Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Erik G (fox212) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale THE Bay Area :)
About Me I've been backpacking a long time, and started trying to go ultralight over the past year or so. I'm always trying to refine my gear list to improve comfort and enjoyment while also reducing weight, volume, and number of items carried. I love the simplicity of a minimal kit. I also enjoy making and modifying my own gear.
CityDanville
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear List3-Season Gear list as of 09-2013

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Erik G

Showing 11 - 20 of 109 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Forum » Thread

Awesome!
Fantastic work! It looks really, really nice. Thank you for keeping us all updated on your progress, lots of great info. Can't wait to see this beast in action!

In Make Your Own Gear » myog mountaineering cuben tunnel tent?
February 17, 9:55am

Re: looks nice
Thanks, Rob. Very true about this design. Mine differs only slightly from some of the shelters available from various manufacturers. For one reason or another, none of the offerings checked all ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Good material for MYOG cuben tent prototype
February 12, 5:28pm

E-Wing
FYI, the E-wing is 16oz (unless MSR had an older, MUCH lighter model). I think it would work just fine as an emergency shelter. I used one as my primary shelter for a couple of years. Still have...

In Philosophy & Technique » MSR e-wing as emergency shelter
February 06, 3:25pm

Which Tape?
Just want to say I love the level of gear-geekery on this site...using CAD, FEA, etc for MYOG tarps and tents. Excellent. :) What tape should I use for my prototype? I'm going to use 3M 9482...

February 05, 3:55pm

Re: Re: Good material for MYOG cuben tent prototype
Thanks, Ryan. I'm confident that I can avoid any sewing. The area you mentioned will be highly reinforced. Plus, I can't sew to save my life! :)

February 04, 5:28pm

Re: Re: Re: modeling software
Roger, I haven't played with SW2015 at all yet, so I haven't used the new feature. I'm sure you're right: Not *all* surfaces can be flattened (I'll edit my post above to corr...

February 04, 3:09pm

Re: modeling software
I used SolidWorks 2013 to create the model in the image above. I can go into further detail on specifically how I made the curved panels if anyone wants it. The curves are just circular arcs, not t...

February 04, 12:27pm

Cool
Very nice work. Pump filters like this can be highly beneficial as mentioned above. I must say, this looks and works a lot like the MSR Hyperflow. Similar hollow fiber filter technology, similar...

In Make Your Own Gear » Pump Filter Using Sawyer Mini
February 03, 9:15am

Thanks for the suggestions!
Forgot to watch this thread, so I am just now seeing these responses. Whoops! Good idea on the Mylar. Sharon, thank you for the offer. One of my panels is going to require the full 54" w...

February 02, 5:17pm

SHR vs JMT
I agree that the SHR is another beast entirely from the JMT. Certainly didn't mean to imply otherwise (or that I could hike the SHR at 15-20 miles per day!). Covering distance is almost ne...

In Pre-Trip Planning » JMT Alternatives
January 30, 6:10pm

All Reader Reviews by Erik G

Erik G has posted no reviews.