BPL Community Profile

Walter Carrington (Snowleopard) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Mass.
About Me Walter Carrington has not added a biography yet.
CityAshburnham
StateMA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Walter Carrington

Showing 101 - 110 of 565 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...57

Forum » Thread

Permethrin.
Permethrin does not repel mosquitoes, but kills insects that crawl on it. A bit of bare skin an inch from permethrin treated clothing is almost unaffected by the permethrin. It does help with mo...

In GEAR » Is Permetherin beneficial in the Sierras?
July 07, 10:31am

RE: Winter Sleeping Bag Recommendations
The EMS Mountain Light -20 is decent and is on sale now for $321.

In GEAR » Winter Sleeping Bag Recommendations
July 07, 10:10am

Nylofume bags.
Ken, there have been some group buys of odorproof nylofume bags. These are used to put your stuff in when a pest company fumigates your home, so you could check your local pest company. Also: ...

In GEAR » New source for packliners
July 03, 3:13pm

Climbing Rainier in a course/guided climb
It's a bit expensive, but Rainier Mountaineering conducts courses and guided climbs on Mt.Rainier. I took one many years ago and it was excellent -- Ed Viesturs was one of the instructors.

In Pre-Trip Planning » Questions on hiking upto Camp Muir (first timer at Mt. Rainier)
June 27, 6:12pm

RE: the DIY Gear Scramble-a-Thon!
Nice sewing machine. Hammock: Aren't there some long stretches above treeline on the CT? That would make hammocking difficult. Conditioning: If your long hikes are five miles, load up your...

In Make Your Own Gear » the DIY Gear Scramble-a-Thon!
June 25, 4:29pm

Malaria: making mosquito nets for Haitians.
Someone with contacts in Haiti has asked me about buying or making mosquito nets for sleeping to prevent malaria. These would be for an educational project that nuns are conducting for the poor in ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Malaria: making mosquito nets for Haitians.
June 22, 10:24am

RE: Insect repellent bracelets -- don't use them.
Most of these don't work. If any do work they're dangerous. Think of flea collars for cats and dogs. They do work, but they are not approved for human use. Use DEET or one of the natur...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Has anyone used these?...please chime in: Insect Repellent Bracelets
June 22, 10:06am

Bear trap.
You could use that size duct tape for bear traps, similar to fly traps but bigger.

In Chaff » If Ultralight is Ultraright Then How Much is Too Much?
June 16, 12:57pm

quilt sleeping advice...Silk sheet.
The lightest solution would be a small silk sheet to cover the pad, 1 to 2 oz total depending on the size and weight of silk. Probably something like 8mm habotai silk from: http://www.dharmatradin...

In GEAR » quilt sleeping advice...
June 03, 3:12pm

Scented trash compactor bags and asthma.
I tried trash compactor bags from the grocery store and they were a very powerful asthma trigger for me, i.e., instant asthma attack. I couldn't even keep them in the house. These scents are...

In GEAR » Trash compactor bags - scented
May 31, 2:12pm

All Reader Reviews by Walter Carrington

Walter Carrington has posted no reviews.