BPL Community Profile

Lori Pontious (lori999) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Central Valley
About Me Lori Pontious has not added a biography yet.
CityFresno
StateCA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Lori Pontious

Showing 1 - 10 of 449 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...45

Forum » Thread

re: camping
Bridalveil closes in late September. Try Wawona or Hogden, both open year round. Glen Aulin is pretty nice, but the river is low so the waterfalls will be less glorious than usual. The High Sier...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Easy Yosemite trips for nephews
September 17, 7:23am

re: packs for bad backs
Two thoughts - An Aarn pack has front pockets and balances weight on the hips like a finely tuned machine. Then there is the Dixon roller pack. It's at least worth googling and giggling ...

In GEAR » Backpack Options for Injured Shoulder: Lumbar Packs or Luxurylite Pack???
September 16, 7:35am

re:jetboil
You could just get a Snow Peak Giga and be done with it. If you have to have a heat exchanger system that works with other stoves, Primus has a whole line of them, some of them as fast as the Jetbo...

In GEAR » Disable the bayonet attachment on Jetboil?
September 16, 7:33am

re: campfire
I would suggest Ostrander Lake. It's six miles, but an easy six. It's at an elevation where you can have a fire. In October, permits go to self registration. You would stop at the Wawona...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Easy Yosemite trips for nephews
September 16, 7:30am

re; trails
Trails in that area are rarely traveled by rangers, and the trail into Tehipite is never maintained. There have been multiple rescues from the valley by helicopter. People go down the switchbacks a...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » tehipite valley sept 29, 30 and oct 1?
September 16, 7:25am

re: reception
The presence or absence of towers in the area determines reception. Period. A line of sight on a distant tower might be helped by more antenna, etc but it does nothing for you if there is zero signal.

In GEAR » iPhone Q: does larger size mean better reception?
September 15, 7:29am

re: I know someone who got one
It's a $30 tent in every sense of "cheap." It's a heavy 3 lb impossible-to-pitch-taut monstrosity that leaks in light rain. That vestibule is a mess. the Ebay listing is more e...

In GEAR » INTERESTING EBAY TENT...TARP TENT COPY?
September 15, 7:23am

Re:
Read the article before you judge it false - dogs had no problem finding OP sacks with drugs in them. Bears have a keener sense of smell. Ponder this. I am a strong proponent of bear can use and...

In Philosophy & Technique » Sleeping Wth Your Food in Black Bear Country
September 09, 11:20am

Re: capilene
The sole Patagonia capilene in the drawer reeks just as bad as the cheap clearance rack synthetic shirts do. I wore out two wool Stoic short sleeve shirts - they were lighter than the 150 wt woo...

In GEAR » Synthetic Stink: Scientifically proven
September 09, 11:14am

re: bears and food
They train search and rescue dogs to find human remains in a variety of environments, including working from a boat to find a body lodged in rocks in a river - SAR dogs have been known to find cent...

In Philosophy & Technique » Sleeping Wth Your Food in Black Bear Country
September 09, 8:33am

All Reader Reviews by Lori Pontious

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

ULA H2O Amigo
I find that putting the bag under a small cascade of a stream or letting it submerge in a lake works well. The length of the hose makes it easy to keep the clean end in my thumb while bailing water. I...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
July 19, 3:26pm

Warbonnet BlackBird
It was made by a hammocker and includes lots of nice little features that add up to a high quality, comfortable, versatile hammock. I've hung the Blackbird in less than optimal places, over brush ...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
July 16, 11:58am

Gossamer Gear
I like having a company that responds to emails, has great gear and provides great customer service. I have a Mariposa Plus - what other company would offer to retrofit a pack to the latest frame? I c...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
June 26, 7:39am

Hennessy Hammock Asym
The Hennessy was my starter hammock. I had an Ultralight Backpacker Asym. I used the HH for a year, and have to say that it completely re-organized my priorities for backpacking. I hated tents; cl...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
June 25, 8:55am