Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 11 - 20 of 1580 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...158

Forum » Thread

Re: Down bag in SE Alaska?
http://bucktrack.com/Alaska_Survival_Journal.html Camping in a SE AK rain forest for 70 days, with a non-DWR down sleeping bag, from 6/30/14 - 9/8/14 - absolutely no problems using down insulati...

In GEAR » Down bag in SE Alaska?
October 05, 1:12pm

Re: Re: New Zpacks hooded windshirt
The Pertex GL fabric sample I tested was .53 CFM. See Here for my post entitled, "Re: how breathable a wind shell is on 11/26/2012 13:08:41 MST".

In GEAR » New Zpacks hooded windshirt
September 29, 3:25pm

Re: Re: Breathability, CFM and windshirts?
Ryan, I haven't tested Nobull 1. The posts dealing with Nobull 1 down leakage indicate that it is not a low air permeability fabric. You normally don't see any down leakage in the fabric...

In GEAR » Breathability, CFM and windshirts?
September 20, 12:52pm

Re: Breathability, CFM and windshirts?
Brett, Activity AND environmental factors determine a garment's moisture transport (air permeability) requirements. Activity is most commonly defined in METS. See http://onlinelibrary.wi...

In GEAR » Breathability, CFM and windshirts?
September 20, 12:28pm

1/2 of conventional eVent for the ZPacks Challenger Raingear air permeability
Ryan said, " I’ve experienced their effective breathability"..."am happy to verify its excellent breathability in a wider range of conditions than what I’ve experienced with most...

In Editor's Roundtable » Flash Reviews (No. 1): ZPacks Challenger Raingear, JepPaks Custom Packs, Zebralight H52Fw Headlamp
September 18, 10:02pm

Re: Re: Re: Want a FREE CCF Sleeping Pad?
Greg, You asked, "...how would a vacuum influence the conduction of heat through a foam?" The foam is a skeleton with the gas (air) in the void spaces providing most of the insulati...

In Gear Deals » Want a FREE CCF Sleeping Pad?
September 15, 9:44pm

Re: Sucka...
1" of PU foam averages an R-Value of 4.3; so, 1/2" would be 2.15.

September 15, 4:07pm

Re: Want a FREE CCF Sleeping Pad?
A 1" pad with an R-Value 21 is only achievable in a vacuum. There is an old saying about a ? being born every minute. The chance of a penalty for an inaccurate spec is what?

September 15, 3:53pm

Re: Re: Re: Hunting clothing
The best camo pattern hunting outerwear value is the Wild Things Tactical 1.0 Multi-cam wind-shirt/wind-pants. They are 70 denier EPIC; I tested them at 25.5 CFM and 422 mm H2O (similar breathabil...

In GEAR » Hunting clothing
September 10, 3:15pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Emissivity of alumized Cuben, Silnylon
Jerry, I built a new emissivity apparatus and retested the samples. The updated results are posted Here.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Emissivity of alumized Cuben, Silnylon
August 20, 9:37pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm