Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Lori Pontious (lori999) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Central Valley
About Me Lori Pontious has not added a biography yet.
CityFresno
StateCA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Lori Pontious

Showing 1 - 10 of 476 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...48

Forum » Thread

Re: undercovers and condensation
Whereas in my experience with undercovers, the nonbreathable poncho loosely draped over the under quilt in the low 20s in the dead calm stillness of winter resulted in a puddle of water in the ponc...

In Hammocks » Hammock newbie, some questions and thoughts
November 25, 11:33am

re: hammock undercovers
I wouldn't use a non breathable undercover. A DriDucks poncho will work great. Light, but not terribly durable. But, multifunctional! I added draw strings to the bottom edges to draw up the...

In Hammocks » Hammock newbie, some questions and thoughts
November 25, 7:44am

re: Santa
I'm hoping Santa brings us good neighbors and sales on home decor. We're getting a house for Thanksgiving. In a roundabout manner we are also getting a gear room...

In GEAR » What Are You Hoping Santa Brings You This Christmas?
November 25, 7:38am

re: finnegan, begin again
All I have to say is if you are paranoid enough to take mace, bear spray or guns in California for protection, you're too paranoid to hike with me. I like to relax, not watch people take turns ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Let's talk about the advantages of being a single female backpacker for a change....
November 21, 7:54am

re: winter
Glad you are reconsidering. Winter is not the time to go alone, test new gear, or take chances. Hopefully next time you will have someone with winter experience along and have tried/tested gear up ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What sleeping system needed for Sierra hike nexst week
November 21, 7:42am

re: women
My protection is ME. I have a blue belt, trekking poles, and no qualms about neutering any idiot who thinks he can lay a hand on me without my permission. I suspect that women who broadcast thei...

In Philosophy & Technique » Let's talk about the advantages of being a single female backpacker for a change....
November 20, 8:34pm

re: dangerous women in the wilderness
Yeah, yeah. Whatever. Which is what I say repeatedly to people who are shocked that I solo backpack - this is California. I believe in taking precautions for *actual* risks, not ones that other...

November 20, 7:07pm

re: Ostrander
It's true there are flags in the trees and the terrain is rolling and not terribly steep (in most places) and without avalanche potential. However, one should go prepared to spend the night ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Ostrander Ski Hut snowshoe trip
November 17, 8:08am

re: poles
If you have one item that could be your shelter pole, your defense (beating off someone's aggressive dog is easier with something that isn't your flesh), extra arm length (reaching that ite...

In GEAR » Non-trekking pole PCT hikers: do you think trekking poles are actually justified in the Sierra?
November 17, 7:57am

re: California state campgrounds
I am from California. I have organized very large groups in state campgrounds - $35 per site, 6 people each, two cars per site, $10 per second car per night, third/fourth/etc extra cars parked else...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » California GGG #7 - Jan 29 to Feb 1, 2015
November 05, 11:46am

All Reader Reviews by Lori Pontious

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

ULA H2O Amigo
I find that putting the bag under a small cascade of a stream or letting it submerge in a lake works well. The length of the hose makes it easy to keep the clean end in my thumb while bailing water. I...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
July 19, 3:26pm

Warbonnet BlackBird
It was made by a hammocker and includes lots of nice little features that add up to a high quality, comfortable, versatile hammock. I've hung the Blackbird in less than optimal places, over brush ...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
July 16, 11:58am

Gossamer Gear
I like having a company that responds to emails, has great gear and provides great customer service. I have a Mariposa Plus - what other company would offer to retrofit a pack to the latest frame? I c...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
June 26, 7:39am

Hennessy Hammock Asym
The Hennessy was my starter hammock. I had an Ultralight Backpacker Asym. I used the HH for a year, and have to say that it completely re-organized my priorities for backpacking. I hated tents; cl...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
June 25, 8:55am