Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 10 of 1637 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...164

Forum » Thread

Resource Allocation of Long-term water usage in California
J Dos, I did a Google search for "ca water use" and then looked at the images. The agriculture % was listed as 77% in the first graphic source. Every following image source provided a ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Sierra Snowpack 2015
March 29, 6:29pm

Re: "Luke's UltraLite Argon CS90 Wind Shell Feedback"
See the following link for my Argon fabric tests: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=100458 See the following for my Rab Alpine ...

In GEAR » Luke's UltraLite Argon CS90 Wind Shell Feedback
March 28, 8:25am

Question for Eric, Jeffry, & Monte only: My "wind shirt" rant...
Gentleman, Please answer this question: What function(s) do you think a wind shirt, like the 2012 Houdini, provides and what do you currently use to address the function(s) including the weight(...

In Multiple Use Gear » My "wind shirt" rant...
March 24, 1:50am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Andrew Skurka - Core Clothing
Jack, Cubic Feet per Minute which is the imperial measure of air permeability.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Andrew Skurka - Core Clothing
March 23, 5:28pm

Re: Re: Re: Andrew Skurka - Core Clothing
Jennifer, His Core Clothing Go Suit — Item 3: Bug Shirt is an arbitrary name for functionally equivalent to a windshirt. I tested his recommended Ex Officio bug shirt at 62 CFM.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Andrew Skurka - Core Clothing
March 23, 3:37pm

Re: Re: Chameece - The 3 Classes of Insulation Generally Have Well Defined Thermal Efficiency Ranges
Jerry, Minor point but, the down Anorak, shown on the charts, was made by Montbell rather than Patagonia. I acquired 4 brand new Rab Xenon hoodies for testing. One garment is a reference garm...

In GEAR » Microfleece 100
March 23, 12:39pm

Re: Double fleece
John, We can use Polartec's specs to answer your LowAlpine question. Your description indicates the garment is a Polartec 300 style garment; style 7593/7594; 203 CFM; and 1.32 clo. Please no...

March 23, 12:15pm

Re: Re: Chameece - The 3 Classes of Insulation Generally Have Well Defined Thermal Efficiency Ranges
Justin, I measured a 27% minimum increase by placing a windshirt over the ECWCS Polartec Pro (300 weight).

March 23, 2:06am

Chameece - The 3 Classes of Insulation Generally Have Well Defined Thermal Efficiency Ranges
Andrew Skurka posted an article to his blog recently where he best summed up the most important criteria for evaluating UL backpacking insulation: "My sole consideration in an insulated garm...

March 23, 1:08am

Re: A Diablo Loop Hike: 58 parks in 11 Days
Amy, Thank you for posting another very informative trip report. As a Bay Area resident, your adventures always get filed in my "to-do" list. Please keep up your exploration of this area!

In Post-Trip Reports » A Diablo Loop Hike: 58 parks in 11 Days
March 20, 7:45pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm