BPL Community Profile

Matthew Swierkowski (Berserker) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Southeast
About Me I've been backpacking for several years, and am not an ultralight guy...I'm probably teetering on the line between light weight and traditional. I normally carry 25 - 35 lbs (total weight including food and water). I typically go on 5 - 6 trips a year consisting of weekend trips with a longer (1 - 2 weeks) one mixed in there. I have been section hiking the AT since late '07, and am a quarter of the way through it. Other than the AT and local hikes I have also hiked in the Sierras and Southern Utah.
StateVA
My PDF Gear ListTypical Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Matthew Swierkowski

Showing 101 - 110 of 141 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Forum » Thread

Re: How do You Train?
I'd say that I normally just try to keep a generally good level of fitness by walking, inline skating and weight training. I used to cycle regularly too, but a prostate injury (from cycling) h...

In Philosophy & Technique » How do You Train?
November 14, 10:43am

Some of us traditional guys like you Ul'ers
Hey, I just thought I'd jump in and say that not all non-UL backpackers think you guys are "insane" as the one poster put it. I've been hanging around here for over a year cause ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Preparedness view of ultralight?
November 12, 11:32am

Re: Light weight shoes and my knee injury
As others have already pointed out, I think it may potentially be a conditioning problem. I doubt your footwear had anything to do with it. I wear boots (Asolo Fugitives at the moment) when I hik...

In GEAR » Light weight shoes and my knee injury
November 09, 11:28am

Re: Vapor Trail Weights?
I have a large (long) VT I bought a couple of years ago that is 41.16 oz (2 lbs 9 oz). The spec weight at the time was 2 lbs. I would agree that it was a little off. I don't know what the ...

In GEAR » Vapor Trail Weights?
October 09, 10:26am

Re: Weight training...
I'm also a tall fairly skinny dude, and I weight train. I don't train for mass (I used to when I was younger), but rather to just tone and strenghten. I am 34 and have had recurring issue...

In Philosophy & Technique » Weight training...
October 05, 11:52am

Re: Bear Cannisters: How to carry them
This probably won't help much, but I carry mine horizontally at the top of my McHale Popcan pack. The pack is desinged wider at the top specifically for this. I have a Bearikade Weekender, ...

In GEAR » Bear Cannisters: How to carry them
October 03, 10:57am

Re: really, people wear rain pants?
Yeah, you make a good point that I failed to mention. I carry rain pants only when it is cold, and typically only wear them in camp. If it's cold enough for me to wear them without overheatin...

In GEAR » Which Rain Pants???
September 16, 10:18am

Re: How do you do it?
I have the same scale as Michael Davis. got it for $25 from Office Depot a few years ago. To measure things that don't fit I use various techniques. The one that seems to work the best is ...

In GEAR » Scales?
September 14, 10:58am

Precips
I have precips and am not looking. I like them and haven't seen anything that looks like a decent upgrade.

In GEAR » Which Rain Pants???
September 14, 10:50am

Updated Versions
My guess is because Henry is constantly putting out new models and updating existing ones. I have 2 tarptents for the sole reason that I bought one (Squall), and Henry came out with another model ...

In GEAR » Why so many used Tarptents?
August 15, 11:27am

All Reader Reviews by Matthew Swierkowski

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Princeton Tec EOS
I’ve been using this headlamp (both the original and newer version) for years. The reviewers above pretty much covered everything with this headlamp, so I am not going to repeat all that. It’s light...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
March 02, 10:52am

Hilleberg Akto
I have used this tent many nights over the last few years. It has been my main inclement weather/winter tent, so it typically sees the worst weather I go out in. Well, let’s get right into this. ...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
March 02, 10:50am

Tarptent Squall
I have been using this tent off and on for a few years now, and it has served me well. I use it as a solo tent. I have the original version in sil-nylon (the pre-Squall II version). I use trekking ...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
March 02, 10:49am

Western Mountaineering Caribou
Since I bought this bag in 2004 (I think), this has probably been one of my most used pieces of gear. Being someone that does sound engineering on the side (as a hobby of sorts), I always feel that I...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
March 02, 10:47am