BPL Community Profile

Andy F (AndyF) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Andy F hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Andy F has not added a biography yet.
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListWet-cold winter

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Andy F

Showing 101 - 110 of 1162 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...117

Forum » Thread

Re: Good base layer gloves?
If you want wool, check out the US military surplus wool liners. They come in several sizes. XL is around a 5, but they also have a 6.

In GEAR » Good base layer gloves?
December 27, 7:17pm

Re: Trail Runners and Snow
Down to 15F or so I use GoreTex socks, mesh trail runners, thick wool socks, and polypro liners. Sometimes I add oven bags over the liners to serve as vapor barriers. It works ok, but the shoes soa...

In GEAR » Trail Runners and Snow
December 19, 10:52am

Re: 8# base weight high sierra gear list. critiques?
My Gorilla (2010 or so model) is much more comfortable with the stay even with a low pack weight. I would add: compass map whistle backup fire source

In Gear Lists » 8# base weight high sierra gear list. critiques?
December 17, 6:39pm

compass
Ok, that guide counts as a map. A compass is one of those things you don't need until you need it. ;)

In Gear Lists » northbound AT gear list
December 17, 2:41pm

Re: northbound AT gear list
I would add: compass map whistle (plastic pealess is best) backup fire source (another lighter, firesteel, or matches) sunglasses patch kit for sleeping pad I've used Esbit for the l...

In Gear Lists » northbound AT gear list
December 17, 9:22am

Re: Winter hiking and perspiration
"If I broke a leg, and had to stay on the mountain until rescued, that wetted cap would have frozen quickly." Slap the hat against your leg a few times. It'll seem very dry and war...

In GEAR » Winter hiking and perspiration
December 16, 9:25am

leather gloves
I like leather glove shells too for durability and using around the fire. I buy the Wells-Lamont insulated gloves and cut out the liner. I'm currently using the pigskin model. I use military su...

In GEAR » Best DURABLE glove?
December 13, 2:17pm

Re: 0F Bags
Petra, A 0F 650 fill bag will keep you as warm as an 800 fill bag. The difference is just in weight and feel of the bag. An 800 bag will be maybe a pound lighter, and it will compress easier and...

In GEAR » 0F Sleeping Bags
December 12, 12:29pm

re: dealing with wood fires and preventing eye irritation
- Pay attention to wind direction. ;) - Hardwoods generally smoke less than softwoods. (Resin content is a factor too.) - Dry wood smokes less than wet wood. - The more efficient a stove i...

In GEAR » Goggles with closed cell foam for dealing with wood fires and preventing eye irritation
December 08, 8:50pm

Re: Who in So Cal is going out this COLD weekend?
"Saturday High 37F, Low 29F ... SoCal peeps, forecast this weekend is for arctic chilly Willy weather." ROFL!

In Winter Hiking » Who in So Cal is going out this COLD weekend?
December 06, 10:50pm

All Reader Reviews by Andy F

Andy F has posted no reviews.