BPL Community Profile

Charles G. (Rincon) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Desert Southwest
About Me Mountaineer and backpacker since 1946 mainly in the western US but with excursions to Antarctica, Alaska, western Canada, North Africa and Japan. Hiked the John Muir Trail solo and unsupported in 1954; this was the start of my lightweight endeavors which have proceeded erratically ever since.
StateSE Arizona
My PDF Gear ListThree season gear for western mountains.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Charles G.

Showing 101 - 110 of 302 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...31

Forum » Thread

Typo, sorry.
Typo, sorry. I just corrected it.

In Gear Lists » John Muir Trail, late Aug./early Sept. gear list.
April 06, 2:05pm

John Muir Trail, late Aug./early Sept. gear list.
I would appreciate any suggestions you might have regarding potential weight savings for the gear list below. I estimate the walk as taking about 20 days. I am no longer interested in tarp or tar...

In Gear Lists » John Muir Trail, late Aug./early Sept. gear list.
April 06, 10:54am

Tylenol is acetominophen
David, I think you meant ibuprofen for one of the listed meds. Tylenol is a brand name for acetominophen (or paracetamol in the UK). I make the same mistake often and my wife is quite patient in ...

In GEAR » Adventure Medical Kits
April 03, 6:37am

Transitions
There are several levels of darkness available with the Transitions lenses. The darker versions also stay darker when out of the sun. You can get an idea of what is available online before you go...

In GEAR » Rx Sunglasses
April 02, 6:28am

1950 Sierra Club "Going Light --" book.
About 1950 the Sierra Club published a book titled "Going Light With Backpack or Burro". It was a compendium of then state-of-the-art lightweight backpacking techniques. For many years ...

In GEAR » Which cannonballs should I be looking at?
February 19, 6:44am

Backpacking in SEVERE weather (hurricanes/storms)
I wasn't backpacking but I was working as a Forest Service timber cruiser in the woods of western Oregon when the Columbus Day storm of 1962 came through with winds well in excess of 70 mph. W...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Backpacking in SEVERE weather (hurricanes/storms) etc.
November 04, 2:27pm

Surrounded by coyotes
I live in rural SE Arizona and have numerous coyotes on and near my property. Mostly, they mind their own business, as I mind mine: although they seldom seem disturbed when they see me. I have ne...

In GEAR » Surrounded by coyotes need help
October 16, 7:41pm

how much weight can I expect seam-sealing adds to a shelter's weight?
Unless you really slop it on, it should add no more than an ounce to the weight. What does add weight is painting "non-skid" stripes on the silnylon floor. I added nearly 2 oz doing thi...

In GEAR » how much weight can I expect seam-sealing adds to a shelter's weight?
October 01, 6:47am

Which pack would be better for a PCT through-hike
In addition to some of the other packs that have been recommended, I would suggest that you consider the either the Gossamer Gear Gorilla (25 oz) or the Six Moons Designs Starlite (28 oz). Both pa...

In Gear Lists » Which pack would be better for a PCT through-hike?
September 22, 2:49pm

Anyone else have stitching problems with New Balance trail runners?
I have been using NB 759TR trail running shoes recently. I get an excellent fit with the shoe and I like the neutral foot position. I now have hiked about 250 miles in them, about half of it in t...

In GEAR » Anyone else have stitching problems with New Balance trail runners?
November 20, 6:13am

All Reader Reviews by Charles G.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1
Rating: rated 4 of 5 stars Design: Semi-free-standing Sleeps: 1 Ease of Setup: Moderately easy Weight: 2 lb, 3 oz Price Paid: $240 I bought the Big Agnes Fly Creek to replace a Tarptent Contra...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
February 12, 7:32pm