Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Charles G. (Rincon) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Desert Southwest
About Me Mountaineer and backpacker since 1946 mainly in the western US but with excursions to Antarctica, Alaska, western Canada, North Africa and Japan. Hiked the John Muir Trail solo and unsupported in 1954; this was the start of my lightweight endeavors which have proceeded erratically ever since.
StateSE Arizona
My PDF Gear ListThree season gear for western mountains.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Charles G.

Showing 101 - 110 of 314 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...32

Forum » Thread

WHICH BACKPACK
For what are you considering these packs?

In GEAR » WHICH BACKPACK
May 05, 12:14pm

Ziplock storage containers
I use a 1 3/4 cup Ziplock storage container as a substitute for freezer bags. The container is easy to find in the market, has a snap on lid and weighs less than an ounce. I think that Glad makes...

In GEAR » Freezer bag cooking vs. pot cooking - weight of boil-in-bag bags?
May 05, 6:35am

BA Fly Creek
On the other hand, I have used a Fly Creek 1 ( not the UL) for four years including several fairly long (>100 mile) hikes in the Sierra and it has served me well. So far, the tent doesn't s...

In GEAR » Tent for the JMT
April 29, 4:14pm

SMD Starlite might be worth a look.
Not sure about the Catylist but I know that the SMD Starlite will take a large bear can (BV-500) horizontally with a lot of space to spare. I used this pack for at least four years and finally got...

In GEAR » Which ULA pack when you need more volume?
April 26, 10:42am

I'll second this.
I am also impressed with ZPacks service . I recommend them to anyone looking for quality, ultra-lightweight backpacking gear.

In GEAR » Gotta love those ZPacks guys
April 23, 6:03am

Hexamid sold.
Sold.

In Gear Swap » FS, ZPacks Hexamid Solo
April 21, 11:30am

Hexamid for sale
Check out the Hexamid that I listed today. Ten ounces, nearly new, quick delivery and fair price.

In Gear Swap » WTB solo tarp shelter: gatewood, hexamid, solomid, cricket
April 20, 8:40pm

SOLD ZPacks Hexamid Solo
For sale, olive drab, ZPacks Hexamid Solo Tent, w/o beak and optional floor. Weight on my accurate scales is 10 oz., almost exactly. This tent has only had light use and is in like-new condition....

In Gear Swap » FS, ZPacks Hexamid Solo
April 20, 10:13am

Curing by cooking.
I know that this does not answer your question but using the pot for cooking is an uncontrolled sort of heat curing. I have two pots that I use, one aluminum, the other titanium. About five years...

In GEAR » Curing High-T paint on Your Pot
April 20, 6:31am

Return via the Bright Angel trail
If you decide to do this then I strongly recommend that you return on the Bright Angel trail. There is water at Indian Gardens, and at two other locations about half way and 3/4 of the way up from...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Grand Canyon -- Rim to River to Rim in August Is this Stupid
April 16, 12:34pm

All Reader Reviews by Charles G.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1
Rating: rated 4 of 5 stars Design: Semi-free-standing Sleeps: 1 Ease of Setup: Moderately easy Weight: 2 lb, 3 oz Price Paid: $240 I bought the Big Agnes Fly Creek to replace a Tarptent Contra...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
February 12, 7:32pm