BPL Community Profile

Chris Townsend (Christownsend) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Cairngorms National Park
About Me outdoor writer and photographer, author of many books & articles on backpacking, hill walking and ski touring. Very keen on long distance walks and wilderness. Hikes: PCT (1982), CDT (1985), length of the Canadian Rockies, Yukon end to end, Arizona Trail, length of Norway and Sweden, round of the Munros and Tops, Land's End to John O'Groats and many shorter (under 800 miles) hikes.
CityGrantown-on-Spey
CountryScotland
My Website URLhttp://www.christownsendoutdoors.co.uk

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Chris Townsend

Showing 101 - 110 of 414 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...42

Forum » Thread

Advice from 1974.
"I knew my tent would leak, I knew I'd be hiking wet and I knew my pack would be heavy" The last was partly true for me but not the first two. In 1974 I had a Robert Saunders two s...

In GEAR » Advice from 1974
December 06, 3:30pm

Advice from 1974
Back in '74 when I was still a novice backpacker in cool weather I wore a cotton string vest with a thin lambswool sweater over it and then, as necessary, a wool/acrylic shirt, a thick wool swe...

In GEAR » Advice from 1974
December 06, 12:15pm

Lenses for NEX 5
Ed, so far there are only three lenses for the NEX 5 - 16mm, 18-55mm and 18-200mm. I have the 18-55, as that's the zoom range I used most on the Canon 450D. On the PNT last summer I only carrie...

In Photography » Hogan Goes Mirrorless
December 05, 11:55am

Re: Oh, getting close - camera choice
Dirk, I've always carried SLRs - film and then digital. I carry one SLR with a mid-range zoom in a padded case slung across my body so it rests above my hip. I've carried a camera like this...

December 05, 9:13am

Cold Weather Clothing
The Wintergreen Northernwear shells are basically heavy-duty windshells - nylon with DWR. They certainly should breathe better than a membrane or coated fabric. I've used Paramo shells in wi...

In GEAR » Cold Weather Clothing
December 04, 6:18pm

Hogan Goes Mirrorless
Interesting feature. I handled all these cameras and chose the Sony NEX 5 because of the good grip, good dynamic range, positionable LCD, tiny body size and weight and APS-C DSLR image quality. I&#...

December 03, 12:36pm

Windshirts under rain jackets
As mentioned I have written about and recommended wearing a windshirt under a rain jacket. Last summer on the Pacific Northwest Trail I had nine continuous days of wet weather in the Cascades. I wo...

In GEAR » Lightweight shell pants and windshirts
November 29, 7:23am

Pacific North West Trail
Have a look at the forum on http://www.pnt.org. Masses of info there. I hiked the PNT this summer and found much useful info on changes to the route on the PNT forum.

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Pacific North West Trail
November 22, 1:20pm

Android phone for tracking in romote areas
I used an Android phone on the Pacific Northwest Trail last summer and the GPS worked fine in airplane mode, which I was in most of the time.

In GEAR » Android phone for tracking in romote areas
November 20, 12:09pm

Digital or film
I must say I've taken the opposite view to Ryan! I shot film for 25 years and had thousands of images published. I started using digital compacts in 2000 and a digital DSLR in 2004. By 2006 I&#...

In Photography » Have some cameras picked, help me choose one
November 19, 10:41am

All Reader Reviews by Chris Townsend

Chris Townsend has posted no reviews.