Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Doug Smith (Jedi5150) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Central CA
About Me LEO K9 handler, with SAR, EMS background.
StateCalifornia

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Doug Smith

Showing 11 - 20 of 353 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...36

Forum » Thread

Re: DM?
Thanks for moving it mods! Dave T, I can't find the video. Do you have a link to it? Like I said, I don't like to armchair quarterback, but I'd be happy to watch it and give some ...

In Chaff » Cops will face charges for killing wilderness backpacker.
January 13, 10:54pm

K9
"I saw the film. Why didn't they use the dogs to take him down? Isnt that what they are trained to do? I was shocked to see them shoot the man when they had dogs right there. Two dogs coul...

January 13, 9:53pm

Re: wilderness backpacker?
Warning: Wall of text inbound I've sat silently for as long as I could (admittedly not very long haha). I've been very impressed by the level-headedness of the majority of responses so ...

January 13, 8:41pm

Iceberg Lake
Larry, thanks for the trip report and the excellent photos! I attempted that same trip in reverse this past September, but my heavy pack-weight got the better of me and I only made it to Minaret L...

In Post-Trip Reports » Ediza and lakes of the Ritter Range, Sierra Nevada, California
January 13, 1:24pm

view
This is the kind of thing that makes me wish I didn't have vision problems. My vision is quite bad, and I wear rigid gas-permeable contact lenses. Whether I had a tent or a tarp with a view, ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » do tarps really open yourself up to the outdoors?
January 13, 1:15pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: RE: What our gear says about us...
You might be right, Billy, and I know we have members who have been to third world countries here who can answer for certain. But I keep remembering the video series with Charly Boorman and Ewan M...

In GEAR » What our gear says about us...
January 12, 11:59pm

Re: Re: RE: What our gear says about us...
"Not sure what mine says about me... I have literally dozens of jackets: puffies, synthetics, fleeces, LOVE 'EM!...and I live in one of the hottest places on earth. Seriously." ...

January 12, 11:29pm

Re: Re: Packing your hopes
"So you pack your fear of a normal trip." If that's a normal trip for you, we've got to start backpacking together! ;-)

January 12, 12:49pm

Packing your hopes
This has been a much more fun thread than I thought it would be. A few of the responses have been priceless. Like Kat, I have never been a "packing your fears" person either. In fact...

January 12, 1:06am

Esbit
So far I have everything but an alcohol stove. I have a couple of the MSR whisperlites that can run on all kinds of fuel (handy for my motorcycle trips because I can run them on 91 octane), two Es...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » I'm converted to light wieght
January 10, 12:12pm

All Reader Reviews by Doug Smith

Doug Smith has posted no reviews.