BPL Community Profile

Lori Pontious (lori999) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Central Valley
About Me Lori Pontious has not added a biography yet.
CityFresno
StateCA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Lori Pontious

Showing 1 - 10 of 465 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...47

Forum » Thread

pink flamingos are popular
"I read about a guy (NOT me) that carried a plastic pink flamingo the entire Applachian Trail and set it up by his tent or AT shelter every night. Now THAT'S class. (Talk about "ca...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Dumbest thing you ever carried
October 13, 8:44am

re: tyvek
I want a bathtub floor to be waterproof, personally, and after bailing out of a pouring rainstorm with a soaked tyvek shelter? I'll never rely on it again to be water resistant let alone waterp...

In Make Your Own Gear » Tyvek bathtub floor?
October 13, 8:41am

re: the deal with fat
The thing about fatty foods and dehydrating is that the fat doesn't dehydrate. If left for a long period without refrigeration, it will go rancid. I dehydrate chili for backpacking trips a l...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Dehydrating coconut and other fatty foods
October 13, 8:38am

re: snow sleeping
Many of the SAR folk of my acquaintance don't bother worrying about it and take just a CCF. I am of a colder nature and take a Z Rest with a normal 3 season inflatable - usually my BA Q Core, w...

In GEAR » how much r value for snow?
October 13, 8:34am

re: subfreezing/subzero
At subfreezing temps, I would take a white gas stove, a heavy base layer, a couple of midlayers, a nice puffy, down booties to sleep in/overbooties to walk around in, a couple pairs of clean socks,...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Layering questions for winter hiking at altitudes above 9,500ft
October 06, 8:26am

Re: seriously?
"For those of you who put your filter in your bag to keep it from freezing - do you keep it in your pocket during the day? ;-) I'd never recommend any filter system for winter hiking with ...

In Gear Lists » 4-season gear list for the Southeastern US
October 03, 9:45am

re: sleeping bag shopping
I think we all need to go shopping for gear with Mr. Gross. The only upgrade my sleeping gear came with was a pinball machine.

October 01, 5:38pm

re:warning abou filters
When temps are below freezing at night - which can happen in July in the Sierra Nevada - the filter goes in the footbox under my feet, along with anything else I don't want frozen. When dea...

October 01, 1:51pm

Re: iodine
Since iodine is not recommended for long term use, can cause allergic reaction, and has been demonstrated to be ineffective against crypto as well as less effective against giardia, I suggest chlor...

In GEAR » liquid iodine?
September 28, 2:19pm

re:
You might be able to camp a few miles in legally, but as I recall there aren't good spots and most certainly there is no water until you get to the lake. The Lost Bear/Ostrander trailhead i...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Easy Yosemite trips for nephews
September 25, 7:36am

All Reader Reviews by Lori Pontious

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

ULA H2O Amigo
I find that putting the bag under a small cascade of a stream or letting it submerge in a lake works well. The length of the hose makes it easy to keep the clean end in my thumb while bailing water. I...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
July 19, 3:26pm

Warbonnet BlackBird
It was made by a hammocker and includes lots of nice little features that add up to a high quality, comfortable, versatile hammock. I've hung the Blackbird in less than optimal places, over brush ...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
July 16, 11:58am

Gossamer Gear
I like having a company that responds to emails, has great gear and provides great customer service. I have a Mariposa Plus - what other company would offer to retrofit a pack to the latest frame? I c...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
June 26, 7:39am

Hennessy Hammock Asym
The Hennessy was my starter hammock. I had an Ultralight Backpacker Asym. I used the HH for a year, and have to say that it completely re-organized my priorities for backpacking. I hated tents; cl...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
June 25, 8:55am