BPL Community Profile

Keith Selbo (herman666) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Northern Virginia
About Me I've been a camper all my life. BK: (before kids) the wife and I would throw our bikes and a little wheeled trunk in the back of the plane and head for the boonies just about every weekend. AK: Camping was a rarity, but we took day hikes with the kids. Now the kids are on their own and we've discovered lightweight backpacking. Been doing it for three years. Base pack weight is 14lb and decreasing. Tent is now a Hennessy Hyperlight and I've replaced the Miniworks with a Sawyer.

People in down don't frown.
CityManassas
StateVA
CountryUS
My PDF Gear ListThree Season Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Keith Selbo

Showing 1 - 10 of 485 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...49

Forum » Thread

Never had a quilt
The pad is so much more versatile. If you go to ground or have to sleep in a shelter as is required for transiting the Smokies, the pad works. I use a three quarter length Neo-air under my torso ...

In Hammocks » Underquilt or Pad?
April 08, 12:51pm

Re: @ Keith
Here's the link. They call them convertibles instead of glo-mits in the UK. http://www.outdoordesigns.co.uk/products_gloves_fujiconvertible.html

In Editor's Roundtable » 2012 Backpacking Light Staff Picks
January 14, 8:16am

My three
Sawyer squeeze water filter: light, no waiting, lasts forever. 2K miles and counting with no regrets. The bags that come with it were practically useless to me. Recommend replacing them with sod...

In Editor's Roundtable » 2012 Backpacking Light Staff Picks
January 13, 8:53pm

Re: Re: A couple of things
David, Glad I could help especially because your findings are particularly interesting. The findings of other experimenters I've read have been most notable for their imprecision and have g...

In Make Your Own Gear » Painting pot black
January 05, 8:01am

Yeah but ...
There will be radiant transfer, but based on the results we've seen so far it is certainly not the dominant mode and likely doesn't justify painting the bottom of the pot black.

January 03, 3:36pm

A couple of things
The guy at minibull design tested blackened vs natural pots and found no significant difference in boil times. That made sense to me because the hot gasses from the flame contact the pot directly,...

January 03, 11:17am

Re: Re: Two things
"What diameter rope are you using that mice can walk up it? I'd suspect some 2.2mm dyneema arborist rope rated to around 600lbs would serve both your pack weight and your food well." ...

In GEAR » PCT Bear Bag Method
October 26, 6:44am

insights
Cola mentioned knots so tight it takes pliers to untie them. The solution is not to use knots, but lashings. One lashing technique is demonstrated in the Hennessy Hammocks web site instructional ...

In Hammocks » whoopie slings....
October 25, 12:06pm

Two things
I have personal experience with letting the tail rope hang all the way to the ground. It makes a fine mouse ladder. Now I coil up the end so it dangles a few feet above the ground. I've fo...

In GEAR » PCT Bear Bag Method
October 25, 10:04am

so was their toe protection adequate?
The toes look like they have just about as much protection as the New Balance trail shoes I hiked in over Pennsylvania's famous rocky AT last year. My toenails have grown back, thanks. I h...

In Editor's Roundtable » New Balance 1000 Insulated Boot Review
September 28, 7:01pm

All Reader Reviews by Keith Selbo

Showing 1 - 10 of 31 | Page: 1 2 3 4

Review

Category

zpacks Arc Blast 52 liter
This pack has been so comfortable that I considered downgrading my other pack reviews to allow valid comparisons. Zpacks has made some changes to the Arc blast since I bought mine last year. I'll...

In Backpacks - External Frame
November 25, 12:24pm

Osprey Exos 58
I bought this pack for the loads imposed by longer hikes which exceed the comfort capacity of my GG Mariposa. The decision to buy was a long time coming because the 58 weighs a pound and two ounces mo...

In Backpacks - External Frame
March 28, 1:43pm

Hennessy CAT CAPE PONCHO RAINFLY
Product: CAT CAPE PONCHO RAINFLY Manufacturer: Hennessy Hammocks Weight: 9 oz. Price: $89 This Rain fly replaces the stock fly on a number of Hennessy models including the Hyperlight Backpack...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
October 09, 1:04pm

Hennessy Hammock Asym
I reviewed the hyperlight backpacker elsewhere, but I wanted to comment on the review above that said it's necessary to tighten the ropes after lying in the hammock. This hasn't been my exp...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
October 09, 12:41pm

SteriPen Adventurer
Price: $90 Weight: 3.6 oz Capacity: 50 l. per set of CR12...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
May 20, 11:28am

Bearikade Expedition
First, I'll round out the product info of the first review with the dimensions: 9" dia. by 14". Pricey is an understatement. I surveyed bear canisters (see below) and this canister is ...

In Miscellaneous Products
May 05, 9:57am

Western Mountaineering Flight Jacket
The first reviewer in this thread summed up just about everything pretty well. I'd have opted to pay the fraction of an ounce weight penalty for a higher collar to avoid the inconvenience of usin...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
January 22, 8:43am

Hennessy Hammocks lightweight hammock shelters
For starters, they have some fantastic promotions. I got a Scout model free with my Hyperlight Backpacker. I gave it my daughter and she loves it. When I bought a Hyperlight for my wife, another ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
January 18, 11:01am

Backcountrygear.com
When the wrong Western Mountaineering jacket model arrived (They sent me a Flash when I'd ordered a Flight) they overnighted me the Flight jacket and a return label for the Flash. I like a compan...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
January 18, 10:51am

Remington RMHL2AAA-B
Serious Competition For the EOS Manufacturer's Specifications ...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
January 07, 9:20pm