Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John Smith (jcar3305) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale East of Cascades
About Me Hiking for 32 years raised in a cabin north of Fairbanks AK. Married 20 years with 4 children. Dedicated ultralight hiker/backpacker. Also long distance canoeist. I like to spend time exploring an area in depth rather than go as far as possible. Moved to Yakima in 2006. Found White Pass to Chinook Pass on PCT and that will be my new playground for the next few years.
StateWashington
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Smith

Showing 1 - 10 of 83 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Forum » Thread

gogglity mooglity or whatever
Dang!!! I just ran out of popcorn!

In Gear Swap » Quantum Endurance Climashield Quilt 5'X7' Slate Grey 75$
April 04, 10:45pm

Inviting others on trips
Rusty, I do this all the time. My boys love to hike and backpack with me, but even with all that they enjoy it more with friends. Typically I let them know that I am open to their ideas of who t...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » My family looking for other families to backpack with in the Jarbidge or central Idaho area.
March 15, 7:23pm

screwing your shoes and sometimes others as well
David, Another way to screw your shoes is to get 1/2" sheet metal shoes and screw them in a 1/4" and then clip the heads off. I used to do this with my racing flats for winter races or...

In Make Your Own Gear » I WILL walk the dog today! Study shoes.
January 23, 8:55pm

Rats
2nd I hope

In Gear Swap » FS: Patagonia Dragonfly Hooded Pullover Windshirt, Men's XXL, Green, 4oz!
January 23, 2:29pm

over-screwed shoes
David, I used to coach and run for UAA when living in Alaska. I did this every single winter. Some thoughts from my personal experience: 1) You have too may screws - drop to 12 to 14 dependin...

In Make Your Own Gear » I WILL walk the dog today! Study shoes.
January 23, 2:16pm

thoughts
I do not see why you can't make it with this set up as long as you understand you will be more tired on climbs and at the end of the day than everyone else all things being equal. 1) at ever...

In Gear Lists » PCT 2015. Suggestions Welcome.
January 19, 5:34pm

stonk bomb tent
Skunk?

In GEAR » Stink Bomb Tent
January 19, 5:14pm

sleep system and other thoughts
+1 on the sled. Make a pulk and enjoy your trips so much more Get a bivy for your sleeping bag and use it in the tent. Also get a vapor barrier liner for your sleeping bag. You will get virtuall...

In Gear Lists » Cold weather gear advice for Alaska (really...)
January 17, 11:00pm

Oddest item ever on the trail
Year ago in Alaska I would go for long trail runs and occasionally run into the same guy over and over carrying a pressure cooker in his hands while running along. I talked to him once and asked hi...

In GEAR » Oddest single piece of gear you have seen on the trail
January 17, 10:42pm

Keeping feet warm
At some point if you push the edge long enough you will get all your socks wet and your shoes soaked throough. My suggestions are: 1) sleep with your socks on if you can. put another pair over ...

In Make Your Own Gear » emergency socks
October 06, 11:05pm

All Reader Reviews by John Smith

John Smith has posted no reviews.