Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Rex Sanders (Rex) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Central California Coast
About Me Started backpacking with the Boy Scouts in the 1960s, which should have cured me, but friends intervened. Failed PCT thru-hikes in 1976, 1980, and other adventures (whitewater rafting 1987-present) put backpacking on hold for a while.

In 1998 I read Jardine's PCT book and saw the light. I'm not super- ultra- anything, my base weight is about 13 pounds. But I'm back on the trails again.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rex Sanders

Showing 101 - 110 of 522 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...53

Forum » Thread

Marin County 100 mile loop, April 6-13, 2014
From April 6-13 2014, I backpacked a 100 mile loop through Marin County, California. Overall, I had a great time, though some parts were challenging. I started and ended at the north end of the ...

In Post-Trip Reports » Marin County 100 mile loop, April 6-13, 2014
May 04, 1:36pm

Aqua Mira tablets vs drops vs bleach
I've used all three in different settings. Aqua Mira drops have virtually no taste. I accidentally ran a blind taste test with my wife, she didn't even notice. Bleach tastes like chlo...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Aqua Mira tablets v. bleach
May 04, 10:59am

Yosemite prohibits drones
Forget your dreams of drone-delivered milkshakes in the wilderness, or drone-snapped Vine selfies while climbing, in Yosemite National Park: Use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (Drones) Prohibited ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Yosemite prohibits drones
May 03, 11:51pm

Also TT Double Rainbow
Tarptent Double Rainbow is free standing when used with two trekking poles. At 41 oz and $289, it's lighter and cheaper than the TT Stratospire 2. Compared to the other tents mentioned in th...

In GEAR » What is the lightest 2p free standing tent?
May 01, 1:41am

Only 5 ounces added to your feet!
Only 5 ounces added to your feet! If "an ounce on your feet is like a 5 ounces on your back", that's like carrying an extra 25 ounces. UGH! Or you could carry a good, 8 ounce so...

In On the Web » Insole Charger
April 30, 11:21pm

SPOT, PLB, InReach, or ... users - Excellent advice from NPS
Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Park posted this Emergency Locator Device Advisory (PDF, 1 page) with excellent advice for everyone who carries a SPOT, PLB, InReach, or similar device. Read it. No...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » SPOT, PLB, InReach, or ... users - Excellent advice from NPS
April 30, 11:12pm

Re: Training for Backpacking
Thank you. This will improve my own, meager, training efforts, and helps explain why they didn't work as planned. An important principle for me: I can't exercise for the sake of exercise...

In Editor's Roundtable » Training for Backpacking
April 29, 11:23pm

Re: A few questions about HMG packs...
I have an HMG Windrider 2400. I don't think of it as finicky to load, but I don't put oddly shaped items against my back with any soft pack. I pay a little attention to load balancing by pu...

In GEAR » A few questions about HMG packs...
April 29, 9:04am

Southern PCT?
Could hike most or parts of the southern PCT - Mexican border to Kennedy Meadows, maybe farther depending on timing northbound. If you start at the border in early May you'll be behind most of ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » 20-23 Days/Nights to Backpack...
April 23, 9:06pm

Liked it, and I don't eat fish
I liked this book excerpt, and I don't eat fish. Yvon's a good writer, and his "simplicity" and "less gear, more skill" messages are very much in line with BPL core valu...

In Editor's Roundtable » An Introduction to Simple Fly Fishing
April 23, 8:53pm

All Reader Reviews by Rex Sanders

Rex Sanders has posted no reviews.