Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

David Moreno (nerrek2000) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale North East Ohio
About Me I'm an ARMY Veteran of 13.5 years. I spent the years mostly in combat oriented jobs, mainly Infantry, which gave me a chance to see the world. That was my introduction to backpacking of a sort. Through my Military career, I backpacked more than 10,000 miles. Now I go simply because I love it. I also mountain bike, rock climb, kayak, and do nature photography. I wouldn't call my self an ultra-lighter per say, but my base weight is just below 12 lbs.
CountryUnited States

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Moreno

Showing 1 - 10 of 134 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Forum » Thread

Re: "MSR Guardian - Self Cleaning Water Filter" $349 MSRP 17 oz

In GEAR » MSR Guardian - Self Cleaning Water Filter
September 30, 3:35am

Re: "New water filter!"
Neat idea, but it's very expensive and heavy though. At $350 and 17 ounces, there are definitely cheaper and lighter options out there, and way less expensive on your immediate pocket spending....

In GEAR » New water filter!
September 30, 2:36am

Re: Rock Climbing Shoe for Weak Foot?
When I started climbing in the late 90's I met a guy who had chronic pain in the ball of his foot. It was based on a stress fracture that had never quite healed right. He'd tried everything...

In GEAR » Rock Climbing Shoe for Weak Foot?
September 17, 11:11pm

Also: Any pop bottle.
I'll add an other recommendation for pop bottles. I've tried the thinner walled water bottles, and have twice had issues with leaks because the thin wall got punctured. I'm X-ARMY and a...

In GEAR » Alky stove fuel container?
September 17, 9:14pm

Re: Fitted sheet?
A fitted sheet is a sheet that is sewn along the area from where it lays across the top of the mattress to the area that tucks under the mattress. It usually has elastic at the corners to help it s...

In GEAR » Ultralight Furniture/Appliances?
August 17, 4:56pm

Re: "Ultralight Furniture/Appliances?"
I used to have a basic type queen sized futon mattress, with a wooden slat frame. It was very comfortable. I sanded and stained the wooden frame to match my other items like my medium dark walnu...

In GEAR » Ultralight Furniture/Appliances?
August 15, 2:54am

Re: "Headband with built-in earbuds?"
I'd run across the Tooks in my searches as well as a few cheapies. They all had large, hard speakers that I assume would kill my ears when sleeping on my side. I'll have to look into the 1 ...

In GEAR » Headband with built-in earbuds?
August 06, 6:06pm

Headband with built-in earbuds?
About a week ago, I was in a noisy restaurant when a commercial came on the T.V. advertising a headband with built-in soft earbuds (or soft speakers). It was too crowded and noisy to hear much of t...

In GEAR » Headband with built-in earbuds?
August 05, 11:17pm

Re: where to purchase micro/tiny sized plastic cordlock, cord ends, buckles, ladder buckles?
I'll say +1 for quest outfitters. I purchased a load of the micro cord-locks for all of my stuff sacks and ditty bags. They work great. No slippage problems with waxed micro cord. They might no...

In GEAR » where to purchase micro/tiny sized plastic cordlock, cord ends, buckles, ladder buckles?
June 30, 5:54am

Re: What's with Western Mountaineering weights?
I purchased a 2011 Apache with the maximum overfill option, and it was within 0.25 oz of what it was stated for. I've been very happy with the bag. Warmer and lighter than my North Face bag...

In GEAR » What's with Western Mountaineering weights?
June 30, 5:43am

All Reader Reviews by David Moreno

Showing 1 - 10 of 19 | Page: 1 2

There's so much ranting I could do here that I'd sound like a lunatic. Once when I was in dire straights financially, I worked briefly in a Walmart Photo Center. Never again. Slightly ch...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 26, 5:22pm

Mountain Gear
As noted in posts above, MG charges shipping on all sale items no matter how much the order total comes to. Normally not a problem, as they state it openly on their website. I've ordered pro...

May 26, 5:08pm
As someone noted above, backcountrygear has a little store in Eugene, OR. The problem is (we're just a small local store) is what I was given for a horrible customer service experience. My 3...

May 26, 4:39pm

Western Mountaineering The Company
2 years ago I purchased a Western Mountaineering Apache bag with the overfill option. I've been nothing short of extremely happy with the bag. The purchase options with the overfill left a l...

May 26, 4:15pm Golf City Products Barebox
My bareboxer works just fine. I agree that the locking mechanism is a bit of an overkill, but it's small enough to fit into my Deuter Speedlite 30 backpack and easily holds 3 days of food for m...

May 26, 4:02pm

Feathered Friends Customer Service
For security reasons, I use a separate banking account for all of my mail order, phone order and online purchases, purposely having no overdraft protection on the account and only putting money in the...

May 26, 3:49pm

Mountain Safety Research (MSR)
MSR is owned by Cascade Designs. So, in part this review will be on them as well. I purchased a Whisperlight International about a decade ago. About 2 years ago, the threads that mount the bottom p...

May 26, 2:05pm

Sierra Trading Post (STP) web shopping and service
I figured out a while back that prices out west are usually higher than here in Ohio so the fact that I don't feel the discounts at STP are as deep as others do is a little moot. Some of the time,...

May 26, 1:06pm

I've heard a lot of people in my home town say that I'm insane for spending total $250 on a solo tent (Contrail with poles, etc...). My response is, "You get what you pay for!" ...

May 26, 12:50pm
Altrec did have a discount program for writing reviews. I think it was 20% off non sale items. I used it a few times. Wrote a review and within 24 hours there would be a discount applied at checkou...

May 26, 12:31pm