BPL Community Profile

Lori Pontious (lori999) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Central Valley
About Me Lori Pontious has not added a biography yet.
CityFresno
StateCA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Lori Pontious

Showing 1 - 10 of 414 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...42

Forum » Thread

re: The difference
The difference between the backpackers of today and Norman Clyde... is a broad chasm - there are no Norman Clydes today. Going for a week per year for a few decades vs. living in the backcountry - ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Broken leg, 6 days alone and rescued
July 27, 10:05pm

re: hot tent
Get a Lightheart Tent. Roll up the awnings, presto. Ventilated and cool. Get a Tyvek Tarptent. Presto, cool in the tent no matter what. Just don't pitch it in anything more than a sprinkle. ...

In GEAR » Napping -how to keep the tent cool for napping children?
July 22, 7:13am

Re: hammock sleeping
I find it amusing, as a side sleeping, toss and turn, claustrophobic, , prone to motion sickness, cold sleeper, when people come up with these things as reasons not to hammock. Never fallen out or ...

In Philosophy & Technique » People who don't enjoy camping
July 21, 9:30am

re: rescue
Most rescues are for solo hikers or people who get separated from their companions, so it's an easy correlation to make. In five years volunteering for SAR there were only a couple of searches ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Broken leg, 6 days alone and rescued
July 17, 8:40am

re: watches
After breaking several watches, i gave up. Then I found this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JIW14Z6/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?qid=1405464125&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70 clipped to the shoulder ...

In GEAR » New to fancy/modern wrist watches, am I asking too much?
July 15, 4:45pm

re: not relying on electronics
An inReach delayed messages for hours when a friend was texting me about a mutual friend she had been hiking with and lost - I waited for hours while she found him, drove home, and then called me t...

In GEAR » inReach SE: No tracking points, no messages went through today!
July 14, 7:02am

Re: fishing
Mattie is on the list of lakes from which fish are being removed, if that would alter anything. So are McCabe lakes. http://www.nps.gov/yose/naturescience/upload/4-05-11-Experimental-Fish-Remova...

In Pre-Trip Planning » need some trip suggestions for the yosemite area.
July 10, 10:44pm

re: permethrin
Some mosquitos (there are many subspecies) don't much care if you're wearing deet, either. I treated a short sleeve shirt and a long sleeve REI Sahara shirt with permethrin. They land, t...

In GEAR » Deet in a pump spray bottle
July 02, 8:39am

ACR
I got an ACR PLB. I spent five years volunteering for SAR. i also operate a hiking group with many event hosts. I received a text from the InReach carried by the host of a hike, that a group mem...

In Gear Lists » Spot?
July 02, 7:20am

Re: pasta sides
Yep, the sides need actual cooking - a friend gummed up her JetBoil pot pretty good after attempting to cook one, too. Couscous and any seasonings and add-ins you like to toss in - Just Tomatoe...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » 4 ingredients or less lazy freezer bag cooking
June 30, 11:29pm

All Reader Reviews by Lori Pontious

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

ULA H2O Amigo
I find that putting the bag under a small cascade of a stream or letting it submerge in a lake works well. The length of the hose makes it easy to keep the clean end in my thumb while bailing water. I...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
July 19, 3:26pm

Warbonnet BlackBird
It was made by a hammocker and includes lots of nice little features that add up to a high quality, comfortable, versatile hammock. I've hung the Blackbird in less than optimal places, over brush ...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
July 16, 11:58am

Gossamer Gear
I like having a company that responds to emails, has great gear and provides great customer service. I have a Mariposa Plus - what other company would offer to retrofit a pack to the latest frame? I c...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
June 26, 7:39am

Hennessy Hammock Asym
The Hennessy was my starter hammock. I had an Ultralight Backpacker Asym. I used the HH for a year, and have to say that it completely re-organized my priorities for backpacking. I hated tents; cl...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
June 25, 8:55am