Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Bob Summers (SM498) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me Scoutmaster of Boy Scout Troop 498
CitySan Jose
StateCA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Bob Summers

Showing 1 - 10 of 14 | Page: 1 2

Forum » Thread

I've Done the Hike From Lassen NP to Susanville.
I've never understood the attraction of the Sierras. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. If this reply isn't too late. I took a couple of Scouts from Lake Helen in Lassen N...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » CA destinations
April 13, 9:49pm

In 2009 we took 300'
For our two crews in 2009 we got 300 feet of 7/64 Amsteel Blue from Redden Marine. We cut 2 - 100 foot pieces for the main ropes. I don't remember for sure but I think we had 2 - 50 foot sect...

In Philmont » Philmont Bear ropes
June 14, 11:02pm

Re: Montgomery Kettle (ultralight chimney-boiler) reservations
I'd like to be in the 2nd batch, especially if you can get it hard anodized - pink is fine :-)

In Gear Deals » Montgomery Kettle (ultralight chimney-boiler) reservations
March 20, 6:27pm

Re: streams
You need to get the park map. Plastic is better. http://www.coepark.org/map-intro.html http://www.coepark.org/map-intro.html There aren't that many streams at Henry Coe. Most of the time t...

In Philosophy & Technique » What's the best way to get to Kelly Lake in Henry Coe?
February 15, 7:18pm

Re: What's the best way to get to Kelly Lake in Henry Coe?
I take my Scout troop to Henry Coe frequently. Easy at Henry Coe is hard to find once you get out of the Headquarters, Manzanita Point, Frog Lake triangle. For Coyote Creek to Kelly Lake, m...

In Philosophy & Technique » What's the best way to get to Kelly Lake in Henry Coe?
February 14, 11:19am

Re: Warmest Ocean Temperature Ever Recorded
The AP article is at best misleading. The 1998 SST (Sea Surface Temperature) and many other months have had warmer SSTs. Note the horizontal red line in figure 2 below: wattsupwiththat.com ...

In Chaff » The Carbon Flame War
August 21, 11:17pm

GPS Inaccuracies
My Garmin GPS 60CsX will show me travelling even when I'm stopped. This seems to be caused by errors in calculating my position. If I leave my GPS on for 8 or 10 hours in a single place (say ...

In GEAR » GPS Recommendations
July 25, 7:41pm

ClO2 info
As I understand Chlorine Dioxide: Warmer temperature means a shorter treatment time. I think MicroPur is speced for 70 degree water. If the water is 88 degrees, you don't have to wait as l...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » SUL Water with CIO2 or Other Methods?
July 25, 7:35pm

Re: Re: Re: How Much Gas to Carry?
Thanks for your responses. The easier it is to get canisters, the less we have to carry. If I verify that canisters are available at the Tooth of Time Traders, we can check the advisors' lo...

In Philmont » CANISTERS VS WHITE GAS
July 13, 9:27pm

How Much Gas to Carry?
I'll be taking two crews (total 19 people), hiking as sister crews on trek 25 at Philmont in 2 weeks. We'll be using canisters. How much gas to take? We'll have a Jet Boil, 2 MSR...

In Philmont » CANISTERS VS WHITE GAS
July 12, 3:35pm

All Reader Reviews by Bob Summers

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

REI Peak UL
I've been using these poles for about a year. I really like them except that they can be hard to lock up. Sometimes, it takes a few tries to use the "pull them almost apart then tighten...

In Trekking Poles
January 02, 12:04pm