BPL Community Profile

Tjaard Breeuwer (Tjaard) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Minnesota, USA
About Me I like to get out and camp, but I don't like a heavy pack on my back. I love hiking, mtb-packing, xc skiing and ice skate touring.
CityDuluth
StateMN
CountryUS

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tjaard Breeuwer

Showing 101 - 110 of 369 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...37

Forum » Thread

How warm is your bag?
How warm is bag for you? With a tent and baselayers and a hat, is it comfy for you at 25F? Or only down to 30F? Or even 20F? The point i am making is, how much colder will it be than the lowest ...

In Winter Hiking » Taking a 25 degree bag down to 0
January 04, 8:21pm

+2
I have been thinking that with the description of the Hoks and our local terrain, it would seem like a match made in heaven. We will need to get some more snow snow though, at least here in Duluth,...

In Winter Hiking » Altai Hok on SHT
January 04, 8:00pm

Still better than snowshoes!
It's still better than snowshoes, even if you aren't getting glide on the flat, you still glide on the descents and even on the flat you don't have to lift you feet up with every step. ...

In Winter Hiking » XC ski travel: Any glide in unbroken powder?
January 04, 7:55pm

Breathable bivy sack tor educe in bag condensation?
Has anyone used a non-waterproof bivy sack for winter camping in order to have the condensation occur on the outside of the sleeping bag, where it is easier to remove/dry? I could see this in th...

In Winter Hiking » Breathable bivy sack tor educe in bag condensation?
January 04, 7:50pm

Thanks
Thanks for the comments. To clarify: Price: Salomon XA6 $125 Salomon XA8 $240 Garmont+binding $370 If I look at the boots and at your comments it seems to me that the XA8 offer the best...

In GEAR » Salomon X adventure 6 or Garmont Excursion?
January 04, 9:36am

Revelation X is under $200 and has 850fp down.....
Enlightened equipment revelation X 20 degree, even with 30% overfill its still only 190-200, and if you got the wide you could layer it over your summer bag for serious cold.

In GEAR » Is 600-650 down worth it?
January 03, 6:16pm

Non-double boots
How were the non-double boots for overnight use? I do worry about freezing them solid during the night.

In Editor's Roundtable » An Introduction to Nordic and Backcountry Ski Gear: Part 2 - Advanced Nordic Ski Mountaineering on UL Tele Gear
January 02, 7:49pm

thin down jkt for warmer weather, thicker for colder....
I agree: down(mostly) for in camp. So, thin down jacket for milder conditions, thick one for colder weather. Unlike the previous poster, I do use my super thin down jacket a fair bit. Howeve...

In GEAR » Puff Jacket Usage Philosophy
January 02, 7:25pm

decent fit for me
I only have their down jackets and pants and a pair of Dynamo pants I am tall with long arms and legs and quite slim. I would say I find their sleeves to be on the reasonably long side, as lo...

In GEAR » Montbell jacket sizing
January 02, 7:16pm

Salomon X adventure 6 or Garmont Excursion?
I am looking to get new BC-nordic boots. would like experiences/tips. I have Fisher BCX boundless Crown (98-70-88) skis, with X adventure(SNS- BC)bindings. I currently have the weird old Salomon...

In GEAR » Salomon X adventure 6 or Garmont Excursion?
January 02, 1:47pm

All Reader Reviews by Tjaard Breeuwer

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Goosefeet gear Custom down parka
This review is for a custom down parka from Goosefeet gear. Par...</td>          
           <td class=

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
April 14, 10:24am

Enlightened Equipment Revelation X
Quality: The sewing is very neatly done, I have not looked super close at the fabric but from a casual glance I don't see any blemishes. Nice soft hand. Fit: I have a 6'6&qu...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
September 17, 12:30pm

Golite Hex 3
I was surprised to see we fit comfortably with our family of 4, while using the nest. By hanging it from a line between two trees, we have room for a double bag in the center and no pole to be knocke...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
April 06, 9:33pm

L.L. Bean Ultralight 850 Down Jacket
I returned the L tall I had ordered, as the sleeves were too short. I ended up with a Montbell in XL which had longer sleeves and was no more baggy than the L tall LL Bean.

March 08, 9:26pm

Montbell Down inner pants
As mentioned these are a nice and light pair of warm pants. Sorry for the exclamation marks but I have never found stock pants like this! The great news with these is that they fit very slim for...

March 02, 11:36am

mont-bell Thermawrap Parka & Pants
I got the womens size S for my daughter, who wears size 6(yr old) kids clothes normally. The lightest hooded kids parka I could find was the Marmot Amadablam. This is lighter, longer in the waist ...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
February 20, 9:08pm

02 Rainwear Rain Suit
The design is poor, with a crummy hood that doesn't cover my chin and no bill, short sleeves and body, wide opening at the waist and no articulation anywhere. Wimpy rainflap over a very porous zip...

In Clothing - Raingear
February 16, 8:48pm

Cioch Direct /Paramo custom
I have a Cioch Direct Glamaigh and can only echo the previous comments: It is as breathable as an uncoated windshell,but the liner makes it as warm as a windshell with light fleece underneath. So ...

In Clothing - Raingear
February 15, 9:04am