Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Brad Groves (4quietwoods) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Michigan
About Me Mostly longer trips without resupply, in what usually seems to be cold and wet conditions. Over two decades of backcountry travel including backpacking and canoe tripping. I consider Marquette to be my home, but I currently live down-state. Many years as a buyer in specialty outdoor retail.
My PDF Gear Listalways changing

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brad Groves

Showing 101 - 110 of 1559 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ...156

Forum » Thread

Re: keeping things dry
A system of dry bags is the most foolproof way to ensure dry gear. (Drawstring bags don't seal; you want rolltop dry bags.) Depending on season & sleeping bag (if it's winter I have ...

In GEAR » keeping things dry
November 11, 11:07am

Re: Exped Downmat 7 or 9?
There's basically no way you could add 4 ounces to your pad & get R-2, so I'd say the DM9 is "cheap weight" & well worth the slight weight difference. Even if you added a ...

In GEAR » Exped Downmat 7 or 9?
November 11, 10:45am

Re: Need baffle help
I like to space the baffles a little tighter, about 5" between them. 6" would probably be fine. If you're shooting for 3" of loft, then you probably want to cut a 3" stri...

In Make Your Own Gear » Need baffle help
November 09, 6:03pm

Concepts
I was communicating a concept and using those easily calculated figures as points of illustration... I can't say that in the course of presenting an idea I'm too distraught over being 0.39o...

In GEAR » New sleeping bag
November 09, 5:50pm

Re: Re: Re: summerlite
It did show a difference of 3.6 degrees. However, most people who have used a variety of bags, including Western, have found that the WM bags are closest to their ratings. Anecdotally, my Antelope ...

November 09, 1:13pm

Re: summerlite
Some specs to consider: MB Super Spiral DH#3 650 fill- $200 12oz fill (9oz 850equiv.) - 1#15oz Shoulder girth to 75" MB UL Super Spiral DH#3 800 fill- $279 10oz fill (9.4oz 850equiv...

November 09, 10:34am

Re: Overfill Summerlite?
It is not a standard option, & they strongly discourage Summerlite overfills. I'm a WM dealer; they've told me that they have done overfills, but it's somewhere around an ounce of d...

In GEAR » Overfill Summerlite?
November 09, 9:09am

Re: Winter hiking FAQ?
First step: depending on your living situation, set up in your yard (or apartment porch, etc) and sleep out there a few times in cold weather to see if your two bags will work. If you have a weeken...

In Winter Hiking » Winter hiking FAQ?
November 09, 9:01am

Re: Re: Re: Bow Drill Fires!
Thanks for all the tips, guys! I could definitely stand to rough up the bottom of the drill, it's been rounded almost perfectly smooth. Hope to have some time in the next week to play with it s...

In Philosophy & Technique » Bow Drill Fires!
November 08, 3:11pm

Re: New sleeping bag
I'd go Summerlite (no surprise to many). Fully baffled & able to shift the down, which I do occasionally find myself doing. I also really like the fact that it's a full-length zip; most...

November 08, 2:25pm

All Reader Reviews by Brad Groves

Brad Groves has posted no reviews.