BPL Community Profile

Dirk Rabdau (dirk9827) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest
About Me Dirk Rabdau has not added a biography yet.
StateWashington

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Dirk Rabdau

Showing 1 - 10 of 657 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...66

Forum » Thread

On tarps ...
To echo the sentiments of Bob, Sean and Justin, tarps do have a few distinct advantages. I personally have liked the bivy/tarp method, but I have been pretty much using a bug bivy and the tarp comb...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Never used a tarp. Deciding to use it for a long distance hike...
November 18, 11:04pm

Re: Enchantments Day HIke
Ian - I completely agree with Pack and Tom on this one - in many years, the top of the Enchantments have plenty of snow into August. This year it will likely be mostly melted out in July, but Ma...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Enchantments Day Hike
May 10, 5:15pm

Re: Backpacking health risks
From what I've read, the overwhelming leading causes of death and injury in the outdoors are falls and drowning. This makes a lot of sense, since people will engage in riskier behaviors such a...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Backpacking health risks?
May 09, 7:06pm

Re: Canister
Joe - I am very familiar with the Ursack - I own two. The status may change, but right now, you need an approved canister, and Ursack unfortunately hasn't had a chance to get any of their re...

In Gear Lists » another 2013 PCT gear list - lots of experience, zero long distance hiking experience
October 16, 8:32pm

Thoughts on your hike
You know, there are a lot of different styles to hiking. As far as going light, 2012 was the year to go very light. The Sierra were basically snow-free unlike previous big snow seasons. So planning...

In Gear Lists » another 2013 PCT gear list - lots of experience, zero long distance hiking experience
October 16, 7:56pm

Re: 3 day trail run kit
Mike - In regards to crowds, the answer is a definitive yes, August is generally the busiest time of year. It's a permitted route and there is a lottery. You must camp at designated campsite...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » 3 day trail run kit
October 16, 2:19am

Re: Wonderland
I don't know if you already plan to, but you could use the existing ranger stations along the way to cache food - just mail it to them or drop it off before your trip. The areas where you can c...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » 3 day trail run kit
October 14, 1:37pm

Romney Energy Policy
How do people feel about the Environmental positions of either candidate, especially in regards to public lands management? I read Romney's position papers with some interest, and his Energy po...

In Chaff » Romney/Ryan 2012
October 06, 10:49pm

Re: VEGAN Spicy Italian Wild Rice
Wow, that looks tasty. I will need to give it a go! Thanks for posting this, always looking for good vegan ideas for the trail. Dirk

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Gourmet Backcountry Food
October 05, 9:39pm

Mary Janes
Some REIs carry Mary Janes Farm brand of foods - the Mac and Cheese was pretty good if I recall. None of it is inexpensive. REI carries 5 vegetarian entree online. http://www.rei.com/search?cat=...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Eater Reviews of "vegetarian" offerings from Mountain House or other mainstream
September 27, 6:18pm

All Reader Reviews by Dirk Rabdau

Dirk Rabdau has posted no reviews.