BPL Community Profile

Dean F. (acrosome) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Back in the Front Range
About Me Solvitur ambulando sub divo.
CityColorado Springs
StateColorado
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Dean F.

Showing 101 - 110 of 1539 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...154

Forum » Thread

Germany
Q: Do you know why crime is so rare in Germany? A: It's against the law.

In Chaff » German town abolishes traffic lights, signs and codes. Everything got better and safer.
November 25, 3:16pm

I'm all for softness... in others.
I did a 3-day hike in Lost Creek Wilderness and environs once during some awful weather. Slushy rain, hail, snow- always right around freezing so it would melt, get you wet, then freeze again. ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Are We Going Soft? Asks the BMC's Carey Davies
November 25, 2:32pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hygiene
>>> One thing you guys are forgetting is what happens if a general surgeon nicks the intestine during surgery? You guessed it...serious infection. Because the bacteria leaking out of the g...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Giardia Outbreak
November 25, 2:18pm

Fritos Corn Chips
My 'morale' food for a long time has been Fritos Corn Chips. Ingredients: corn, corn oil, salt. Buy the single-serving bags, put a pinhole in the bag to get the air out then cover the pin...

In Editor's Roundtable » Simplifying Expedition Food With Single Serving Sized Packages
November 25, 10:53am

combustion products
@ "For those who are truly concerned about methanol toxicity, perhaps it might be more fruitful to determine what are the byproduct(s) of methanol combustion, then query PubMed using those by...

In GEAR » Safest alcohol for stoves - US perspective
November 10, 5:59pm

Re: Re: Food vs petrochemical manufacturers
@ Dale- I would propose that one of your criticisms of S-L-X isn't really a criticism. You complain that it is 45% adulterants. But almost all of that adulterant is methanol, which for our p...

November 08, 5:36pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Safest alcohol for stoves - US perspective
@ "Ok, I shouldn't assume much in a thread by a bunch of alky noobs." :) Ah, hubris... Philip, for what it's worth the back of the last S-L-X can that I bought says specifi...

November 07, 11:44am

Re: Re: Re: Safest alcohol for stoves - US perspective
@ Greg- Well, the point that methanol lights easier in extreme cold probably IS true- it vaporizes at a lower temperature than does ethanol, and there is a lot of empirical experience on this fo...

November 07, 6:09am

Methanol Panic
I have to agree that the worry about methanol is overblown a bit. A bit. Is it ideal? No. But marine stoves have been burning it for, what, a century? Yes, it is toxic, but burning it for a fe...

November 06, 2:44pm

righteous indignation
Then I expect to see all of you here on the forums expressing your righteous indignation the next time you see a story about some idiot calling 9-1-1 because he can't find his car in the mall p...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hiker rescued for 2nd time on same Utah mountain
November 05, 6:56am

All Reader Reviews by Dean F.

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Bushnell SolarWrap Mini
Very light, but lost points for a smaller battery capacity than competitors and for durability concerns. And, shouldn't we really have an Electronic category in Gear Reviews at this point? Put...

In Miscellaneous Products
February 09, 6:56pm

Ultimate Hiker's Gear Guide -Andrew Skurka book
Wow, how to rate this book? It is NOT meant for someone who is already an experienced UL hiker. There is nothing in this book that someone like that doesn't already know or can find out in fiv...

In Books and Media
June 21, 3:43pm

Klepper Double wood framed folding kayak
I own a Long Haul Mark 2, which is a copy of the Klepper Double. Though the fasteners vary very slightly the Klepper frame can use the Long Haul hull-skins and vice versa. The guy who builds the Lon...

In Miscellaneous Products
March 27, 1:18pm

Sawyer In-Line Filter
I have a slightly different kit- the 0.1 micron 4-way filter. Of the filters available I give it a 5. It's not perfect, but IMHO it is the best that is available, hands down. The 4-way kit come...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
December 08, 10:12am

La Sportiva Crosslite
Personally, I rate this shoe a 5/5 because I'm ecstatic to find a shoe that FITS! (I have mutant monkey-feet.) But generally it is probably a 4. Listen, ye, to my tale of woe... I just mov...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
September 27, 6:02pm

Mont Bell
My wife ordered something I wanted for my birthday from MontbellUSA (not the main company in Japan). She included several ways of contacting her. Three and a half months later it hadn't arrived, s...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
September 03, 11:46pm