Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 11 - 20 of 1668 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...167

Forum » Thread

Aluminized Cuben vs DP VS75 and Others
Executive Summary Nathan Meyerson of Cascade Craftworks asked me to analyze a new reflective fabric (DP VS75) he was considering offering as an option to aluminized Cuben V3. I had previously ...

In GEAR » Aluminized Cuben vs DP VS75 and Others
June 22, 11:59pm

Solar Cell Wire Gauge
Ryan, What are your current design's volts, amps, and total wiring distance? See http://www.freesunpower.com/wire_calc.php

In Make Your Own Gear » Experiments in ultralight solar
May 18, 3:52pm

Re: The Tullies-Puncture resistance for Alpacka
I have been using Alpacka Packrafts since 2004. I subject them to much abuse. I had a 1" slit puncture going through the Young's Creek canyon in the Bob. I put a piece of Tenacious Tape ...

In Packrafting » The Tullies-Puncture resistance for Alpacka
May 13, 1:16am

Re: Experiments in ultralight solar
Ryan, Excellent work; thank you for sharing. You solicited help from the community relative to more efficient voltage USB combinations. The lightest solar charger weight is secondary to actually...

In Make Your Own Gear » Experiments in ultralight solar
May 12, 11:52pm

Re: Zpacks not durable?
Brian, I bought a pair of their WPB mittens using their newest nylon/Cuben. The palms wore through and started to leak in one day's use with trekking poles.

In GEAR » Best lightweight rain jacket (sub 8-9 oz): Montbell Versalite, OR Helium II, Marmot Mica & Essence, MH Superlight Plasmic or other?
May 06, 10:16am

Re: The math and the practice
Gary, Assuming a good fit, these will be equivalent warmth garments (as perceived by the average user). There are feature and efficiency trade-offs that were discussed; thus, this information wa...

In GEAR » I'm ashamed of you, BPL'ers
May 05, 11:02pm

Re: Tea filter?
Gary, I never tested a tea filter but I did test a large number of paper coffee filters. See HERE

In GEAR » The new king of windshirts (by an unlikely candidate)
May 05, 10:08pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: The new king of windshirts (by an unlikely candidate)
Justin, Yes, I have seen that. It occurs with very high quality weaves that have many very small uniform size pores versus fewer irregular sized pores. You can easily quantify this phenomeno...

May 05, 10:03pm

Re: Re: The new king of windshirts (by an unlikely candidate)
Gary said, "Somehow it manages to breathe like fleece, but blocks the wind." An optimal windshirt design has a CFM of about 42.5 at the crossover point for the maximum water vapor tran...

May 05, 9:15pm

Re: Re: I'm ashamed of you, BPL'ers
Besides me, I think that Prolite also confused the two Arc'teryx Cerium models. The fill weight for the Arc'teryx Cerium SL Down is not 3 oz but, 1.8 oz. See:http://www.backcountry.com/a...

In GEAR » I'm ashamed of you, BPL'ers
May 05, 8:18pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm