BPL Community Profile

John Smith (jcar3305) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale East of Cascades
About Me Hiking for 32 years raised in a cabin north of Fairbanks AK. Married 20 years with 4 children. Dedicated ultralight hiker/backpacker. Also long distance canoeist. I like to spend time exploring an area in depth rather than go as far as possible. Moved to Yakima in 2006. Found White Pass to Chinook Pass on PCT and that will be my new playground for the next few years.
StateWashington
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Smith

Showing 1 - 10 of 73 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Forum » Thread

worked out well last time
want to try it again, or are you full up?

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Seattle Area trip week of 14 June
May 17, 11:48am

peninsula hikes
short trip . . . . Hike from Johnson Lake to Johnson pass and back. Wonderful fly fishing in the pass if you are into that sort of thing. around 12 miles to the pass. Beautiful and easy to follow t...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Kenai Peninsula of Alaska: Dayhikes and Short Trips....
May 14, 9:34pm

Sub Kilo - re-stuffing
I love this bag too, and have used one for years. It is time for major work on it to bring it back to standards and maybe even a bit more. As for your bag, I would venture a guess that you have...

In Make Your Own Gear » Overstuff existing bag?
May 05, 11:06am

Fiddle Factor
I hiked the Wonderland Trail last year and after watching my two companions set up their hexamid twins I would not recommend them to anyone. Their fiddle factor was way too high in my opinion. I ha...

In Pre-Trip Planning » What PCT shelter for a European two-skin tent camper..?
February 26, 5:59pm

Try some coastal hikes
http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/Oregon_Coast_Hikes john the xcar

In Pre-Trip Planning » Need your Backpacking advice - Portland, Oregon
December 19, 1:37pm

Boundry Trail Pasayten Wilderness
Ozzy, tell me more about this trail. Doing a search I have found more than one start and stopping points. What is the 'classic' version of the trail? I might try it next year. I am lookin...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Looking for a challenging and scenic 75-150 mile hike
November 08, 7:30pm

Another idea to get your boys excited
Brian, Great points thus far. I would add that you might consider contacting your scout office and find out what other troops are really into BPing. Then contact those troops and see if you and ...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Unit is fairly new to BPing (and certainly BPing light): looking for feedback
November 04, 8:50pm

Some ideas for Washington
3 recommendations: 1) Olympic National Park Beach Hike. Very accessible, fairly low cost, lots of options, although the southern beaches are a bit easier to hike on. 2) Ross Lake National Rec...

In Pre-Trip Planning » 9 days in washington
August 24, 7:32pm

Everbilt vs Tyvek
I am going to buy a roll of Tyvek at Home Depot soon but came across a product called Everbilt. See link: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-9-ft-x-150-ft-Housewrap-AK709150/203934290#.UhGuHqN2...

In Make Your Own Gear » Everbilt vs Tyvek
August 18, 11:39pm

Giving up your rights one-by-one
@Jerry-"Are you saying that anyone with the name John Smith is on the watch list? Amazing!" No- I am saying that the TSA put 'me' on a watch list due to how common my name is...

In Chaff » Two Secure Email Providers Shut Down
August 09, 10:30pm

All Reader Reviews by John Smith

John Smith has posted no reviews.