BPL Community Profile

James Watts (james481) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Sandia Mountains
About Me Avid hiker, backpacker, mountaineer, and SAR member.
CityAlbuquerque
StateNew Mexico
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Watts

Showing 1 - 10 of 60 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Forum » Thread

Backcountry showering
Wow, I had no idea that so many people showered (using the term loosely, I suppose) in the backcountry. I generally don't do any type of body cleansing unless I'm out for more than a few da...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Anyone else hate sleeping sticky?
August 01, 12:43pm

Re: Toni Kurz
>>Forgive my arrogant and snotty attitude, but were you there at the autopsy? No, and I doubt one was even done. I just base that on the general symptoms of death by hypothermia. Certainly...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Went too light- 5 dead.
July 28, 4:59pm

Re: Toni Kurz and harness hang syndrome
>>I had not hear of Toni Kurz until your mention; then researched him; what a tragedy. His death might have been complicated by Harness Hang Syndrome (Compression Avascularisation Re-perfusio...

July 27, 11:57am

Exhaustion Deaths
Actually, I think that people can die, still on their feet, simply from exhaustion. I'd have to research further if you wanted particular cases, other than, IIRC two Spaniards who died on the d...

July 26, 9:36pm

Re: The Ten Essentials
While the list in the OP is a little outdated, I feel that the "10 essentials" (or however many there are now) are an important guideline for emergency preparedness in the backcountry. ...

In GEAR » The Ten Essentials
May 31, 3:01pm

Re: Re: Re: traction advice
Jim, Just throwing ideas out there, but for a little bit more weight and space than the stablizers, you could bring an extra pair of light trailrunners with screws already in the sole. Switching b...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » traction advice
May 22, 10:47pm

Re: traction advice
I've never used stablizers (or yaktrax or any of the other "traction devices"), so my opinion my not be totally accurate, but my understanding of these devices is that they work fairl...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » traction advice
May 22, 12:27pm

Carbon Pole For A Mid
After seeing the awkward angles which my heavy aluminum Black Diamond pole bent to while staking down a Hex 3, and again seeing it contort and twist under heavy wind loading, I'm not sure I wou...

In GEAR » GoLite Hex 3
May 16, 3:24pm

I'll give it a try
Well, you've convinced me to give it a try. Sounds like just the thing for long overnight hikes and endless SAR missions. If I have any lactating man boobies develop, you all will be the first ...

In GEAR » hardcore ultralight food
May 03, 2:52pm

Flavor?
Doug, Do you like the unflavored or "orange creamsicle" variety of the Perpetuem? It sounds interesting to me, but somehow the flavor choices make me shudder. Thanks!

In GEAR » hardcore ultralight food
May 01, 1:36am

All Reader Reviews by James Watts

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

The Mountaineers Mountaineering: Freedom Of The Hills
This is the default reference manual for all things climbing and mountaineering, even seeing use as a standard text book for most mountaineering and climbing instruction. It is an excellent reference ...

In Books and Media
February 07, 12:47pm

Superfeet Performance Green
After reading glowing reviews on this site and other about the benefits of these insoles, I (for some strange reason) decided that my already comfortable boots could use some of these insoles. In othe...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
February 07, 12:35pm

RBH Designs VaprThrm Mitts
For christmas this year, I recieved a pair of RBH Designs VaprThrm mitts (with the "Hybrid" liners, thick on top, thin on the palm). Even though I've only had them for a month and a half...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
February 07, 12:15pm

MontBell Alpine Down Jacket
Stuffed with 6 oz of 800 fill down, this jacket packs more down in than some summer weight sleeping bags! With an overall weight of just 16 oz, combined with MontBell's usual level of quality (ext...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
February 07, 11:54am