Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John McAlpine (HairlessApe) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale PNW
About Me I now have my base weight down to 12 pounds. I'm fine with that. Any lighter seems to make for a less comfortable trip. Just turned 50 and looking forward to some epic thru-hikes.
CitySeattle
StateWashington
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John McAlpine

Showing 101 - 110 of 456 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...46

Forum » Thread

Why do we like flat shoes?
So I've been looking for some new shoes for a 500 mile hike this August. Last year a did a similar hike with trail running shoes (NB 910's)and got a single massive blister under the ball o...

In GEAR » Why do we like flat shoes?
April 16, 11:15am

Steel Cut Oatmeal on the Trail
I read this last year here on BPL and used it for 21 days straight last summer. I would put my steel cut oatmeal in a pot, add water, and the lid and go to bed. That would give the oatmeal all ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » healthiest backpacking breakfast?
April 13, 8:51am

Thanks!
Thanks!. That's great warmth for the weight.

In Gear Deals » VaprLoft Quilts - M50/Apex/SevenDS
April 10, 12:31pm

Warmth - Am I getting this right?
I have a Montbell Thermawrap that has exoloft insultaion of 50g/sq meter. So at 28 gram/oz, your 4 oz insulation sheet is approximately 112g/sq meter? I'm just trying to get an idea of how wa...

In Gear Deals » VaprLoft Quilts - M50/Apex/SevenDS
April 10, 11:46am

Very Kind of You
Raising money to feed the homeless is fantastic. I wish you well on your hike. One think I'd like to say is about your timeline. 6 months will have you hiking in snow within the state of W...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Walking 2650 miles to help feed the homeless - Please sponsor us :)
April 09, 4:37pm

Golite Carbo Lite Shoes - 10.5
I thought I'd try these shoes out, but can't find size 10.5 anywhere. Help from anyone with computer search skills are welcome. THANKS

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Golite Carbo Lite Shoes - 10.5
April 09, 12:33pm

Nick....THANKS
Thanks for spending the time to provide food, drinks and rides. I know I really appreciated it from Trail Angels. I'll be doing the 500 miles from Cascade Locks to Manning Park this summer. ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » '12 PCT THRU HIKERS, PLEASE READ!!!
April 05, 9:24am

SOBO Clint
Southbound starting June 15th.....that'll be tough. I live in Seattle and ski every weekend. This year will be the same if not worse than last year with regards to total amount of snowfall. ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » '12 PCT THRU HIKERS, PLEASE READ!!!
April 05, 9:17am

EXOS 58
I just ran downstairs to take a look at mine... Exos 58 600 - 700 miles 15 - 25 lbs. I don't see a single flaw in the back mesh where it meets the frame. Great pack!

In GEAR » Osprey packs back mesh durability
April 03, 12:48pm

Montrail AT PLus on Steepandcheap for $50.
PCT........2:22 PM

In Gear Deals » Montrail AT PLus on Steepandcheap for $50.
March 29, 3:20pm

All Reader Reviews by John McAlpine

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

LightHeart Gear Cuben Solo W/Awning
I picked up this tent for several reasons. I wanted a light tent; I wanted it to be waterproof right out of the bag; I wanted room inside for me and all my gear; I wanted a dry entry; I wanted to use...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
October 18, 12:09pm

Kahtoola Microspikes Microspikes
I've been using these little brother crampons over the winter and have found them to be perfect. I've used them on non-glacier snow fields up to 12,200 feet and they have not failed once. The...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 02, 2:43pm

Osprey Exos 58
I'm 47 and been hiking on and off for 35 years. I've gone through many packs and thought it was time to try a lighter pack. Sure this pack isnt ultra light, but have you tried those things?....

In Backpacks - External Frame
July 16, 10:59am