all I need. The Marmot precip looks like a great compromise for weight/pri...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Full side zip shell pants
January 08, 2:24am

Full side zip shell pants
I'm looking for a pair of reasonably lightweight and durable shell pants to use for summer mountaineering in the Alps, along with some winter/spring ski-randoneering. I would like something tha...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Full side zip shell pants
January 04, 6:24am

Cheap Tarp Shelters
Now that I have a growing family, I'm more interested in flexible, expandable, and cheap shelters to fit ever changing needs. Having a commercial tent to meet car and wilderness camping for 1, ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Cheap Tarp Shelters
December 27, 1:41am

Batona ticks
I did the Batona in 2007 at the end of May. Foolishly setting out in shorts, my buddy and I flicked off 400+ (not a typo) ticks from our legs in the first three hours. That's just the big ones ...

In Post-Trip Reports » Batona Trail (NJ)
December 22, 9:58am

"Disposable" flask
Just saw this pop up on Uncrate: http://www.uncrate.com/men/home/bar/disposable-flask/ 7.5 fl oz. Could be great for various items. Probably much more durable than "disposable" conn...

In GEAR » "Disposable" flask
December 03, 2:16am

Worldstove: Beaner stove
That is, carabiner (mispelled), I think, which will be explained by visiting the website: http://worldstove.com/products/the-beaner-backpacking-stove/ Not so lightweight as is (244g), but a i...

In Make Your Own Gear » Worldstove: Beaner stove
November 02, 2:53am

Fabulous pics!
You took some great pictures here, very professional, with great color and depth of field, still shots (tripod?). I found myself wondering how could this be achieved lightweight. What was your phot...

In Editor's Roundtable » Photo Essay: A Traverse of the Bob Marshall Wilderness by Foot and Packraft
September 23, 1:53am

Sewing machine
I have sewed on many old machines and new ones. It all depends on how much hassle you want to deal with. On the low end a used good machine is your best bet---the new brothers and janomes and kenmo...

In Make Your Own Gear » sewing machine for making gear
February 15, 9:57am

passive downdraught gassifier woodstoves are not possible
You are all correct that these are not downdraft stoves. But you are incorrect that they are not gassifiers, and that they are some kind of urban legend. Whether the technology is best put to use f...

In Make Your Own Gear » has anyone tried this wood burning stove?
February 15, 9:28am

All Reader Reviews by Andrew Wilson

Andrew Wilson has posted no reviews.