BPL Community Profile

Rex Sanders (Rex) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Central California Coast
About Me Started backpacking with the Boy Scouts in the 1960s, which should have cured me, but friends intervened. Failed PCT thru-hikes in 1976, 1980, and other adventures (whitewater rafting 1987-present) put backpacking on hold for a while.

In 1998 I read Jardine's PCT book and saw the light. I'm not super- ultra- anything, my base weight is about 14 pounds. But I'm back on the trails again.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rex Sanders

Showing 101 - 110 of 399 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...40

Forum » Thread

NYTimes: Who Made That Spork?
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/01/magazine/who-made-that-spork.html The last time you picked up a “spork” — whether a plastic one for your fast-food meal or the titanium one you took on yo...

In On the Web » NYTimes: Who Made That Spork?
November 29, 9:41pm

Re: Now I'm trolling. [BioLite stoves]
BioLite stoves are a triumph of engineering and marketing over real usefulness. BioLite stoves generate 2 watts. You can get 4 watts from a single AA battery! The extra weight of a BioLite st...

In GEAR » Electric cooking in the wilderness – a rough analysis
November 29, 2:56pm

Maximum human-powered electric cooking
Wikipedia says: A trained cyclist can produce about 400 watts of mechanical power for an hour or more. You could boil 2 cups of water in about 13 minutes generating 400 watts of electricity.

November 29, 11:43am

Wind power!
The MiniWiz HyMini generator unfortunately has been discontinued. -- Rex

In GEAR » Alternative electronic gadget chargers
November 29, 11:37am

Re: Windup stove?
A small Freeplay hand-cranked generator weighs 310 grams and generates about 8.5 watts if the FreeCharge is cranked energetically enough. If you had 59 of these generators (and 59 people to ...

November 29, 9:41am

Re: Lightning pack...
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=sciam-50-see-through-tech One version even generates electricity—more than seven watts, enough to recharge phones. You need 72 packs wired t...

November 28, 11:37pm

How Many Batteries Would It Take to Cook a Turkey?
I'm not the only one ... http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/11/how-many-batteries-would-it-take-to-cook-a-turkey/ -- Rex Spoiler alert: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ....

November 27, 9:22pm

Re: Lithium ion batteries in freezing temperatures
Depends on the battery. Manufacturer's specs: Eneloop AA batteries go to -20° C with 1900 mAh capacity and 1500 recharges. "Eneloop XX" AA batteries go to -20° C with 2550 mAh...

In GEAR » Lithium ion batteries in freezing temperatures
November 27, 9:44am

Worry about electrical shock, too?
Ran across this today: ER doctors warn about 10,000 volt wires in mud runs. Those muddy obstacle course races everyone seems to be doing lately can be dangerous, especially when they involve ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Warmth in True Wetness
November 24, 11:23pm

If I only reported trips that went according to plan ...
... I would have very few stories to tell. I have completed exactly two long backpacking trips on schedule, in 45+ years of off-and-on backpacking. And I still had too much Type 2 fun on one of ...

In Post-Trip Reports » Hemingway’s Big Two-Hearted
November 24, 7:41pm

All Reader Reviews by Rex Sanders

Rex Sanders has posted no reviews.