M The eVENT Single Wall Tent: Here, Then Gone – What’s Replacing It?
by Will Rietveld and Ryan Jordan
An online subscription ("Premium Membership") is required to view this article.
Not yet a Premium Member? Subscribe now.
Already a Premium Member? Please login using the form to the right.
Not ready to become a member, but need the article? Buy access to just this article.
eVENT tents were shaking the market back in 2005 and Backpacking Light was on top of it. We tested several single-wall alpine four-season ("bomber") tents made of eVENT, and gave them rave reviews. We were flying high on the excitement of emerging technologies like ultra-breathable fabrics and Easton FX carbon fiber poles advancing the performance and reducing the weight of single wall tents.
Just when eVENT began to gain critical mass attention as a superior fabric for single wall tents, with the introduction of the NEMO Tenshi, Exped Polaris, and a full tent suite from Integral Designs... POOF! - eVENT tents were gone from the market. What happened? New tent fabrics are now on the market that claim eVENT-like properties. How good are they?
- What's So Great About eVENT?
- It Was Here, Then it Was Gone
- Is eVENT Really the Gold Standard?
- Will eVENT Tents Come Back?
- Is an eVENT Replacement in Our Future?
- What are these fabrics?
- How well do they perform?
- Table 1: Moisture Vapor Transmission Rate and weight of various waterproof/breathable tent fabrics in comparison to eVENT.
- The State of the Breathable Fabric Tent Market
# WORDS: 3400
# PHOTOS: 6
# TABLES: 1
Buy Access to This Article
If you do not want to subscribe and get access to all BPL articles, you may instead opt to buy this single article: "The eVENT Single Wall Tent: Here, Then Gone – What’s Replacing It?"