BPL Community Profile

Lori Pontious (lori999) - BPL Guest

My Locale Central Valley
About Me Lori Pontious has not added a biography yet.
CityFresno
StateCA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Lori Pontious

Showing 1 - 10 of 390 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...39

Forum » Thread

Re: UPGRADE
I have a Never Summer - it is comfortable to the EN rating, not the 0 degree on the tag. That is to say, at 5F you will likely feel a bit cold. But it would be better than a 20F bag. There are...

In GEAR » Please evaluate my gear for winter hiking / backpacking.
December 25, 8:17pm

re: dangerous animals
If you are in the lower 48 states, you should worry about: bee stings (if you are allergic) falling off rocks falling into swift (or not so swift) water Then, there is the remote chance of ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » A resource for things that bite or sting
November 05, 9:23pm

re: Rae Lakes
I love the pictures. Thanks for posting. That is a juniper tree, not a pine at all. You can tell by the bark - junipers, cedars and sequoias all have fibrous red bark.

In Post-Trip Reports » Rae Lakes Loop, Sept 21-23
October 04, 8:27am

re: Henry Coe
There is very little water in the creeks. The ponds and lakes are there in all their usual tannin-filled muddy glory. Springs are also pretty low. Earlier this week I nearly froze someone at Fr...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Henry Coe
December 08, 11:42pm

FYI, for anyone else...
Big Basin (among other state parks) has closed trail camps for the winter, so Skyline to Sea is not backpack-able until spring. Wapama bridge should be repaired in February, or so I've read.

In Post-Trip Reports » Any backpacking area that is not wet/snowed out in the winter around Northern CA?
January 18, 10:17am

re: bear canisters
No, I chose the right one - but people all pack canisters differently. I packed 7 days in the Weekender with room for a bottle of wine (in a platy) and some fishing tackle. Not everyone packs like ...

In Gear Lists » Need Help with My big 4!!
September 10, 7:57pm

re: bear canisters
You do need a bear canister for that last leg of the JMT. It's mandatory in the Whitney zone and down the back of the Rae Lakes loop, and you will meet a wilderness ranger several times along t...

In Gear Lists » Need Help with My big 4!!
September 10, 6:39pm

Re: Re: Re: Inyo NF rules- Re:Ursak and the JMT
I thought it was pretty clear I was talking to the owner of the store who was selling Ursacks? I don't have articles. I was in there asking about using an Ursack in the Sierras, since I was int...

In GEAR » Ursak and the JMT
May 24, 6:10pm

Re: Inyo NF rules- Re:Ursak and the JMT
Do what you will... but after talking to the folks at Down Works (backpacking gear store in Santa Cruz where Ursack is sold) I will never take one into the Sierras.... They are not recommending the...

In GEAR » Ursak and the JMT
May 24, 4:22pm

Re: fly fish with spinning gear
My rig is a ten dollar collapsible pole, a forty dollar spincast reel (this eliminated a ton of frustration with the cheap reel that came with the pole), six pound line, two bobbers, a small collec...

In Fishing » Catch trout - no skills, cheap gear
May 17, 8:45am

All Reader Reviews by Lori Pontious

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

ULA H2O Amigo
I find that putting the bag under a small cascade of a stream or letting it submerge in a lake works well. The length of the hose makes it easy to keep the clean end in my thumb while bailing water. I...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
July 19, 3:26pm

Warbonnet BlackBird
It was made by a hammocker and includes lots of nice little features that add up to a high quality, comfortable, versatile hammock. I've hung the Blackbird in less than optimal places, over brush ...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
July 16, 11:58am

Gossamer Gear
I like having a company that responds to emails, has great gear and provides great customer service. I have a Mariposa Plus - what other company would offer to retrofit a pack to the latest frame? I c...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
June 26, 7:39am

Hennessy Hammock Asym
The Hennessy was my starter hammock. I had an Ultralight Backpacker Asym. I used the HH for a year, and have to say that it completely re-organized my priorities for backpacking. I hated tents; cl...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
June 25, 8:55am