BPL Community Profile

Rex Sanders (Rex) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Central California Coast
About Me Started backpacking with the Boy Scouts in the 1960s, which should have cured me, but friends intervened. Failed PCT thru-hikes in 1976, 1980, and other adventures (whitewater rafting 1987-present) put backpacking on hold for a while.

In 1998 I read Jardine's PCT book and saw the light. I'm not super- ultra- anything, my base weight is about 13 pounds. But I'm back on the trails again.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rex Sanders

Showing 101 - 110 of 511 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...52

Forum » Thread

Re: Stream crossing and washing your socks - at the same time :)
On a recent 8 day trip through Marin County, my shoes and socks didn't dry out for two days after crossing the Olema Valley swamp. Even the second pair of socks on top of my pack didn't dry...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Stream crossing and washing your socks - at the same time :)
April 22, 11:44am

Spife?
Did I accidentally invent a new combination spoon and knife - a "spife"? Sort of like a spork, but less useful. Other spifes are available. Maybe safer and more useful, hard to tel...

In GEAR » Yes, you can break a Lexan spoon
April 21, 11:03pm

Re: Micro light
I love genuine Photon Freedom micro lights with adjustable light output, and this custom model ticks even more boxes for me: http://www.dougritter.com/dr_photon.htm - The case is yellow, so y...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » What headlamp do you use?
April 21, 8:46pm

Re: all from
My bad, sorry. Good news: the roads are opening early. Bad news: the roads are opening early in the third year of drought due to lack of snow. Although some of the most popular rivers will be...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Highway 108 open for the season!
April 20, 11:55am

Re: Thanks!
I needed that info for a synthetic winter bag. Sweat collects(condenses on the shell in copious amounts, leaving an "odour" later. If the sweat condenses inside the outer shell fabric,...

In GEAR » Mirazyme works great on sleeping bags!
April 20, 11:49am

Mirazyme works great on sleeping bags!
My favorite WM Megalite sleeping bag was smelling very funky after the last trip. Opened it up and draped it on some patio chairs outside, sprayed diluted McNett Mirazyme on the inside (follow t...

In GEAR » Mirazyme works great on sleeping bags!
April 19, 2:56pm

Re: PIF for Rex
Brian, Thanks for the offer, but I have a couple titanium sporks in my collection. Didn't care for them. I've taken an REI Campware Long Spoon (bought when I was eating out of freeze-...

April 19, 2:19pm

Re: They don't break.
All my 1980-vintage lexan spoons, stamped PERMAWARE, are still going strong. Mine was about 10 years old, and stamped PERMAWARE. So it goes. -- Rex

April 18, 7:51pm

Re: speak of the devil
Stienstra's blog post is for April 28 - of last year! -- Rex

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Highway 108 open for the season!
April 18, 5:49pm

Re: Re: Yes, you can break a Lexan spoon
I had already cut an inch off the handle! I think there is a weight-functionality tradeoff here: - With half a spoon, I take twice as long to eat dinner. Dinner gets cold, so I don't eat ...

April 18, 4:29pm

All Reader Reviews by Rex Sanders

Rex Sanders has posted no reviews.