Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

David Moreno (nerrek2000) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale North East Ohio
About Me I'm an ARMY Veteran of 13.5 years. I spent the years mostly in combat oriented jobs, mainly Infantry, which gave me a chance to see the world. That was my introduction to backpacking of a sort. Through my Military career, I backpacked more than 10,000 miles. Now I go simply because I love it. I also mountain bike, rock climb, kayak, and do nature photography. I wouldn't call my self an ultra-lighter per say, but my base weight is just below 12 lbs.
CityAlliance
StateOhio
CountryUnited States

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Moreno

Showing 1 - 10 of 102 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Forum » Thread

Re: Beware of so-called liquidation sales
I notice this every time I get on Sierra Trading Post. They have (supposed) killer deals on dis-continued items. Most of the name brands I've never heard of before, so wouldn't buy ...

In GEAR » Beware of so-called liquidation sales
November 19, 6:45pm

Re: The trail food you just can't stand.
Recently, banana chips have become a hatred of mine. Too much of a good thing became a bad thing. Hopefully I'll be able to go there again someday. Cesar and Ian, I remember those days to...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » The trail food you just can't stand.
October 24, 4:37am

Re: Best way to clean / disinfect your Platypus
I've been using Platypus bladders for well over a decade. I've cleaned and disinfected them using denture cleaning tablets. I've cleaned and disinfected them using baking soda and...

In GEAR » Best way to clean / disinfect your Platypus
October 19, 2:44pm

Re: Online & local stores for kid and adult climbing gear?
Online, I'd suggest: http://www.climbaxe.com/ (or) http://www.climbxgear.com/ I've dealt with both and have found them to be helpful and reputable. Their prices are better th...

In Gear Deals » Online & local stores for kid and adult climbing gear?
October 10, 8:22pm

Re: Options for a light syn vest
+1 Montbell Thermawrap UL Very light, compressible, and warm. Love it.

In GEAR » options for a light syn vest?
October 08, 11:22pm

Re: Thread Selection for Silnylon
I don't have as much experience with MYOG as many on here, but I'm pretty hard on gear. I've made 3 tarps of different sizes and styles, all from sil-nylon. I've also modifie...

In Make Your Own Gear » Thread Selection for Silnylon
October 02, 8:23pm

Re: Excalibur dehydrator $180 at Costco.com
I couldn't be happier with my Excalibur dehydrator. I have the 9 tray with timer. I also bought extra Paraflexx Sheets when I purchased mine so I could dehydrate more gravies and home m...

In Gear Deals » Excalibur dehydrator $180 at Costco.com
September 26, 10:52pm

Re: The box store weather resistant jackets?
I received one of those a few years ago for my birthday from a well meaning relative. I wore it in north east Ohio for an easy day hike in mid October. The temperature was about 60 degrees that ...

In GEAR » The box store weather resistant jackets?
September 25, 12:57pm

Re: Adding warmth - more clothes vs bag liner
I've run into the same problem. I'm a tosser and turner in my sleep, and always wake up tangled up in my silk liner. I've been thinking of buying a pattern for a hooded sweat ja...

In GEAR » Adding warmth - more clothes vs bag liner
September 25, 12:48pm

Stove Suggestions For Use With MLD 475 Titanium Mug?
For those who don't own one, the MLD 475 Titanium Mug is 90 mm tall X 82 mm wide. I've been using aluminum foil tightly wrapped as a lid. I also use a thin titanium wind screen. I hav...

In GEAR » Stove Suggestions For Use With MLD 475 Titanium Mug?
September 24, 7:11am

All Reader Reviews by David Moreno

Showing 1 - 10 of 19 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

WalMart
There's so much ranting I could do here that I'd sound like a lunatic. Once when I was in dire straights financially, I worked briefly in a Walmart Photo Center. Never again. Slightly ch...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 26, 5:22pm

Mountain Gear
As noted in posts above, MG charges shipping on all sale items no matter how much the order total comes to. Normally not a problem, as they state it openly on their website. I've ordered pro...

May 26, 5:08pm

Backcountrygear.com
As someone noted above, backcountrygear has a little store in Eugene, OR. The problem is (we're just a small local store) is what I was given for a horrible customer service experience. My 3...

May 26, 4:39pm

Western Mountaineering The Company
2 years ago I purchased a Western Mountaineering Apache bag with the overfill option. I've been nothing short of extremely happy with the bag. The purchase options with the overfill left a l...

May 26, 4:15pm

Bareboxer.com Golf City Products Barebox
My bareboxer works just fine. I agree that the locking mechanism is a bit of an overkill, but it's small enough to fit into my Deuter Speedlite 30 backpack and easily holds 3 days of food for m...

May 26, 4:02pm

Feathered Friends Customer Service
For security reasons, I use a separate banking account for all of my mail order, phone order and online purchases, purposely having no overdraft protection on the account and only putting money in the...

May 26, 3:49pm

Mountain Safety Research (MSR)
MSR is owned by Cascade Designs. So, in part this review will be on them as well. I purchased a Whisperlight International about a decade ago. About 2 years ago, the threads that mount the bottom p...

May 26, 2:05pm

Sierra Trading Post (STP) web shopping and service
I figured out a while back that prices out west are usually higher than here in Ohio so the fact that I don't feel the discounts at STP are as deep as others do is a little moot. Some of the time,...

May 26, 1:06pm

TarpTent
I've heard a lot of people in my home town say that I'm insane for spending total $250 on a solo tent (Contrail with poles, etc...). My response is, "You get what you pay for!" ...

May 26, 12:50pm

Altrec.com
Altrec did have a discount program for writing reviews. I think it was 20% off non sale items. I used it a few times. Wrote a review and within 24 hours there would be a discount applied at checkou...

May 26, 12:31pm