Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Lori Pontious (lori999) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Central Valley
About Me Lori Pontious has not added a biography yet.
CityFresno
StateCA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Lori Pontious

Showing 1 - 10 of 546 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...55

Forum » Thread

re:
Some of you are proving that no one reads all of the principles. They are at lnt.org. In re: the original post - backpacking and bushcrafting are not the same, nor entirely compatible. Backpacke...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Backpacking and Bushcraft
January 26, 5:36pm

re:
It's also a matter of definitions- plenty of people are LNT. Others say they are and never read the whole list of principles so think they are covered by not littering and burying poop properly...

January 26, 4:24pm

re; bears
Bears in Yosemite do rip open or steal empty packs, as well as break into cars to check out empty and clean ice chests - that is well documented by rangers, and signs around the park warn you not t...

In GEAR » 2014 JMT thru-hiker survey - results on gear failures
January 26, 2:48pm

re: backpacking and bushcraft
Some of the survival skills I was learning in search and rescue looked like bushcraft if you turned your head sideways. A lot of the wood-chopping stuff - pine bough beds, branch shelters, etc ...

January 26, 1:10pm

re: hammocks
Note that the only similar item on Hammock forums has a breathable bottom. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54206 I'll stick with tarps for the views and comfort. Have ...

In GEAR » waterproof hammock sock
January 26, 9:38am

re: Ray Way
The best starter quilt IMO is the Ray Way kit, for people who can sew a straight-ish line. The quilt is the same dimensions as many a down quilt, the double layer version weighs about the same a...

In GEAR » Going from a Bag to a Quilt
January 26, 8:41am

re: hoes and shoes
Well, haven't hiked in the San Gabriels. But if there are cold, deep stream crossings, plus loose slopes (scree for example), I would pack my breathable trail shoes, a pair of waterproof (and i...

In GEAR » What hoe am I looking for?
January 25, 6:57pm

re: asking the same question twice of the same group of people will get the same answers.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=99243

In GEAR » waterproof hammock sock
January 25, 6:53pm

re: powdered butter
I use powdered butter in minute amounts in various recipes for trail food, get it from Packit Gourmet. Olive Oil is easier, needs no reconstitution. .4 fl oz (about 1 tablespoon) has 120 calori...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Powdered Butter vs Olive Oil
January 25, 5:46pm

re:
Having been on the nail-biting end of failed transmissions of two way devices, I refuse to do that to anyone I care about. I carry a PLB. At best the failure to communicate causes unnecessary fear:...

In GEAR » Personal locator Beacons (PLB's) recommendations
January 24, 10:48am

All Reader Reviews by Lori Pontious

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

ULA H2O Amigo
I find that putting the bag under a small cascade of a stream or letting it submerge in a lake works well. The length of the hose makes it easy to keep the clean end in my thumb while bailing water. I...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
July 19, 3:26pm

Warbonnet BlackBird
It was made by a hammocker and includes lots of nice little features that add up to a high quality, comfortable, versatile hammock. I've hung the Blackbird in less than optimal places, over brush ...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
July 16, 11:58am

Gossamer Gear
I like having a company that responds to emails, has great gear and provides great customer service. I have a Mariposa Plus - what other company would offer to retrofit a pack to the latest frame? I c...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
June 26, 7:39am

Hennessy Hammock Asym
The Hennessy was my starter hammock. I had an Ultralight Backpacker Asym. I used the HH for a year, and have to say that it completely re-organized my priorities for backpacking. I hated tents; cl...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
June 25, 8:55am