BPL Community Profile

Lori Pontious (lori999) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Central Valley
About Me Lori Pontious has not added a biography yet.
CityFresno
StateCA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Lori Pontious

Showing 1 - 10 of 432 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...44

Forum » Thread

re: steripen
Since so many people with steripens have asked to use my filter when the pen fails, I tend to have a bias. It extends to anything electronic that is not fixable on the trail. I favor backflushable ...

In GEAR » Would a newbie survive PCT w/ a steripen?
August 21, 7:35am

re: the right leash
A Ruffwear Roamer does the trick for me. Converts from a hand held to waist leash, long bungee section in the middle.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How to hike with a dog and trekking poles?
August 18, 8:03pm

re: power bars
Throw it at the bear trying to get your food. He'll break a tooth, cry, and leave.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » The trail food you just can't stand.
August 18, 6:35pm

re: dogs
Unless you have someone who can sit in a campsite in one of the developed campgrounds with the dog, or can find a kennel in Mammoth Lakes, I'm not sure what to offer. The only places in the par...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Ideas for what to do with the pooch in Yosemite
August 17, 12:20pm

re: Bear Vault
Yellow Yellow is deceased but she taught her cubs how to bite off the tabs of the Bear Vault lid. In Kings Canyon, some years at Roads End the rangers will tell you to put the Bear Vault (if th...

In GEAR » Bear Vault in the Dacks???
August 15, 8:09am

re: cream cheese
I get a bunch of cups of cream cheese at costco. What I don't use hiking gets used on bagels, etc at home.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Cream Cheese Singles
August 14, 7:43pm

re: Sierra Nevada
I usually am prepared for being comfortable at 20F any time I go out into the mountains, simply because it can be that cold any given night, depending on the weather the mountains decide to have th...

In GEAR » Calling all Yosemite veterans
August 14, 7:01pm

re: packets
minimus.biz is your friend. Olive oil and all kinds of other condiments in tiny packages.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » backpacking food
August 14, 6:42pm

re: ursack
"One person's lucky lotto pick constitutes no proof at all that it works." "I think the IGBC approving it is good enough proof that it works, at least when properly used."...

In GEAR » Ursack Approved by IGBC
August 14, 8:22am

re: ursack
The ursack has been shredded enough times in the Sierra that I was turned away trying to buy it at the Down Works... and then there are plenty of pictures about in trip reports of shredded Ursacks ...

In GEAR » Ursack Approved by IGBC
August 14, 7:53am

All Reader Reviews by Lori Pontious

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

ULA H2O Amigo
I find that putting the bag under a small cascade of a stream or letting it submerge in a lake works well. The length of the hose makes it easy to keep the clean end in my thumb while bailing water. I...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
July 19, 3:26pm

Warbonnet BlackBird
It was made by a hammocker and includes lots of nice little features that add up to a high quality, comfortable, versatile hammock. I've hung the Blackbird in less than optimal places, over brush ...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
July 16, 11:58am

Gossamer Gear
I like having a company that responds to emails, has great gear and provides great customer service. I have a Mariposa Plus - what other company would offer to retrofit a pack to the latest frame? I c...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
June 26, 7:39am

Hennessy Hammock Asym
The Hennessy was my starter hammock. I had an Ultralight Backpacker Asym. I used the HH for a year, and have to say that it completely re-organized my priorities for backpacking. I hated tents; cl...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
June 25, 8:55am