Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 11 - 20 of 1660 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...166

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: The new king of windshirts (by an unlikely candidate)
Gary said, "Somehow it manages to breathe like fleece, but blocks the wind." An optimal windshirt design has a CFM of about 42.5 at the crossover point for the maximum water vapor tran...

In GEAR » The new king of windshirts (by an unlikely candidate)
May 05, 9:15pm

Re: Re: I'm ashamed of you, BPL'ers
Besides me, I think that Prolite also confused the two Arc'teryx Cerium models. The fill weight for the Arc'teryx Cerium SL Down is not 3 oz but, 1.8 oz. See:http://www.backcountry.com/a...

In GEAR » I'm ashamed of you, BPL'ers
May 05, 8:18pm

Re: I'm ashamed of you, BPL'ers
...and Demosthenes is ashamed of you Gary. Gary says, "At 5.35oz medium, with more down than Montbell ExLight... this jacket IS way warmer than Exlight and Ghost Whisperer – just compared...

In GEAR » I'm ashamed of you, BPL'ers
May 05, 7:16pm

Re: amazing
Gary, If you think you found a gem, compare your "when new" number after wet flexing through field use or artificial aging. Many fabric gems rapidly loose their luster with use.

In Make Your Own Gear » Sharing the failures as well :) HH machine
May 02, 1:07am

Re: Anyone know a good sea kayaking and canoeing forum?
EJ, For paddling in the SF Bay Area, there are two clubs with active forums, group paddles, and rescue practices. For the mid-peninsula and north to Marin area, check out the Bay Area Sea Kayake...

In Packrafting » Anyone know a good sea kayaking and canoeing forum?
April 29, 9:29am

Re: Re: Re: degradation
Stephen, I think Polartec Alpha will recover its loft fully from vigorous shaking or tumbling in a dryer. I have not tested the various Polartec Alpha variants. Regarding classic fleece, I te...

In GEAR » Microfleece 100
April 27, 11:00pm

Re: DWR down garments
Eric, DWR down does appear to be better value than synthetics do to rapid synthetic degradation. The big question for me is WHICH DWR down is best. There have international (IDFB) standards for ...

In GEAR » Microfleece 100
April 27, 10:56pm

Re: Information about fabrics
Nice work by Brian but he is incorrect on page 10 where he says, "There are, however, no extended testing methods or data available for the performance of coated textiles past the point of per...

In On the Web » Information about fabrics
April 26, 9:38pm

Re: Solo across the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Brooks Range, Alaska
Epic adventure combined with GREAT story telling; thank you!

In Editor's Roundtable » Solo across the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Brooks Range, Alaska
April 22, 12:28pm

Re: Uodate Re: Confusing info about Cap 4 vs R1
Hk, I lab tested them both on a guarded hot plate; the Cap 4 = .144 Iclo and the R1 = .290 Iclo. In laymen's terms, the R1 = ~2x the warmth of the Cap 4.

In GEAR » Confusing info about Cap 4 vs R1
April 16, 8:56pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm