BPL Community Profile

David Moreno (nerrek2000) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale North East Ohio
About Me I'm an ARMY Veteran of 13.5 years. I spent the years mostly in combat oriented jobs, mainly Infantry, which gave me a chance to see the world. That was my introduction to backpacking of a sort. Through my Military career, I backpacked more than 10,000 miles. Now I go simply because I love it. I also mountain bike, rock climb, kayak, and do nature photography. I wouldn't call my self an ultra-lighter per say, but my base weight is just below 12 lbs.
CityAlliance
StateOhio
CountryUnited States

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Moreno

Showing 1 - 10 of 79 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Forum » Thread

Re: "$20.00 OFF CUPON AT BACKCOUNTRY.COM"
No, I get one every year or two. It's not actually a coupon. It's an in store credit that they apply to your account for a free $20.00 credit. They send you an e mail notification for it. T...

In Gear Deals » $20.00 OFF CUPON AT BACKCOUNTRY.COM
July 31, 11:29am

Re: "Punching a hole into sawyer water bladders"
I don't have any experience with Sawyer Bladders personally. I punch holes in Platypus bladders for hanging though and have never had an issue. If the new style of Sawyer Bladders are similar, ...

In GEAR » Punching a hole into sawyer water bladders
July 28, 2:47am

Re: Jaws / Sharks
Well, if we're gonna compare apples, oranges, and handguns... I've technically have been very slightly gored by a wild boar when I was stationed in Hawaii in the ARMY. What are the chan...

In Philosophy & Technique » Safety in the backcountry
July 27, 4:02am

Re: Wind Instruments
I also have 2 bamboo didgeridoos, but they're a little heavy and bulky for backpacking. Both are carved and burnished as well, so I don't want them damaged. I have Native American rawhid...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Do you take along a musical instrument?
July 27, 2:24am

Re: Code
When I order from them fairly regularly, I don't get this kind of coupon. It only shows up occasionally when I go more than a year without ordering something. It's an e mail they send me...

July 24, 2:53pm

Re: "The real reasons why Israel is bombing Palestine"
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=682855851805542

In Chaff » The real reasons why Israel is bombing Palestine
July 24, 4:27am

Re: Do you take along a musical instrument?
Thanks Dale. I've checked out the site before and had forgotten about it. I just looked again. I was hoping he'd released one that's in the key of G or preferably in the key of F#...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Do you take along a musical instrument?
July 24, 3:38am

$20.00 OFF CUPON AT BACKCOUNTRY.COM
For anyone that has an account with backcountry.com that hasn't purchased from them in a while, check the e mail address you use for your purchases. You may find a $20 coupon good on regula...

July 24, 3:09am

Do you take along a musical instrument?
A thread on dulcimers got me to thinking. Does anyone carry a musical instrument with them backpacking? If so, what is it? Is it MYOG? I carry a Native American Style Flute with me on occasion.

July 23, 10:52am

Re: Re: What do YOU use to carry alcohol?
David, if you use black food coloring in the fuel, then what produces the residual green color in the bottom of the stove? --B.G.-- I would assume that it's the left over residue from par...

In GEAR » What do YOU use to carry alcohol?
July 22, 4:44am

All Reader Reviews by David Moreno

Showing 1 - 10 of 19 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

WalMart
There's so much ranting I could do here that I'd sound like a lunatic. Once when I was in dire straights financially, I worked briefly in a Walmart Photo Center. Never again. Slightly ch...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 26, 5:22pm

Mountain Gear
As noted in posts above, MG charges shipping on all sale items no matter how much the order total comes to. Normally not a problem, as they state it openly on their website. I've ordered pro...

May 26, 5:08pm

Backcountrygear.com
As someone noted above, backcountrygear has a little store in Eugene, OR. The problem is (we're just a small local store) is what I was given for a horrible customer service experience. My 3...

May 26, 4:39pm

Western Mountaineering The Company
2 years ago I purchased a Western Mountaineering Apache bag with the overfill option. I've been nothing short of extremely happy with the bag. The purchase options with the overfill left a l...

May 26, 4:15pm

Bareboxer.com Golf City Products Barebox
My bareboxer works just fine. I agree that the locking mechanism is a bit of an overkill, but it's small enough to fit into my Deuter Speedlite 30 backpack and easily holds 3 days of food for m...

May 26, 4:02pm

Feathered Friends Customer Service
For security reasons, I use a separate banking account for all of my mail order, phone order and online purchases, purposely having no overdraft protection on the account and only putting money in the...

May 26, 3:49pm

Mountain Safety Research (MSR)
MSR is owned by Cascade Designs. So, in part this review will be on them as well. I purchased a Whisperlight International about a decade ago. About 2 years ago, the threads that mount the bottom p...

May 26, 2:05pm

Sierra Trading Post (STP) web shopping and service
I figured out a while back that prices out west are usually higher than here in Ohio so the fact that I don't feel the discounts at STP are as deep as others do is a little moot. Some of the time,...

May 26, 1:06pm

TarpTent
I've heard a lot of people in my home town say that I'm insane for spending total $250 on a solo tent (Contrail with poles, etc...). My response is, "You get what you pay for!" ...

May 26, 12:50pm

Altrec.com
Altrec did have a discount program for writing reviews. I think it was 20% off non sale items. I used it a few times. Wrote a review and within 24 hours there would be a discount applied at checkou...

May 26, 12:31pm