BPL Community Profile

Keith Selbo (herman666) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Northern Virginia
About Me I've been a camper all my life. BK: (before kids) the wife and I would throw our bikes and a little wheeled trunk in the back of the plane and head for the boonies just about every weekend. AK: Camping was a rarity, but we took day hikes with the kids. Now the kids are on their own and we've discovered lightweight backpacking. Been doing it for three years. Base pack weight is 14lb and decreasing. Tent is now a Hennessy Hyperlight and I've replaced the Miniworks with a Sawyer.

People in down don't frown.
CityManassas
StateVA
CountryUS
My PDF Gear ListThree Season Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Keith Selbo

Showing 11 - 20 of 485 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...49

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: my input
"The weights of the canisters are assumed fixed. The weights of the stoves are variable, which is what needs to be compared. Why would you bring up alcohol when this is a canister stover r...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Integrated Canister Fuel Cooking Systems State of the Market Report 2011: Part 1 – Overview and Performance Evaluation
September 22, 10:59am

my input
Roger is certainly correct in saying the laws of physics can't be violated. An automatic pressure regulator is a convenience. With a good one, the same valve setting will put out the same heat...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Integrated Canister Fuel Cooking Systems State of the Market Report 2011: Part 1 – Overview and Performance Evaluation
September 22, 7:33am

Information
I didn't find this article very informative. More platitudes than substance.

In Editor's Roundtable » Guidelines for Grizzly Country
September 14, 6:19am

Hey! This is BPL!
What does stinking have to do with ultralight? I'd prefer this guy sticks to useful tips, and not subject us to his personal choice to let himself go when he's on the trail.

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Tip of the Week
September 08, 7:57pm

Toe protection
Am I the only person concerned about toe protection? In my experience, some shoes/boots have a hard shell over the toe, some just an extra layer of fabric and some not even that. I'd apprecia...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Mid-Height Trail Shoes State of the Market Report 2011
September 02, 11:43am

Not that many do it.
I don't think that a huge fraction of visitors commit these offences, but there are sooo many visitors to the CA parks that in absolute numbers it's more than the land can bear. When I hik...

In Post-Trip Reports » trash, hidden crap , and tp everywhere on JMT.
August 24, 9:38am

It will be an improvement, but you'll still get convection.
If you throw in some leaves or pine needles to break up the air flow, I think your setup would work pretty well.

In Hammocks » A question about air inflated insulation and hammocks
August 23, 9:26am

Re: Shower Cap
Anyone else do this? That's exactly what I do. I haven't worn my hat in winds blowing hard enough to give me that problem, but if that rarity happens, I'll just put my hood on.

In Multiple Use Gear » the lowly shower cap
August 18, 8:53am

Re: Re: OK, what does collapsible mean?
"I believe that my use of "collapsible" and "adjustable" are inline with BPL definitions." Where are the BPL definitions whereof you speak? By the way, I wasn'...

In Editor's Roundtable » Fizan Compact Trekking Poles Review
August 17, 10:07am

the lowly shower cap
I purchased one to go over the ventilated portion of my broad brimmed hat when it's raining. Since then, I've used it to line my pot cozy for use as a sink and as a water collection tool. ...

In Multiple Use Gear » the lowly shower cap
August 15, 6:58am

All Reader Reviews by Keith Selbo

Showing 1 - 10 of 31 | Page: 1 2 3 4

Review

Category

zpacks Arc Blast 52 liter
This pack has been so comfortable that I considered downgrading my other pack reviews to allow valid comparisons. Zpacks has made some changes to the Arc blast since I bought mine last year. I'll...

In Backpacks - External Frame
November 25, 12:24pm

Osprey Exos 58
I bought this pack for the loads imposed by longer hikes which exceed the comfort capacity of my GG Mariposa. The decision to buy was a long time coming because the 58 weighs a pound and two ounces mo...

In Backpacks - External Frame
March 28, 1:43pm

Hennessy CAT CAPE PONCHO RAINFLY
Product: CAT CAPE PONCHO RAINFLY Manufacturer: Hennessy Hammocks Weight: 9 oz. Price: $89 This Rain fly replaces the stock fly on a number of Hennessy models including the Hyperlight Backpack...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
October 09, 1:04pm

Hennessy Hammock Asym
I reviewed the hyperlight backpacker elsewhere, but I wanted to comment on the review above that said it's necessary to tighten the ropes after lying in the hammock. This hasn't been my exp...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
October 09, 12:41pm

SteriPen Adventurer
Price: $90 Weight: 3.6 oz Capacity: 50 l. per set of CR12...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
May 20, 11:28am

Bearikade Expedition
First, I'll round out the product info of the first review with the dimensions: 9" dia. by 14". Pricey is an understatement. I surveyed bear canisters (see below) and this canister is ...

In Miscellaneous Products
May 05, 9:57am

Western Mountaineering Flight Jacket
The first reviewer in this thread summed up just about everything pretty well. I'd have opted to pay the fraction of an ounce weight penalty for a higher collar to avoid the inconvenience of usin...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
January 22, 8:43am

Hennessy Hammocks lightweight hammock shelters
For starters, they have some fantastic promotions. I got a Scout model free with my Hyperlight Backpacker. I gave it my daughter and she loves it. When I bought a Hyperlight for my wife, another ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
January 18, 11:01am

Backcountrygear.com
When the wrong Western Mountaineering jacket model arrived (They sent me a Flash when I'd ordered a Flight) they overnighted me the Flight jacket and a return label for the Flash. I like a compan...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
January 18, 10:51am

Remington RMHL2AAA-B
Serious Competition For the EOS Manufacturer's Specifications ...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
January 07, 9:20pm